Another "should I buy?" posts... long block w/2000

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

the vegenator
Turbo Charger

Another "should I buy?" posts... long block w/2000

Post by the vegenator »

I need some advice from some sensible people here... If I look to friends or family they just call me crazy and tell me to buy a new car! The NERVE!

I found a VW 1.6L NA diesel long block for sale south of my town - listed for $650. Owner pulled it from his Rabbit before he sent the body to be scrapped, then - interestingly enough - mounted it on a leaf spring and placed on the back of his big rig to heat his cabin and engine overnight (VW engine coolant was plumbed into his big rig's coolant). Engine has been sitting in his attic for 15 years.

When it was still being used on his Rabbit, he replaced the rings, bearings and rods. He drove it for 2000 miles (at a professed 50 mpg) before the IP stopped pumping, which is when he started using it on his semi truck (IP would work at idle).

I got the impression that he knows his stuff - has done all his own big rig diesel rebuilds, so to him, the VW diesel was a breeze. Was eager to talk through all my car issues and offered patient and thorough technical advice.

Of course, I'm interested in buying it, but I'm worried that my obsession has made me delusional.

Is 15 years too long of a time to sit? (he did mention turning it over by hand occasionally.) He said he looked in at the cam shaft and everything looks, in his words, "virgin." What other issues would I face from a 1.6 that has sat for that long? Is $650 an unreasonable asking price? I'm willing to offer $500.
- Mike Harpring

'85 VW Jetta NA Diesel/WVO
coke

Post by coke »

At the least, I'd pull it apart and check the bores, rings, pistons, valves, etc.

15 years is quite a length of time to sit. You can count on needing new seals and it probably isn't good for the head gasket if its been sitting that long, but if you plan on pulling apart for an inspection, you'll replace that anways.

Be a good idea to pull the pan and check for junk in the oil pickup screen, too.
the vegenator
Turbo Charger

Post by the vegenator »

Okay, good to know. I would feel weird plopping this engine right into my car without much internal inspection. Since it apparently already comes on it's own stand, I should be able to access everything with ease.
- Mike Harpring

Ira B
Turbo Charger

Post by Ira B »

And don't just crank it to try and get it started if it has been sitting that long.
Pull the injectors and squirt a couple of tablespoons of ATF into each cylinder, let it sit overnight and turn the engine over a few times by hand using a wrench on the front pulley. If everything is nice and smooth THEN try to start it up.
Diesel Newbedo
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

In my opinion, it's a $250 motor. It's been "rebuilt", but sat long enough to possibly undo a lot of what "rebuilt" implies. The Injector pump isn't working well enough to run above idle, so you're not getting a fully running engine either.

For $650, you can probably find a cheaper beat up VW diesel for that kind of money, and have parts left over when you're done with it.

I'd sure love to know how many hours a 1.6 VW diesel can idle until it uses one gallon of fuel....................
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
coke

Post by coke »

The 5.7L GM Diesel can idle 8 hours on one gallon.
the vegenator
Turbo Charger

Post by the vegenator »

82vdub- Are you suggesting the bearings, rings, and other block work might need to be redone after sitting for that long? I understand needing to put in new seals and head gasket, but I assumed the other components would be okay. Ya never know until you open it up...

Either way, I'm starting to agree with your opinion that it's just a $250. After all, I did buy a diesel jetta for $840. Drove it for five years before scrapping it ... NOT pulling the motor and pump was one of the stupidest things I've done in the realm of auto mechanics... darnit!
- Mike Harpring

82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

The bearings are likely ok, because they're covered with oil and not much to zero air can get at the journals. The cylinder bores are what's exposed, and if you do take it apart, I'd suggest putting new rings in it while it's apart, and not to use used rings. If you take it apart, that's where you're going to start spending money. What if you take it apart and find a huge ridge at the top of the cylinder? That could mean a rebuild in short order, or high oil consumption, or ?? What I'm saying is that if you take it apart, it's going to cost you more money to put it back together, even if you just do seals etc. Is it worth it for $900 by the time you put more money into it? Buy one that you can hear run, for less than what he's asking for it. That's what I'd do if you have the time.

I have too many to count
the vegenator
Turbo Charger

To rebuild or not to rebuild...

Post by the vegenator »

You're right - any engine I buy that I can't hear run should be considered a rebuild project.

This guy's asking $650, and even though I could talk him down a bit, there's no telling what kind of shape everything else is in. A VW shop/parts place in Louisville can sell me an engine for $300 out of one of their junkers. Also a rebuild project.

Then there's the engine in MY car. It's my daily drive, but compression is sh*t and I'm ready to pull it and start fresh. Should I just work with what I have? I ask because it's already been bored 20 over, the timing belt covers are missing (inner and outer), and it has a wobbly crank sprocket (all of which I can solve/replace between jack and this forum).

If the cylinders need to be rebored to 40 over, are the 40 over piston/ring combo sets worth using? The machine shop seemed worried about boring that much over.

I forgot to mention - it's been a dream of mine to tear down and rebuild an engine. I think I'm up for the challenge.
- Mike Harpring

Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

No problem boring 40 over.
Not sure whatthey were worried about,...
walls are plenty thick.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
the vegenator
Turbo Charger

Post by the vegenator »

Thanks... very good to know. I hope it doesn't come to boring out the cylinders even more, but at least I know what my options are.

Perhaps the folks in the machine shop are just used to owners wanting to mod out and beef up their engines with oversized cylinders, which *could* explain why they would be hesitant... hell, this is Indiana! If it's not screechin down a residential street at 60+ without a muffler attached then it doesn't belong!

Regardless, I have a feeling I'm going to have to establish a real close working relationship with the the motor service folks if they're gonna touch my engine.
- Mike Harpring

82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Years ago I purchased a VW diesel engine from a local salvage yard. I asked them if I could hear it run. They said that they would have someone try to get it running. I did hear it run, and it coughed and sputtered at anything above idle, so I suspected the IP. I bought it and replaced the IP, and it ran very well. It did go through oil though, but I never took it apart until I pulled it back out again. You may be able to find a running engine, so at least you know what you're looking for.

Problem with going through your own engine is the downtime that you'll have. But, with a used engine, you will possibly have a little more money into the project. Probably depends on your style and abilities and if you want a spare motor sitting around when you're done.

I have too many to count
the vegenator
Turbo Charger

Post by the vegenator »

I'd love a second engine to fix up while I keep mine running, but $300 is prohibitively expensive. Pull-A-Part (national salvage yard chain) seems to have pretty good prices on engines - $100 over here - though I'd be hard pressed to find a diesel.

Unless something running falls in my lap in the next two weeks, I might just have to pull mine and stick to my trusty Schwinn LeTour until the project is complete.
- Mike Harpring