85 Golf engine and turbo

This is a place for us to share progress on and upgrades to our vw diesels.

Moderator: Fatmobile

the vegenator
Turbo Charger

Re: 85 Golf engine and turbo

Post by the vegenator »

I'm glad I scoped out the projects forum - this thread is exactly what I needed to get reinspired on my eco-diesel build. A couple things though...

- What's the status on your Golf now? Are you still spewing oil? Was it the Turbo oil seal or blowby?
- Did you ever switch out your Pollak 6-port for separate 3-port solenoids? I've been using the Hydraforce mechanical solenoids. Not bad.
- It seems that many years of experience with auto repair + access to all the tools and equipment + determination can make a project build like this fly by. I'm at 30% with the first two parts of that equation, and 200% with the last part. I do what I can and have others help with the rest!
- Your engine compartment looks CRAZY, in the most flattering way possible.
- I like the little tidbits about your professional background and family life thrown in. Makes the story more personal and interesting.

I'll be posting updates on my project in the GENERAL area (re-ring/rebuild thread). And I may seek some advice from you on Turbos, as I'm new to them.
- Mike Harpring

'85 VW Jetta NA Diesel/WVO
79 300sd
Diesel Freak

Post by 79 300sd »

the vegenator wrote:I'm glad I scoped out the projects forum - this thread is exactly what I needed to get reinspired on my eco-diesel build. A couple things though...

- What's the status on your Golf now? Are you still spewing oil? Was it the Turbo oil seal or blowby?

I ended up making an oil catch can from one that I cut out of a mercedes air filter housing....seems to be helping. It quit spewing when I took off the too small ebay catch can.

- Did you ever switch out your Pollak 6-port for separate 3-port solenoids? I've been using the Hydraforce mechanical solenoids. Not bad.

I'm still using the 6 port. I have always had good luck with them.

- It seems that many years of experience with auto repair + access to all the tools and equipment + determination can make a project build like this fly by. I'm at 30% with the first two parts of that equation, and 200% with the last part. I do what I can and have others help with the rest!
- Your engine compartment looks CRAZY, in the most flattering way possible.
- I like the little tidbits about your professional background and family life thrown in. Makes the story more personal and interesting.

I'll be posting updates on my project in the GENERAL area (re-ring/rebuild thread). And I may seek some advice from you on Turbos, as I'm new to them.

Thanks for the compliments. I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner but I never got an email that there was a response to this thread. Posted a couple of comments in the quote above.

I have been putting between 300 and 500 miles a week on it all year and it has treated me pretty good. It has started smoking a lot lately so I need to investigate. It is a lot worse when cold after sitting several hours. Developed a ticking in the exhaust the past few days and boost is down from 14lbs to around 8lbs. Will have to take off the manifold and reseal it. It is probably time to rebuild a 1.6 and put in there and get a smaller turbo....faster spooling would be nicer for more laid back driving.
79 300sd
Diesel Freak

Post by 79 300sd »

I tightened up the exhaust manifold the other day and boost is back up to normal. Been wanting to pull the down pipe to see if the turbo is pushing oil out the exhaust side. Figure it is that or the valve guides/seals. It is not using much oil, but makes a huge cloud for the first half mile of driving in the mornings.

I have started collecting parts for a rebuild. I have grant rings, new valve guides, valve stem seals, victor reinz head gasket, shifter bushings, and just ordered a new turbo last night. The turbo is a kkk from a fiat/lancia 1.3L JTD engine. It looks to be a vnt turbo and I hope it is a good match for this 1.5 or the 1.6. I'll have to do some fab work to get it on there, but am excited at the possibility of having boost at lower rpm.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... AUS%3A1123

I also was looking at this one as a quick drop in for until I get a new engine built with the VNT. I'm wondering if it will be an improvement over the mercedes turbo.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... K:MEWAX:IT

Also thinking about intercooling sometime soon. I have seen the egt rise about 150 degrees whenever it gets above 90 outside. That should really complicate the engine compartment.
79 300sd
Diesel Freak

Post by 79 300sd »

Got the vnt in the mail today. Can't believe how small it is! Thinking there will be enough room to make an adapter to mount it to the t3 manifold. I'll have to study some on how to control it though. Thinking about a vacuum solenoid and and adjustable pressure switch.

Here is the description and the photos from the ebay listing.

Fiat / Lancia 1.3 JTD Turbocharger. Removed from a brand new egine that was never installed in a vehicle, KKK Borg Warner turbocharger part number 55198317 for Fiat Grande Punto / Doblo 1.3 JTD and Lancia Ypsilon 1.3 JTD. May be under part numbers 5435 988 0014 and 5435 970 0014. Shaft spins freely with no wobble and no cracks in exhaust flange. Turbo is in excellent shape. Complete including oil feed and return lines plus block fitting.

79 300sd
Diesel Freak

Post by 79 300sd »

I have been ordering more stuff and getting ready to do a couple of builds. I ordered the ARP studs which arrived today, and found a K03 turbo on ebay for $56 shipped. I also ordered a manifold for the K03 from prothe along with a few other odds and ends. I also picked up some 3/8" plate from work to make the turbo mounting flange and downpipe flange.

I have put 23k miles on the 1.5 with the mercedes t3 this year and have really enjoyed the extra power, but I want more usable power at lower rpm. I'm thinking about trying the vnt turbo first and if it works out good, then I will use the K03 on the tan 82 rabbit that has been sitting out back patiently waiting to be resurrected. I can't imagine driving one of these again without a turbo.

