Belgian TDI owner seeks to have his pump checked in the U.S.

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

raphaeld
Glow Plug

Belgian TDI owner seeks to have his pump checked in the U.S.

Post by raphaeld »

Hello guys,

I shipped my vanagon Syncro with a new 1.9 mechanical tdi engine to the U.S. to do some travelling.
Right now I'm experiencing a loss of power in the engine and I'm thinking it's diesel pump related / booster pin (lda) related.

I have power in 1st, 2nd but 3rd and 4th are lacking that extra turbo boost.
So probably I should have the pump/booster pin (lda) checked.

I'm currently in North Dakota and I leave for South Dakota today. After that I'm passing by Wyoming and Montana. And I would like to go into the canadian rockies through Calgary and then to Jasper and Banff.

Before that it would be nice to have a diagnose and possible repair on my pump so i can cruise the rockies without lack of power (it'll be necessary!)

So my question to you guys:

Do you know good mechanics in the area (Dakota, Wyoming, Montana and Alberta or BC in Canada) that have experience in tuning pump, booster pins and other things on VW engines?

I already have had contact on this forum with timmayjimmay and he's based in Oregon. This is already very helpful. But I'm planning on cruising the rockies before i go to Oregon so a little check before that would be better.

Other ideas are welcome.

Kind regards,

Raphaël

P.S. Have a look at our website where we put our travel pictures:
http://www.enroute.me
Vanagon Syncro with a 1.9 tdi AFN engine.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Welcome to the forum and welcome to America!

I'm not a turbo guy, but I'll throw out a couple ideas.

If the problem developed when the vehicle got off the boat and you finished all the fuel in the vehicle it was shipped with, this could be fuel related. The fuel in EU and US are likely different and that could cause some differences.

Your engine may have been tuned to run more close to sea level, and at higher altitudes it will need more fueling to keep the power level up. Even if the pump is turned up, crossing over some of the high altitude pass levels in the mountains will certainly give your engine a hard workout.

Just wanted to put those ideas out there as this could be some of your issues. If these are the majority of the issues, you may not be able to correct them much, if at all. I'll let a turbo and IP person respond as this isn't my area of knowledge.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
Quantum TD
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum TD »

Well, it looks like you just passed by a Canadian resident expert on IDI pumps (your van would be a 1.9TD if it's mechanical, not a TDI. As such, it's an IDI).

Giles at Performance Diesel in Ontario is something of a diesel savant.

If you do have a 1.9TD, then you could up your max fueling, and turn down the idle. I also suspect that the problem ,ay be in fuel differences and/or altitude. Adjusting the max fuel screw is easy to do, and easy to reverse. It's also something you can try yourself with minimal hand tools.

I think that you may run the risk of screwing something up in the LDA if you have an inexperienced mechanic tinkering around in there.
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

Around 1996 there was a crossover TDI. 'Mechanical' pump which I believe our Belgian friend is referring to; as opposed to 'mechanical head'

I am somewhat ignorant of, but believe, that this is\the easy way to 'TDI' your Rabbit
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
raphaeld
Glow Plug

Post by raphaeld »

Thanks for all the replies,

The problem happened in the course of the last month so it's probably not the change in fuel, since it has been running normal with US fuel.

To be more precise about the pump: it is an original electronic diesel pump that was modified to be mechanical. So yes it is a mechanical pump.

The LDA housing is full of fuel and that's probably not normal. So it would be nice to have an expert have a look at it which eventually would lead to restoring back the power in this vanagon.

Again thanks for your help and did I already mentioned that both Canada and the US are wonderful countries to travel in? We are now in legendary deadwood, South Dakota.

greets,

Raphael
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

Before you disappear into the mist, what kind of cost is it to ship your vehicle to the US for a holiday?
Thanks,
Mark

... girls like em ;o)

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

So does that engine need to worry about the crank sprocket letting loose of the crank,
because of the weak key design?

Like the AZZ 1.9.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Slightly off topic, but hope your visit on this side of the world is great, and I was quite disappointed with Deadwood when we went there - we're not into slot machines.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
doonboggle
Cetane Booster

Post by doonboggle »

82vdub wrote:Slightly off topic, but hope your visit on this side of the world is great, and I was quite disappointed with Deadwood when we went there - we're not into slot machines.
Yeah ... but the series on 101 cable TV was sure interesting to watch ... and then to read up on the actual individuals.
1981 Rabbit diesel 1.6L pickup
2006 Jetta TDI
1971 Karman Ghia convertible
raphaeld
Glow Plug

Post by raphaeld »

Hey guys,

I'm now in Wyoming where the internet connections are getting scarcer but there's plenty of spectacular scenery.
So that's why you probably didn't hear from me.

