paraffin and other potions..

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

DanHoug
Turbo Charger

paraffin and other potions..

Post by DanHoug »

here's some recent observations on fuel potions i've been playing with.

- paraffin. tried a 1/4lb block in my veg oil tank just because it is heated and can swallow anything, solid or liquid. nice. it lowered my low speed nailing i get on veg oil pretty dramatically and gives a nice soft running. too cold here to throw it in the diesel tank.

- Amsoil Cetane Boost. i bought some of this because it is 100% 2-Ethylhexyl nitrate, a very popular cetane boost additive and i wanted to try it to tame some low speed nailing i get with veg oil. used at the suggested dose of 1oz/5 gal it really had no effect on nailing. used in the diesel tank, it helps somewhat but is not a miracle cure for the injector nozzles i have that are plugging up.

- Diesel Purge. MSDS says it is 60-100% naptha, 3-10% 2-Ethylhexyl nitrate, and a bit of benzene. this stuff works dramatically to clean injector nozzles very quickly. once cleaned, my nozzles are quiet in terms of nailing.

- naptha. whaddya know, this is what makes Diesel Purge work. buy it by the gallon at the hardware store for about $14 or buy a gallon of Coleman stove fuel for $9. tried the Coleman fuel mixed with some 2 stroke oil and it worked just like DP. add a bit of Amsoil Cetane boost and you've got Diesel Purge for cheap.

just another observation on India nozzles... since rebuilding my injectors about 10K miles ago with India nozzles, i swear i am getting deposits faster than my old OEM France nozzles. they clean off nice with Diesel Purge or naptha and then run quiet for about 3,000 miles and then start nailing hard again. i'm getting weary of this and will rebuild a set of injectors with some 193 Brazil nozzles i picked up. we'll see what happens.

-dan
'91 Jetta NA on WVO for 120k miles
'91 Jetta ECO
demon
Cetane Booster

Post by demon »

Thanks Dan for the input. Good to know. So far ive only been running Howes in every tank. Seems to work good for me, but id like to try the Stanadyne. I was gonna try out the DPurge. Thanks for the info!
vanbcguy
Turbo Charger

Post by vanbcguy »

Very interesting!!

Have you been using naptha like diesel purge (ie running off a bottle of it) or have you just been soaking the injectors in it?
-Bryn

1994 Jetta with a 1988ish 1.6TD - Jezebelle Jetta
1994 Jetta - 1.8 Monomotronic - Gertrude Jetta
DanHoug
Turbo Charger

Post by DanHoug »

running it full strength with some lubricating oil mixed in. i'll probably mix it 10% oil, 5% Cetane Boost, and 85% naptha when i run out of DP.

i'd tried the naptha (actually used Coleman fuel) and veg oil initially because it is so darn easy with the aux veg tank. it worked fine at about a 60/40 mix naptha/veg.

-dan
'91 Jetta ECO
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

I'd be worried about putting some of those things in a heated tank,.. for fear of fumes.
Is your vegy tank heated?
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
DanHoug
Turbo Charger

Post by DanHoug »

yeah, i worried about that too! i figured the small amount left would boil off over time, and the rest would get used up as the tank was refueled and used.

i knew just adding veg oil to 'dilute' it wouldn't lessen the safety issue as the tank would essentially perform a fractional distillation and drive off the volatiles early, creating a very combustible gas. but the risk was known, i wasn't stupid around the tank, and i knew it would go away with time. but i just really wanted to try it that way!... "Hey. Watch this..."

-dan
'91 Jetta ECO
avocado
Turbo Charger

Post by avocado »

DanHoug wrote:running it full strength with some lubricating oil mixed in. i'll probably mix it 10% oil, 5% Cetane Boost, and 85% naptha when i run out of DP.
Dan,

How long do you run DP through it for?

I've got a "new to me" engine that I want to clean out, but I'm new to diesels and don't want to screw anything up - especially since it currently runs!

Cheers,
Avo
Currently working on shoehorning a 1.6 TD out of a 1984 Jetta into a 1971 VW Camper (Hardtop)

"Huppity Hup! Rev! Rev! GO GO GO GO!"
DanHoug
Turbo Charger

Post by DanHoug »

you use DP straight, no dilution. so take your intake fuel line off after the filter and also take off the return line so you can circulate the DP back into your container you are drawing it out of.

it doesn't hurt anything, so feel free to suck down a whole can. i like to put one of those $2 inline filters on the intake hose just to keep any grit out that may come out of the return line.

-dan
'91 Jetta ECO
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

I don't like putting the stock filter in the diesel purge loop either.
A cheap, clear plastic filter works great.

,.. long enough to use 2 cans
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
DanHoug
Turbo Charger

Post by DanHoug »

i should add Sea Foam to the potions list...

Pale Oil 40 - 60 %
Naphtha 25 - 35 %
IPA 10-20 %

IPA is Isopropyl alcohol, 90-100% but note anhydrous isopropyl (99%) is difficult to locate (electronic suppliers have it). their MSDS says 90% might be used, which is available at drug stores as 91%.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/component/o ... view,file/

notice the Naptha element again... powerful cleaner for fuel related deposits.

