85 Golf engine and turbo

This is a place for us to share progress on and upgrades to our vw diesels.

Moderator: Fatmobile

79 300sd
Diesel Freak

Post by 79 300sd »

I finished the exhaust today and properly supported it. Added a cast aluminum tip from a supercharged Pontiac Grand Prix GTP that I had laying around.....Thinking I'll replace it with something bigger as it made the sound not as deep and the ID is about 2" so the turbo spools slower. It is so much quieter now!

Also finished up the intake piping enough for now. I want polished aluminum there and a polished aluminum oil catch can too.

And shot a couple of short videos so you can hear what it sounds like.

It has a misfire under load sometimes, especially for the first ten minutes after a cold start. I think tomorrow I'll change out the injectors and glow plugs for the ones that were in the 1.6. The injectors only had a few thousand miles on them since I cleaned and pop tested them.

Took my wife for a ride tonight and we went shopping. Her initial reaction was "WOW....It goes like a normal car now!!!"

We did have to get a jump start when leaving the store...I had left it on veggie and we were in there too long. Switched to diesel but ran out of battery before it made its way to the injectors.

Thinking I'll order an EGT gauge from auberins this weekend....I just want to know what the temp is. Does anybody have any experience with them?

Going to order a cheap boost gauge, a couple of temp gauges, and an oil pressure gauge from another place.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Gotta recommend the aircraft spruce probe.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
chopper03
Glow Plug

Post by chopper03 »

Does the Golf body have more engine to firewall room than the rabbit or are they about the same?
chopper
82 Caddy truck 1.6 n/a, soon to be turbo
79 300sd
Diesel Freak

Post by 79 300sd »

I'm not sure about the firewall room, but I have an 82 rabbit out behind the shop that still has the motor in it so I can check if nobody else knows. I felt like the 80 rabbit had more room when I was pulling the motor, but it doesn't have the clutter of a/c hoses and the veggie kit.
79 300sd
Diesel Freak

Post by 79 300sd »

I have had a request for a drive by video, so I had my 15 year old daughter shoot one.

I would have thought that the turbo whine would have been more noticeable.

I did order up some gauges today.
- EGT
- Boost
- Oil Temperature
- Volt
- Oil Pressure
- Coolant Temperature
- Second coolant temp. to use as fuel temp.

I also ordered an oil cooler and oil catch can.

I put about 50 miles on it today and really like the extra power when cruising on the interstate. Where I would lose at least 20 mph going over hills, now I'm gaining speed. :D

The engine is running cooler than before. It used to keep the needle about centered on the led, now it is far enough to the left to almost touch the little symbol on the gauge.

Once I see how the engine is doing, and the mileage or smileage, I might think about head studs and doing the governer mod and turning up the fuel a bit. I can feel that there is so much potential. It cuts fuel just about the time it starts pulling really good.
79 300sd
Diesel Freak

Post by 79 300sd »

I'm looking at head studs and I'm not sure which ones I need. There are two part numbers listed for 11mm studs.

204-4701 which are the undercut studs.

204-4203 which I suppose are not undercut. Are they stronger? Are they the new listing specifically for diesels? They are a little bit more money, but not that much.

Which one would be the best?
coke

Post by coke »

There was a guy on vwdiesel's forum who had a set of 11mm studs for sale. He bought them on accident. Wanted 100 bucks or something.
79 300sd
Diesel Freak

Post by 79 300sd »

Yeah, I saw that post and will probably contact him. Just wanted to make sure what p/n was the better one for our diesels before I commit to something.
Caerbannog
Diesel Freak

Post by Caerbannog »

79 300sd wrote:I'm looking at head studs and I'm not sure which ones I need. There are two part numbers listed for 11mm studs.

204-4203 which I suppose are not undercut. Are they stronger? Are they the new listing specifically for diesels? They are a little bit more money, but not that much.

I've been using the 204-4203 in my 11 mm 1.6 NA, following a head gasket failure. These studs are very well made, and IMHO well worth the money, for the peace of mind if nothing else.

IIRC, I bought mine online for about $120 delivered, about three years ago. At the time, I talked to ARP and asked about the undercut studs. They were clear about recommending the regular studs.
'82 1.6 NA Rabbit
'80 1.5 NA Rabbit parts car
79 300sd
Diesel Freak

Post by 79 300sd »

Caerbannog wrote:
79 300sd wrote:I'm looking at head studs and I'm not sure which ones I need. There are two part numbers listed for 11mm studs.

I've been using the 204-4203 in my 11 mm 1.6 NA, following a head gasket failure. These studs are very well made, and IMHO well worth the money, for the peace of mind if nothing else.

IIRC, I bought mine online for about $120 delivered, about three years ago. At the time, I talked to ARP and asked about the undercut studs. They were clear about recommending the regular studs.

Thank you!!

I guess maybe I should call ARP and confirm that this is still what they recommend, and that nothing has changed. Didn't expect that a call would get a good response as they don't seem to be listed for diesel use.
79 300sd
Diesel Freak

Post by 79 300sd »

My EGT gauge and probe came in the mail today. I got the cheapest probe from auberins, hoping it would react quickly only being 1/4-20 threads. I did a quick test with a propane torch, and think the reaction time is pretty slow. But for $6.85 I thought it would be worth a try.

Was it Fatmobile who said to get the aircraft spruce probe? I guess I should find that thread to get the model number and see if I can budget for one.

coke

Post by coke »

Yeah, it was fatmobile. I guess the aircraft spruce probe is like the industry standard for this type of thing. Its reaction time is second to none.
79 300sd
Diesel Freak

Post by 79 300sd »

At least with a toggle switch to change between probes, I could use this one for an outside temperature display.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Probably won't go low enough for outside temps.
I can't remember the part number but Libbybapa has it listed over at the GTD forum.

Way faster than my VDO probe, my mechanic was shocked.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
79 300sd
Diesel Freak

Post by 79 300sd »

Went ahead and ordered the probe from aircraft spruce.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/i ... probes.php

Got the 1/8" npt probe that was recommended. P/N 10-01478
And got the 7 foot extension. P/N 10-01480

I'm thinking about getting some of the gauges installed this afternoon.......if I can get this headache gone. Will have to move the fuel gauge to one of the pods.

Going to have:
- EGT
- Boost
- Fuel level for veggie tank
- Oil pressure
- Oil temp
- Coolant temp
- Volts