Deadwood was indeed a dissapointment and yes I was blinded by the ultra good HBO show. But the real thing is nothing compared to the series...

Then for the cost of shipping my van: from belgium to NYC the price was 1500 euros (everything included).
It beats a car rental..

So my trip goes on right now and my turbo diesel is behaving like a diesel in 4th gear. but it still does the job. So I think I will pay a visit to a friend of the forum who live in oregon.

greetings,

Raphaël
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

raphaeld wrote:Hey guys,

I'm now in Wyoming where the internet connections are getting scarcer but there's plenty of spectacular scenery.

Deadwood was indeed a dissapointment and yes I was blinded by the ultra good HBO show. But the real thing is nothing compared to the series...

Then for the cost of shipping my van: from belgium to NYC the price was 1500 euros (everything included).
It beats a car rental..

That's a good price. It can be 400 Euros just to go 60 miles across from UK to Ireland :shock:
So my trip goes on right now and my turbo diesel is behaving like a diesel in 4th gear. but it still does the job. So I think I will pay a visit to a friend of the forum who live in oregon.

greetings,

Raphaël

... girls like em ;o)

UB3RATL4Sf00
Diesel Freak

Post by UB3RATL4Sf00 »

raphaeld wrote:Hey guys,

It beats a car rental..

greetings,

Raphaël
What part of Wyoming? Stop by Cheyenne and say hi!
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Great trip I am envious.

Post by hagar »

:raphaeld :Are you thinking that the (LDA) was designed to increase POWER ? it is not, BOSCH designed it for less smoke on tuurbos so they would pass German opacity test. In ECO mode yoou can get just as MUCH Pferd starke.

On a trip like yours a (ADA) would be more use. .To get a pump done in Amerika ? easy go to any diesel shop and get the list of BOSCH certified reepar stations.. The (ADA) looks ecatly like the (LDA) coke and Quantum-man have hands on experience.
Is your engine really brand new ?. Keep us updated on that trip. Please.

hagar.

PS : Jack will ship parts IMHO for the whole trip. He payes for this forum. Read 82vdub carefully he mention hights
Mixture is different at altitude.
Last edited by hagar on Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Climb every Mountain ford every stream Bon voyage.

Post by hagar »

:raphaeld : Here is a bit of Grandfaterly advise . NEVER USE TORQUE climbing all those mountains , use RPM. Is it a 5 speed ? For extra protection of I P and injectors and . !/2 a litre per fill-up of Aeroshell 120.(W will do) our fuel is too dry. in general.

A lot of BOSCH has toll free numbers like Valley Injection BC. .(LDA) full of fuel ? that is a small O ring on the small pin that follows the Taper aka Cone. .Any BOSCH shop can change it.

hagar.
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

raphaeld wrote:Thanks for all the replies,

The problem happened in the course of the last month so it's probably not the change in fuel, since it has been running normal with US fuel.

To be more precise about the pump: it is an original electronic diesel pump that was modified to be mechanical. So yes it is a mechanical pump.

The LDA housing is full of fuel and that's probably not normal. So it would be nice to have an expert have a look at it which eventually would lead to restoring back the power in this vanagon.

Again thanks for your help and did I already mentioned that both Canada and the US are wonderful countries to travel in? We are now in legendary deadwood, South Dakota.

greets,

Raphael
Here's my diagnosis:
'van drives fine when in first, second, and general cruising. {These are all low on requirement of extra fuel}. It has started to struggle in the other gears when loading the engine. This is a classic sympton of lack of extra fuel under boost. You will get no[little] extra fueling if the LDA diaphragm 's movement is restricted by the fuel leak into the chamber below it; after all you only have say 10 psi to fight against the incompressibility of diesel. :idea:

OK, I can see some doubt amongst the experts, as the diesel will never completely fill the chamber because of the vent....

BUT the action of the diesel escaping the vent 'clogs' it and acts as a restrictor IMO :wink:
EDIT: Also to consider, is the hydraulic effect of the LDA pin hitting the diesel in the barrel. Moreso, in the 1.9 parallel pin I believe
Conclusion; cure the leak,{a $2 fix IMO} and cure the problem of the Spaceship 'LDAing' too much 8)
Last edited by Quantum-man on Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

... girls like em ;o)