-dan
'91 Jetta ECO
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Paraffins and other potions.

Post by hagar »

DanHoug and ALL : Paraffin is a miracle potion for VE pumps and Injectors. (there are many grades all works).

Are VE pumps lotions sensitive ? answer is yes , SO ? use caution.Remember BOSCH made the pumps for GERMAN Diesel # 2., that means all seals and O rings may not be OK in some solvents.. .I put some of the O rings in a glass of different solvents. O rings failed the potion test at hagars.. . When "Biodiesel" first were used , all heck broke loose . BOSCH repair stations worked overtime resealing pumps. It was decided that the best solution was to use "VITON" . , At this point I hope that avocado will help us out (he is chemically educated.).

Is Viton more costly ? yes. but IMHO worth every penny.

. hagar.
avocado
Turbo Charger

Re: Paraffins and other potions.

Post by avocado »

hagar wrote:Are VE pumps lotions sensitive ? answer is yes , SO ? use caution.Remember BOSCH made the pumps for GERMAN Diesel # 2., that means all seals and O rings may not be OK in some solvents.. .I put some of the O rings in a glass of different solvents. O rings failed the potion test at hagars.. . When "Biodiesel" first were used , all heck broke loose . BOSCH repair stations worked overtime resealing pumps. It was decided that the best solution was to use "VITON" . , At this point I hope that avocado will help us out (he is chemically educated.).
Oddly enough, hagar, it appears that the issue with the injection pump seals is not necessarily a biodiesel issue but an issue with the aromatic content of the fuel, which is also a result of moving to ULSD. For ULSD, when they do additional processing (hydrotreating) on the diesel to reduce the sulfur content, the aromatic content also ends up getting reduced. Turns out that these aromatics helps some of the rubber types used in o-rings expand: not a lot, but just enough. I've read that this effect gets more pronounced for engines which are high mileage and/or have been frequently cycled to high temps and back (kinda sounds like an old VW diesel, right)?

There's some more info here:
http://www.chevron.com/products/prodser ... -leaks.pdf

They also mention that some of the new fuels can degrade faster, which results in possible by-products that can attack the seals as well (I hadn't heard about that).

To put this in the context of biodiesel: BD typically doesn't have any aromatic content, and therefore adding BD to dinosaur-derived-diesel (dino-diesel) further reduces the aromatic content of the fuel, exacerbating the seal issue. BD can also break down the seals, like it does the old fuel lines. I'm looking into that a bit more now.

FWIW, the hydrotreating step I mentioned above is essentially treating the fuel with hydrogen. This is done for two reasons: hydrogen reacts with sulfur in the fuel, forming H2S, which can be removed (nitrogen too, forming ammonia) and it breaks down carbon bonds to "saturate" the carbon chain: essentially this breaks down carbon rings, aromatics, and some branched carbon chains to form more carbon-hydrogen bonds instead of carbon-carbon bonds.

Here's some additional info on the history of hydrotreating:
http://processengineers.blogspot.com/20 ... ocess.html
Currently working on shoehorning a 1.6 TD out of a 1984 Jetta into a 1971 VW Camper (Hardtop)

hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Potions.

Post by hagar »

--EH ?. ---and with that 15ppm stuff. ? --we have new problems. (we may have to use "VITON " seals)

hagar.

PS : I posted that in mar 2006.
avocado
Turbo Charger

Re: paraffin and other potions..

Post by avocado »

DanHoug wrote:here's some recent observations on fuel potions i've been playing with.

<snip>
- naptha. whaddya know, this is what makes Diesel Purge work. buy it by the gallon at the hardware store for about $14 or buy a gallon of Coleman stove fuel for $9. tried the Coleman fuel mixed with some 2 stroke oil and it worked just like DP. add a bit of Amsoil Cetane boost and you've got Diesel Purge for cheap.
</snip>

-dan
So I've got my injectors out and I'm wondering: think soaking them in naphtha (or any solvent - I've got some xylene I've been using to clean up some old 30-Pict 3 carbs I'm rebuilding) is going to be effective in cleaning them up/removing deposits?

I'm thinking "yes" and that it's easier than running DP or naphtha+two-cycle-oil through the hole injector system, but then again, the pressurized system and heat might also be necessary to give a good cleaning.

Thoughts?

DanHoug
Turbo Charger

Re: paraffin and other potions..

Post by DanHoug »

well, it might work as a soak but far far better is to give the nozzles a good run in a heated, ultrasonic cleaner. unless there is damage, it completely rejuvenates the nozzle removing all carbon deposits. i use a water-based degreaser like Purple Power at 45C for 1/2 an hour or so. spotless when they come out.

just as a warning, never use a flammable agent in an ultrasonic cleaner as you'll get volatilization and boom.

-dan
'91 Jetta ECO