I'll be doing a re-ring, freshening up the head, head studs, and maybe an intercooler. I'm planning on tearing into it in the next week or so and have it back up and running in just a few days. I'll take lots of pics during the build and post them here as soon as I get started.
the vegenator
Turbo Charger

Post by the vegenator »

You're a machine! Nice to see the progress you're making... gathering parts certainly causes projects like these to take forever. I finally dropped my engine in today after four months of building - couldn't be happier about potentially driving her around in a few days!

Where will you get an intercooler from? I couldn't imagine where there would be room for one under the hood...
- Mike Harpring

'85 VW Jetta NA Diesel/WVO
79 300sd
Diesel Freak

Post by 79 300sd »

I have been watching your thread and looking forward to seeing you get it on the road.

The hunt for an affordable turbo is what took the longest. I have been watching for one for several months, then found two within a week. Almost everything else I need is here now. I should be able to get the engine work done in a weekend, then it will just be fab time for making the turbo fit.

I haven't measured yet, but was thinking about mounting it below the bumper where the cutout is for the little plastic grill. I have been thinking about a fmic kit with the pipe from ebay. Something like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-5-INTE ... ccessories

I just don't know if I should get 2" or 2.5". The 2" would match up to my existing intake better, is the same size as the outlet on the K03, and would be less volume which would hopefully reduce lag. But I wonder if I need 2.5" in order to have enough flow. The 2" would be easier to plumb in with all the other goodies under there......unless I run the pipes under the oil pan and make a skid plate or something to protect them. Will probably do the turbo first and then see how it does before adding the intercooler.
79 300sd
Diesel Freak

Post by 79 300sd »

I had surgery on friday and have been on pain meds all weekend. I didn't take any today so I could drive over to the shop and do a little something. I was going stir crazy sitting at the house all alone. My wife moved out 8 weeks ago and the kids are staying with her most days, so being all alone and not able to drive has been frustrating.

Anyway, I went to my shop and had a look around to see how I would mount the turbo. I decided on the original manifold from the golf. I cut off the toilet bowl area and will make a flange to weld on there.

I didn't accomplish much, but it was all I could do today. I do feel better now that I actually started on it though.
79 300sd
Diesel Freak

Post by 79 300sd »

I haven't done anything more to the golf yet, but I did get the K03 in the mail today and was surprised to see that it is similar in size to the BV35 vnt that I already have.

Now I'm not sure which one I want to put on the golf. I already have a K03 manifold and I wouldn't have to make as many flanges with it, but the vnt would be cool to try.
79 300sd
Diesel Freak

Post by 79 300sd »

I decided on the K03 for now. I went to my shop today and made a flange for the downpipe, one for the oil drain, and one to block off the extra hole in the manifold. I came back home and removed the big T3, exhaust manifold, downpipe, and intake manifold. I found that 3 exhaust studs had broken....two are long enough to get nuts on to back them out, but the third is broken off flush with the head!!!

I did a test fit of the new exhaust manifold and the K03 without gaskets. It looks like there is just enough room to mount it. The wastegate can site right against the block heater cord. There should be just a little clearance with gaskets installed. I also found a radiator hose at the parts store that I cut a section out of to use between the turbo and the intake for now. I'm thinking I will intercool it pretty soon.

I need to mock up my new downpipe, then I'll go ahead and pull the head and pistons so I can freshen it up with new rings and a valve job.

The flange is made from 3/8" thick plate and is at the limit of what my plasma cutter can do. I'll have to spend some time cleaning it up.

Turbo oil drain flange.

The K03 looks so tiny compared to the T3 I was running.

Just enough clearance to the motor mount bracket to get the intake hose on and the downpipe looks like it will be easy compared to the last one I made.

I'll have to find that piece of 3" aluminum I have stashed somewhere. I'm thinking about mounting the air filter pointing straight at the master cylinder. Guess I'll probably have to shield it from any rain that would get past the hood and from the heat of the exhaust.
79 300sd
Diesel Freak

Post by 79 300sd »

I spent a little time on the golf today before the afternoon rain shower got here. I was able to get the head off in less than an hour. It looks like oil is running out from around the intake calve on cylinder #1. Pistons look good...the carbon wiped right off with a rag and I could still read the markings. I wiped up the top of a couple of the cylinders and there is no ridge. Looks like a hone with fresh rings, a valve job, and head studs should put this one ready for the new used turbo.

I'll be doing all of the head work myself also. I have an 1960's sioux valve grinding machine, and a valve seat grinder of about the same age.....they give pretty good results.

79 300sd
Diesel Freak

Post by 79 300sd »

I went back out after the rain quit and was able to get the pistons out. It looks like I need rod bearings. I could see a couple of spots that were starting to flake, and they have quite a bit of wear on them. I didn't measure the ring gap because I didn't have a set of feeler gauges in the trunk of the car.

I was wondering about the marks on the piston just above the rings. I don't think they are a problem, but wonder what caused them. A couple of the pistons have similar marks.

coke

Post by coke »

I demand more pictures of this project!
79 300sd
Diesel Freak

Post by 79 300sd »

LOL....should I blow up your phone by texting them to you. I bet you just want to see the finished pictures so I can get to the other project.

I feel like I'm posting too much already, but I'll take some more when I make some more progress.
coke

Post by coke »

The computer this forum is hosted on has _PLENTY_ of space and bandwith for pictures. I like pictures. So does everyone else.