85 Golf engine and turbo

This is a place for us to share progress on and upgrades to our vw diesels.

Moderator: Fatmobile

coke

Post by coke »

I saw a few posts that said not to use it for w/e reason, but I know for certain people have used it. I did see the post about the Penzoil being identicle to the GM brand, so. I'm a stickler for details though and I'd probably pay the extra for the GM brand just to be sure. Thats me, though. Penzoil is a great product as well.

Most people that switched to it were able to get rid of the 2nd gear grind when shifting from 1st to 2nd, which was huge for the car owners. I had that grind, but I haven't heard it since I switched to Redline MTL.

I'm just thinking that when I get my hands on an AGS transmission I might want to try the GM Syncromesh stuff since I'll have no real idea on condition or wear. Most people said that with the Redline they had to put about 3000 miles on it before it started to work its way in good, and with the GM Syncromesh it was instant. So, that alone probably says something.
79 300sd
Diesel Freak

Post by 79 300sd »

I do have a grind when shifting down to first unless I'm almost completely stopped. Hoping that the fluid will help that.

I did read some that suggested that the pennzoil/gm fluid seemed to break down after a period of time, but that even then it still shifted much better than before.
coke

Post by coke »

Thats alright. I'd gladly change it yearly even if it did what its supposed to and it works as well as they say it does.
79 300sd
Diesel Freak

Post by 79 300sd »

I stopped and picked up the pennzoil synchromesh fluid tonight. I'll change the fluid before I start driving the golf. I spent some time at my shop tonight and got the drivers side cv axle in, adjusted the v belts, trimmed the timing cover some more and installed it, double checked my temporary exhaust hangers and the pipe alignment.

I also continued working on the intake pipe. I hope to have it done tomorrow if I don't have to work late.

I did start it up and let it run for a while tonight. I decided to make a video of it running to share with you guys. While shooting the video and revving the motor, the turbo broke free and started working. :D :D

I did take it off of the lift and backed it out of the shop under its own power. I'm getting anxious to be driving it again!!!
79 300sd
Diesel Freak

Post by 79 300sd »

Oh, I'm thinking I'll need an oil catch can and found this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-HIGH ... ccessories

Does anybody have any experience with this style or have any recommendations?
coke

Post by coke »

Makes me jealous. I'd love to have a turbo on my car, but the used turbo parts are expensive and the "new" kit I can get from an unmentionable person known for selling chinese junk isn't worth the cardboard box its mailed in. :(
79 300sd
Diesel Freak

Post by 79 300sd »

It wasn't all that expensive to put together.

- 2 1/2" Exhaust and down pipe materials $170
- Turbo Free
- Intake manifold $60
- Silicone elbow $12
- 2" stainless elbow $25
- Exhaust manifold $76
- Oil feed line $10
- Intermediate shaft bearings $17
- Pennzoil synchromesh $16
- Oil filter $4
- Rotella 15w40 donated by employer
- Timing belt $10

Total cost $400

I didn't think I even had this much in it. I had been collecting parts for a few months anticipating adding the turbo. Throwing the rod just made me go ahead and do it.
coke

Post by coke »

Yeah, I'll never live long enough to get a free turbo.

You can definitely hear it in your video though.

Do you have any better pictures of the intake you're using?
79 300sd
Diesel Freak

Post by 79 300sd »

Yeah....It startled me during the video when the turbo started working. It had not made any noise or moved any air till then....lol

I couldn't find a good pic of the one that I'm using, but found this one. Don't remember where I saved it from. It is not exactly like mine. My manifold only has the opening towards the firewall and was advertised on ebay Germany as being for a vanagon. There is the style with the top entry and also one that has both, but with a block off plate bolted on the unused port.

I'd kinda like to have a TDI manifold, except the runners aren't shaped right.
79 300sd
Diesel Freak

Post by 79 300sd »

Found a couple of pics of my intake manifold.

coke

Post by coke »

Nice pictures.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Yeah, the stock TD intake isn't ideal, favors the center cylinders for sure.
With all the extra room you have around the intake you could make something better some day,..
doesn't look like enough room for a gasser intake, like the VNTs allow.

I need a catch can for mine too, thanks for the link.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
coke

Post by coke »

That intake looks like it has a swappable plate to move the elbow. Or is that just me?

Someone on another forum used a TDI intake even though the ports aren't perfect. He said its working ok, with no detectable leaks.
79 300sd
Diesel Freak

Post by 79 300sd »

That style of intake that I'm using normally has the swappable plate to move the elbow, but this particular one does not. I had thought about cutting out the opening on top and tapping a couple of holes, but decided instead to just finish it the quick and dirty way with the elbow welded on a new steel plate I made. I think it should be ok that way for a while especially at low boost.

I'm still thinking that the TDI intake looks the most promising of any I've seen so far, although long term I might just make something custom and pretty. We have a brand new tig machine at work that has never been used. Had a thought about using the lower portion of the runners from an NA intake with a pipe/log on top.......maybe even polish it or have it powdercoated when finished.

I'm very capable of doing pretty welds and can be quite a craftsman when I choose to. This build was rushed due to financial stresses and I chose function first.
79 300sd
Diesel Freak

Post by 79 300sd »

I got off work on time today, so I had a while to work at my shop tonight. Started grinding the welds on the intake pipe and opening up the hole with a die grinder.

Then made a plate to close the bottom end of the pipe and welded it in at an angle.

Installed the intake pipe and put a couple of clamps on the silicone elbow.

Then did a mock up of my air filter piping. I'll need a little longer piece of pipe between the filter and the black rubber u-shaped piece.

Took the air filter piping off and went for a ride........WOW!!!!!! Either I've been riding around on 25 horsepower for the last three years in this or it now has twice what a stock motor has. I only ran it about a mile up the road and turned around and put it up for the night....had to get home and cook dinner for the kids. It is wayyyyy loud. Guess I'll have to go ahead and finish the exhaust as it stops just behind the axle now. It is very clear when the injection pump starts cutting fuel......you can hear yourself think. LOL. What an adrenaline rush.....I don't need the alda, it would just get me in trouble.

After I parked the car and locked the shop, I hurried up and left to get home to the kids. About a 1/4 mile away from the shop I passed the cops coming my way......guess I left just in time....LOL

I need to:
- connect the speedometer. I think it came loose from the cluster
- finish the exhaust to exit at the bumper
- install boost gauge, and maybe some other gauges too
- finish piping for air filter and crankcase vent
- take it to the car wash and clean everything I can get to

I just punched the numbers into the speed calculator at gearup. 5000rpm in third gear works out to 67mph.....WOW. No wonder the cops were coming with all the noise and that fast in a 35 zone!!!