85 Golf engine and turbo

This is a place for us to share progress on and upgrades to our vw diesels.

Moderator: Fatmobile

79 300sd
Diesel Freak

Re: 85 Golf engine and turbo

Post by 79 300sd »

I had a little trouble with the golf last week. The bracket for the front motor mount broke letting the motor be supported by the oil filter. Even with careful driving I ended up stranded when the filter ended up getting a hole in it from rubbing/hitting the subframe. It was late at night. but luckily a friend came with the filter from his diesel rabbit, a gallon of oil, and a floor jack so I was able to get home without a tow. I put the original old style mount on the next day after work.

The clutch took a lot of abuse in trying to baby it home, and it wasn't in the best shape anyway. For a while it has been feeling like the pressure plate doesn't have enough clamping force. It has also been inconsistent in where it starts to grab, sometimes near the floor and sometimes so high that it makes me wonder if it will hook up. Pedal free play stays the same.

I did some research and have ordered a 210mm pressure plate and flywheel for an 88 16 valve. The pressure plate is a new (not reman) beck/arnley p/n 0613603, and the flywheel is a luk p/n LFW209. The only place I found a 210mm disk listed for the diesel was from prothe. I ordered it (068141035DX) so I would have something on the way in case this turns into an emergency.

Does anybody know of a better disc that I could use? I Would be ok with one that tends to grab a little, but nothing excessive as I daily this car in Atlanta traffic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.