pictures of carnage after incorrect pressure plate install

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Dakotakid
Diesel Freak

Post by Dakotakid »

The center-core beam melter has been given a new lease.
Quantum TD
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum TD »

I'd still do as I mentioned above with the impact wrench, but on that last one with fewer threads, I'd probably torque that one by hand up to the correct specified torque value (whatever that may be). That way, you'll be able to feel if it wants to let loose.

Good luck.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Turbo crank.

Post by hagar »

damac and ALL : looks to me that joat is on to something EH ? there is a ding on tooth in ring-gear. there most be a ding on bolt or starter pinion corresponding. Bellhouse ? .I have no doubt we will solve this mystery ..

I for one is going to ask damac some critical questions. I like to point out that we had P O's modify plates in the past ,why ? beats me , it was to get all 6 bolts to fit..

hagar
vanbcguy
Turbo Charger

Post by vanbcguy »

The damage to the ring gear looks curious to me. It appears there is an outwards radial scrape - the lines all go from the center of the hub outwards. That's weird. The smashed teeth seem to have come in contact with the bellhousing.

The other thing I have some concern about is the bolt heads themselves. Many of the shoulders don't appear to have any marks whatsoever, which I would not expect from used fasteners. Generally there will be at least a small scratch or some galling where the shoulder came in to contact with whatever it was being tightened against. No such marks in this case on about half of them.

Finally if you look at the threads on two of the bolts in the last picture, there are at least 3 threads that haven't been flattened up at the bolt shoulder.
-Bryn

1994 Jetta with a 1988ish 1.6TD - Jezebelle Jetta
1994 Jetta - 1.8 Monomotronic - Gertrude Jetta
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

As for the bolt holes on the crank, If you only have half the meat grabbing the bolt, I probably wouldn't use the crank, or I'd enlarge the holes and tap for a larger size fine thread bolt. Maybe that's what was wrong all along, just you never noticed it before. The marks on the transmission don't look worrysome to me, just some minor scrapes. The perpindicular scrapes on the flywheel were maybe there for balancing purposes, or manufacturing purposes. The chewed teeth probably aren't a big deal either, unless a lot of the teeth width is gone. Just make sure there isn't a sharp ridge when you reinstall. I doubt anything happened to the transmission. It was in neutral, so it just stopped suddenly without much loading on it except for bearing and fluid resistance.

I would probably just enlarge the flywheel bolts on the crank and reinstall all the items with a throuough inspection (which seems to have been done). I loctite these bolts (and most on these rattle-boxes that don't go into aluminum). Your local Fastenall dealer can get just about any bolt you want, or you can get excellent bolts from ARP. Just make sure you're not using the damaged threads that your crank already has.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Also want to add to change the timing belt. A sudden stoppage of one part of the engine spinning may lead to damaged ribs on the belt. If not damaged, likely compromised.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Newbie changing a clutch EH ?

Post by hagar »

damac : are you ready to post answers ? . hagar ask sticky questions. ? . Mark mentioned that we were not getting the inf. , there was something missing and I agree. SO ? let us know.

hagar.
damac
Diesel Freak

Post by damac »

What pictures could I post at this point? I am no mechanic, just get out there and try and install things by the book :) At the bottom of this post I have a couple of both pressure plates and the starter.

I have some thoughts though as I was able to go out and compare some things.

1. All of the bolts backed out. I got a new bolt and compared to the pieces leftover and the 4 that snapped off also backed out a good amount. There is atleast a handfull worth of threads/gap when comparing.

2. I tried to install the new and old pressure plates and they go on the same. Start by hand lining up just over the crank nose, then I must get a mallet and used the bolts in their holes as guides. Must smack around for a bit to get it to "seat" against the crank. The old one had to be slowly smacked off as well.Is that not normal? I believe all my cars parts are original if the old owner is to believed.

3. Lack of a thread locker wouldn't cause these proper torqued bolts to back out so soon right?

4. Is the pressure plate fit so tight that I might not have smacked it flat hard enough before torquing, thus leaving a tiny gap that rattled everything loose? Or are the bolts final tightning enough to pull the pressure plate into place?

1985 jetta turbo diesel, 5 speed manual
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

turbo clutch

Post by hagar »

damac : here at hagars your pictures are perfect . As to crank ? I suggest "Helicoils? . Remember some of our best are still on "DIAL_UP" .I am on high speed cable..

Tell the history of that car as best you can. . This is a difficult case. don't give up..

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

clutch

Post by hagar »

damac : after looking at the last picture , sorry plate is no good . Get a complete clutch assembly Amerikan after-market stuff is good.
get the big clutch ..Then redo the crank and get new bolts. ,Bingo you are driving again. BUT that is not the end of it we must find what went wrong to start with.. . One more time the VW 1.6L Turbo is the best they ever made (up to 1985) .IMHO.

Do you know how to use and make lock-plates for the bolts ? .

hagar.