Another Alternator Belt Tensioner - 3VX belts?

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

TylerDurden
Turbo Charger

Another Alternator Belt Tensioner - 3VX belts?

Post by TylerDurden »

[Update at end of thread]

First: Thank You to all who have contributed in earlier threads on the subject.

I rekon if the slack-side of the belt can be be calmed and get a bit better wrap on the alternator pulley, the tension can be reduced and belts & bearings will last longer.

The added pseudo-idler pully is simply a 150mm bolt with two bearings in tandem. The bolt needed a few extra threads to replace the stock bolt holding the alternator in the bracket. The bearings are from the tractor shop, so they needed a bushing to fit the bolt.

The belt shown is a 700mm cheapie, the 685mm is forthcoming. That should help provide more contact on the pulley's tension-side and give more potential for tightening as the belt stretches.

Time will tell how well it works...

EDIT2: updated title to reflect current mileage
EDIT3: revised title
EDIT4: revised title
EDIT5: revised title
EDIT6: revised title
Last edited by TylerDurden on Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:45 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Have a nice day.

'91 Jetta ECOdiesel TD - clean & complete (less motor/tranny) for sale

'82 Westy Vanagon 1.9 N/A - 23.5mpg
'86 Jetta TD - 45-50mpg
'81 Dasher Wagon 1.6 N/A - 52mpg
'84 Wasserboxer - DOA, parts donor
'94 Passat wagon VR6
'03 Jetta TDI wagon 230K, 52.3mpg
'89 Jetta N/A - 51mpg
'82 Caddy 1.6 N/A - Sold
Quantum TD
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum TD »

You may be onto something. Ever seen the timing belt setup on a newer 1999-2004 TDI? They have rollers like that between every major sprocket (Injection pump, cam, water pump, and crank).

I'm assuming it cuts down on deflection, which cuts down on wear.
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Post by Vincent Waldon »

Very tidy work...thanks for posting!
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs
TylerDurden
Turbo Charger

Post by TylerDurden »

Update:

I replaced the A/C belt with a Conti 947mm (it was a Bando 968mm). To get the Conti installed, I had to grind down some of the 1mm shoulder on the bracket. The shoulder prevented the compressor from reaching the bottom of travel. The Conti barely fit over the pulleys even then.

View from under the fender:

After tensioning the A/C, it was impossible to install the Conti 685mm onto the alternator. I went back to the 700mm belt. The tensioner pully now has ~300mm range remaining, and the A/C tensioner has about the same.

Another thing I noticed is grease on the surface of the new idler bearings. I suspect the bearings are merely shielded, not sealed. They will be replaced.

Regards...
Have a nice day.

'86 Jetta TD - 45-50mpg
'94 Passat wagon VR6
'89 Jetta N/A - 51mpg
'82 Caddy 1.6 N/A - Sold
coke

Post by coke »

Does your AC work, and if it does, do you use it ever? If it were my car, I'd remove the compressor and get the proper extended pulley for the alternator and do away with it altogether. You can fashion a bracket for alternator tensioning very easily.
TylerDurden
Turbo Charger

Post by TylerDurden »

At some point, I may get the A/C working.

The car seems to have the brackets for power-steering too, but no pump/lines.

I can easily live without either PS or A/C; but the front of the car already seems to sit a bit high, even after replacing the shocks & struts. :?
Have a nice day.

'86 Jetta TD - 45-50mpg
'94 Passat wagon VR6
'89 Jetta N/A - 51mpg
'82 Caddy 1.6 N/A - Sold
coke

Post by coke »

Ah cool. Yeah, I'd delete the AC. The pulley you need can be hard to find short of going to a junkyard and finding one like yours w/out AC but bosch dealers and any reputable alternator shop can get you the pulley.

