1.6 TD vanagon

This is a place for us to share progress on and upgrades to our vw diesels.

Moderator: Fatmobile

CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Re: 1.6 TD vanagon

Post by CoolAirVw »

Coleslaw wrote:Image
Looks like your Precombustion chamber moved "down" some and the piston contacted it.
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

Coleslaw wrote:How about the cracks on the prechamber discs. Is this a big deal? Do these need to be replaced or can they be welded like the cracks between the valves?

This pic kinda looks like the pre-combustion chamber is "down" (out of the head) some, but it may just be the pic.

I disagree with coke. Minor cracks in PC chambers are ok. I had to reuse some in my build. Of course it would be better to replace them but they are difficult to come by. Note that turbo is different than non-turbo.

There is one guy on here trying to make a group buy for some italian made PC chambers.

There were some posts here about staking the PC chambers in place. This would be advisable as you go back together.

Here's my thread on PC chambers and staking.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7799
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Yeah, I don't concider small prechamber cracks to be a problem.
They crack at the thin area but can only spread into some very thick material.

It does worry me to see cracks in the head, heading away from the prechamber.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
Coleslaw
Cetane Booster

Post by Coleslaw »

Thanks for the info, the thread you linked me to is interesting. I'm definitely learning a lot as I go. I will start work on the head soon, after I have my block together and my shop cleared out. I will most certainly need some help with the head. Heres a question that has been on my mind, How do you tell a hyd. head from a mech. head?

How do I determine if my connecting rod bushings need to be replaced, machine shop? Where can I buy the proper bushing/bearing?

I had the machine shop take a look at the block, they measured the cylinders and determined that I should go oversize so I did. They cleaned it up as well, looks like new.

I can't seem to find these little freeze plugs on any of the parts web sites, are they available?

Here's a shot of my shop with, what seems like, a lot going on at the moment. I'm measuring my crankshaft to see what kind of work that will need.

How do I determine if my connecting rod bushings need to be replaced, machine shop? Where can I buy the proper bushing/bearing?

Most importantly I am having a blast learning about this whole process, it's nice to have something to be excited about in the dead of winter up here in NH :D
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Jack, our sponsor sells them.
The logo and link at the top of the page both go to his store.

They should slide through the rods tightly,. but have no jiggle.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
Coleslaw
Cetane Booster

Post by Coleslaw »

Update and quick question about repairing that head...

I have the lower end all together

intermediate shaft bearings installed

pistions, rings, rod bearings, crank bearings...

I am about to tackle the head, what is the process to get the cracks between the valves welded, do I need to get the valve seats removed before welding?

Should I have the machine shop press the prechambers back into the head before planing flat, or should they just plane it as is?

I'll post more pictures soon
Coleslaw
Cetane Booster

Post by Coleslaw »

I'd like to bring this thread back to life. After a move this fall we are finally settled into our new place and I can get back after my project.

Since my little blue golf had died, she has poor compression all throughout. I've decided to use this engine to bring her back to life. But I have run into some problems.

Can I use the mechanical camshaft on the hydraulic head?

Any idea if the turbo configuration from the quantum would fit in the golf? I think it would be easier to make a custom exhaust than find the proper manifolds.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

I think that's a no on the mechanical cam
and a no I can't imagine the quantum TD exhaust manifold fitting on a Golf.
You might be abale to find a MK2 TD exhaust manifold from someone who want to trade for yours; to use in a Samari or van.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
Coleslaw
Cetane Booster

Post by Coleslaw »

Ok good to know, I've got a line out for another complete 1.6 TD that came out of a golf or jetta I figure this would be a cheaper alternative than trying to buy a camshaft. That way i would have all the manifolds that I need as well as another IP and head. Updates to come...
Coleslaw
Cetane Booster

Post by Coleslaw »

I have been disassembling my rusty old T3, which involved lots of heat and soaking but I've finally got it. The interior of the turbo was loaded with sludge filth from sitting and will be getting a cleaning and a rebuild.

I would also like to clean the waste-gate but I have no idea how to remove it, I was reading in Mercedes forums that there is a spring clip to remove but I cant seem to find it. I have tried rotating the allen on the bottom of the waste gate valve... nothing. Here is what I'm working with. I would appreciate some advise, thanks in advance.

Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Some old posts on the GTD forum.
Search using fspGTD as author.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.