85 Golf engine and turbo

This is a place for us to share progress on and upgrades to our vw diesels.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Re: 85 Golf engine and turbo

Post by Fatmobile »

That's an odd place for an injection pump to leak.
I haven't seen a leak start there before, o-ring doesn't have any moving parts against it.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
79 300sd
Diesel Freak

Post by 79 300sd »

Yeah, I thought it seemed wrong too. I'll replace the washer for the timing plug first and hope that it just tricked me.
79 300sd
Diesel Freak

Post by 79 300sd »

Well, it was the o-ring. I had to pull all of the delivery valves, then just used a big pair of alignment pliers to spin the piece out and installed a new o-ring. A pipe wrench would have worked also.

I have also been working on another pump. I took a bad 107AG and cut the post off. It had a bad head so I used the 12mm head and camplate from the turbo pump. I hope it works out ok.

I need to look around to see what adjustments need to be checked.
79 300sd
Diesel Freak

Post by 79 300sd »

I can't believe it has been about a month since I have posted in this thread. There have been a lot of things getting in the way. I was down for about a week from the flu, and have been dealing with a lot of personal issues.

I plan to finish up the turbo injection pump tomorrow and get it installed. I really hope it helps with the top end power. If it doesn't I will seriously look at a compound turbo setup.

I did work on the shifter this week. Installed a usrt shift bushing/ball kit one evening after work. Yesterday I took out the shifter box and replaced the orange bushing which was almost completely gone. I also replaced the ball and socket for the shifter. It is so much better now without all of that shifter slop. I'm shopping on mcmaster right now for the parts required to make new shift rods similar to what usrt offers. It looks like the cost will be less than half of ordering a kit. I'll also be making a short shift kit in the next few days.

Then there are the front control arm bushings that need replaced. I have a set of urethane bushings waiting to be installed. I hope to have time to put it on the lift and do them tomorrow after I finish with the injection pump.
79 300sd
Diesel Freak

Post by 79 300sd »

I didn't get a thing done today. We had flooding and tornadoes all day.
79 300sd
Diesel Freak

Post by 79 300sd »

Progress has been slow on the golf, but I did manage to put on a set of wheels. Glad to not be running the old steel wheels any more.

I have the shifter parts from mcmaster, a turbo rebuild kit, urethane control arm bushings, and I'm almost done with the turbo pump. Now I just have to get busy and install everything. After that I might just paint it.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

I've seen steelys all painted up and actually looking nice,
but those rims do look good on it.
What size tires are those?
They look kind of bolloony,
I put 185/65/14s on my Rabbit, also kinda baloony, and I really like the ride and handleing.

A modest MK2 Golf diesel, that'll be a comfortable ride down the road when it's done.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
79 300sd
Diesel Freak

Post by 79 300sd »

Thanks Fatmobile. I have been meaning to bolt those on for a couple of years and never got around to it till yesterday. I'm feeling a lot better about the looks of car now. The tires are 185/60/14 michelin pilot exalto a/s. I was surprised to see that they are directional. Guess I won't be cross rotating them without a trip to the tire store.

I do like the rubber being wider than the rims. Never understood why kids want to "stretch" the tires and have so much rim showing past the rubber. LOL

The ride is so nice now. Lots softer and smoother on the interstate, but handling is a lot tighter around town. Feels like a win win situation.

It is getting to where I prefer to drive the golf. Both of the mercedes sit most of the time now. I do usually drive the wagon on friday evening and saturday while I have the kids. Kinda need the extra room with them. The black 420sel sits mostly, but is used for date nights. LOL
79 300sd
Diesel Freak

Post by 79 300sd »

Thought I would stop by and give an update on the golf. I made a weighted shift rod with heim joint ends and also made a short shift kit. It is loads better now, but I may try to shorten the shift a little more.

I had the bearing in the K03 fail and it is missing about half of every blade on the compressor side. I have put the T3 back on as a temporary fix and really enjoy the extra top end power with it. I can get about 10mph more in third gear with the T3 which makes a huge difference getting on the interstate every morning.

I think I'll probably go ahead and install the little vnt soon and see how it does. I'll just have to make more flanges and a new down pipe.
79 300sd
Diesel Freak

Post by 79 300sd »

It's been a while since I've been on here. The little 1.5 is still going strong. I ended up buying a new K03 and putting a turbo top on the 107A pump. I also let it rest a while so I could take out the dents and paint it. I had planned on going back with silver but it didn't cover well.....you could see the primer through two coats of the paint. It was on a Sunday and I wanted it finished, so I got out the yellow I had already bought for one of the porsches. It took a while getting used to. lol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

Very nice paint job. Looked like my son's 87 G60 golf (custom motor swap) for a minute but his is a 4 dr. He did the Rustoleum roller paint job (see youtube for examples) but just about the same color. Actually turned out good for a roller job (from 5 feet anyway) but was a ton of labor. If I had somewhere to do it I'd repaint my 82 with my sprayer.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
79 300sd
Diesel Freak

Post by 79 300sd »

Thanks. We sprayed two coats of urethane and two coats of urethane clear.
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

That's the only way to go. My son's is (was) also silver. Yours looks better. :D
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

I believe plain white is the most popular colour in the U.S. right now. It's way cheaper to fix. Hides the dirt and way cooler in the sun like the light silver. I always wonder how many people have died in a black car with black interior when the AC gives out in a bad spot (Death Valley etc). Maybe a white car would have helped maybe not.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
79 300sd
Diesel Freak

Post by 79 300sd »

Color is for sure important. The black mercedes takes a while to get cooled off after sitting in the sun, even with the dark windows. The yellow isn't too bad. What would help is if vw had halfway insulated the car. I'll have to get some dyna mat if I keep using this as a daily.