I had to fashion up a tensioning bracket on mine when I deleted AC but all it took was a bolt, a few nuts used as spacers, and that was it. Well worth it. And my belt problems disappeared. Luckily, my 91 came stock w/out AC so I didn't have to worry about that stuff. :)
DanHoug
Turbo Charger

Post by DanHoug »

just a plug for removing the ac and ps.... i love it. steering has better road feel without the pump going and the system cools remarkably better without the ac condenser in front.

i'll bet that your front end isn't high... your rear is low. i was able to perk the rear end of my 91 jetta up by placing large diameter washers between the spring seat and the spring. i get a ton more suspension travel, can carry 14 gals veg oil and a several toolboxes for work without drooping. it has a look a bit like the jacked up cars in high school, which makes me feel young :-)

-dan
'91 Jetta NA on WVO for 120k miles
'91 Jetta ECO
TylerDurden
Turbo Charger

Post by TylerDurden »

I got some new bearings (sealed).

For those interested in specific source info:

Cap Screw: Grainger# 6AY46 (5pcs) M10x1.5x140mm $11.17 USD
Bearing Grainger# 4ZXH1 10mm bore, 35mmO.D. $10.63ea. USD

With the new bearings, no bushing(s) needed. :) (source nuts/washers local)

Regards...
Have a nice day.

'86 Jetta TD - 45-50mpg
'94 Passat wagon VR6
'89 Jetta N/A - 51mpg
'82 Caddy 1.6 N/A - Sold
Quantum TD
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum TD »

Slick
diesel freak
Diesel Freak

Tensioner Adjuster

Post by diesel freak »

I plan on performing the tensioner adjustment with the suggested bearings and longer bolt set up. How has it worked for you? Any suggestions now that you have been running it. Any updates that you may make available?
TylerDurden
Turbo Charger

Post by TylerDurden »

So far so good... I've only put down 700-800 miles on that rig since the install.

Most of the time it has been stored. Had it out this week for 500mi and seems fine.
Have a nice day.

'86 Jetta TD - 45-50mpg
'94 Passat wagon VR6
'89 Jetta N/A - 51mpg
'82 Caddy 1.6 N/A - Sold
the vegenator
Turbo Charger

Post by the vegenator »

I like the setup a lot. $30 ain't too bad for a nice aftermarket tweak that cuts down on the troubles of reinstalling new belts a couple times a year...

Are you still considering deleting the AC? Even up north the summer isn't always so kind. And with your new setup, I'd counter COKE and say go all the way and get that AC blowin' ice cold!
- Mike Harpring

'85 VW Jetta NA Diesel/WVO
TylerDurden
Turbo Charger

Post by TylerDurden »

For me it is as much for the reduced stress on the alternator bearings (from over-tension), as it is for the belt annoyances... Less tension needed for adequate grip.

It looks to be running pretty smoothly, but I presume there are still belt vibrations. It may be simply that putting a node in the path divides the vibration into two sections of partial amplitude.

I will keep the AC and have it leak tested in the spring. I like AC almost as much as most folks, but can live without it. This season I'm more interested in better heat. ::embarrased::

I am inclined to agree with DanHoug on the rear springs... I had two passengers in the rear seat and the back end was quite low. I reviewed the posts regarding spring alternatives and still am not sure what direction to go.
Have a nice day.

'86 Jetta TD - 45-50mpg
'94 Passat wagon VR6
'89 Jetta N/A - 51mpg
'82 Caddy 1.6 N/A - Sold
diesel freak
Diesel Freak

Re: Another Alternator Belt Tensioner Fix?

Post by diesel freak »

I bought the two bearings and the set of five bolts from Grainger Suppy and found the bolt to be very difficult to thread in completely. I have an inch of the head bolt unable to thread all the way in. I even tried using a breaker bar, the bolt threaded in nicely early on but gradually became impossible to tighten all the way in. I did manage to have enough bolt to add the two bearings and a nut with a washer. Hope it fixes my problem, any suggestions of why the bolt would not thread all the way through?