Oil pressure light flashing/ buzzing, senders new; pressure?

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Michael
Cetane Booster

Oil pressure light flashing/ buzzing, senders new; pressure?

Post by Michael »

I've seen posts about this, in the past, but now that I'm having this problem, I can't seem to find them.
The pressure looks good; I'd like to keep the idiot light & buzzer; anyone find particular wiring problems related to this issue?
'85 Golf; '82 1.6L n.a.
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Re: Oil pressure light flashing/ buzzing, senders new; press

Post by Vincent Waldon »

Michael wrote:I've seen posts about this, in the past, but now that I'm having this problem, I can't seem to find them.
The pressure looks good; I'd like to keep the idiot light & buzzer; anyone find particular wiring problems related to this issue?
'85 Golf; '82 1.6L n.a.
It may be wiring, or it may be that you actually have low oil pressure... depends how many psi there are in a "looks good". ;-)

Troubleshooting info here:

http://vincewaldon.com/index.php?option ... &Itemid=28
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Verify what your exact oil pressure is with an actual oil pressure gauge that has numbers on it. I've had the very ends of the wire as they are crimped onto the wire terminal get weak, and give false signals. I've also had the connections get corroded and give false signals.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
tylernt
Turbo Charger

Post by tylernt »

Also the buzzer on the back of the speedo can malfunction and give false alarms.
'82 Diesel Rabbit • '88 Fox (RIP) • '88 Jetta (work in progress)
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Always happening or just over 2000 RPM?
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
Michael
Cetane Booster

Post by Michael »

Hi Fatty, thanx for the reply. I've checked the conduction of the wires from the sensors to the panel with an Ohm-meter - both connections showed low-resistance, both to the back of the instrument panel and to ground, just so I'd know if the connection and wire were good.
I'm only getting the buzzing at around 2000 rpms.
Before I rebuilt my engine, I'd put a small piece of paper between the buzzer contacts for keep it from buzzing. I'd felt comfortable with doing this, since I'd installed a cheap oil-pressure gauge (failed very soon after), with an electronic sender, which indicated spec. pressure with the buzzer sounding at the same time.
After all of the expense of rebuilding my engine and distributor pump, I'm not comfortable with trusting my old method, especially since my cheap pressure gauge no longer works.
I did check my pressure today by a very "flaky" method: seeing how it sprayed out of the sensor hole in the head while I loosened it just a bit.
I'd appreciate it if you'd recommend an appropriate oil-pressure gauge. I've heard that the hydraulic (direct connection, non-electrical sender) type are better than the electric ones.
Thanx for your help!
Michael
Cetane Booster

Post by Michael »

So now, after looking at Vince's troubleshooting guide, I saw right-away - given the circuit checks that I mentioned on my last post, that the high-pressure sender on the oil-filter was not supposed to have a closed circuit, but an open one. I checked out both of the sensors my local auto parts store had sold me, and they were of the wrong type, of the normally-closed sort that should go on the head. I get myself a correct one in the morning, and take my ohm-meter along with me. They do owe me two new ones. I'll let you know if this works or if there's still a problem.
I'll look into pressure gauges while I'm at the store tomorrow.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

I have had no problems with the stock sending units and gauge sets,..
from a GTI, cabriolet or Jetta.
and have been able to find used gauge/sender for $25 shipped.
I've had mechanical gauges leak oil behind the dash the car

At 2000 RPM the dynamic oil pressure switch on the filter is used.
The "W" terminal on the back of the alternator also comes into play (that's how it knows it's 2000 RPM).

Since it only happens at 2000 RPM, oil pressure might be a little low at 2000 but soon rise above the switches trip point at anything over that.
Got a new seal in the base of the vacuum pump? That can leak oil pressure.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
Michael
Cetane Booster

Post by Michael »

After looking at Vince's "How to", I saw that the sender on the oil filter flange was wrong, replaced it a correct one, which I tested before purchasing to make it sure it was "normally open", and so far - no buzzer and no flashing light; "hurrah"!
Thanx so much for the help. :D
Now to put in something better than that dumb old idiot light.
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

very similar to ONE of the issues with my jetta from the following link.

viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight="%20targ ... %20Warning
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>