Fuel sender pieces wandered away

This forum is for TDI (Turbo Direct Injection) questions/posts. Non-TDI Motors (Including the 1.6, and 1.9 or other variant turbo diesel motors) should go in the VW Diesel General Forum

Moderator: Fatmobile

wmasscaddy
Cetane Booster

Fuel sender pieces wandered away

Post by wmasscaddy »

Does anybody have an exploded diagram for a 99.5 TDI fuel sender? There was (I think) grease in the diesel tank, it got wicked cold, there's brown jello in the sender. I'm doing something with my other hand and when I look back there's a spring on the ground.
What I have: 2 plastic bushings and a spring. They fit together and may all go on the supply tube.
What I know I'm missing: 1 O-ring, goes at bottom of spring and bushing assembly. Maybe other stuff.

The bushings have a step at one end, and the other end has a 45 degree bevel or taper (like it was drilled out with a countersink bit). I wish I could describe it better. I don't know which end goes towards the spring, they both fit ok. Does the spring go between both bushings?
Another way to say, does the O-ring sit on the step on in the bevel?
Thanks for your help.
82 pickup 1.6 n/a
350,000 + miles lost to broken odo
11mm block, 12mm head
coke

Re: Fuel sender pieces wandered away

Post by coke »

This topic relates to a TDI, therefore it belongs in the TDI forum. I have moved it here (again). Thanks.
wmasscaddy
Cetane Booster

Post by wmasscaddy »

Sorry- I thought that I had put it here accidentally so I put it back in general.
82 pickup 1.6 n/a
11mm block, 12mm head
coke

Post by coke »

No problem. Just wanted to make sure you knew it was here for a reason, and didn't end up deleting and making the post all over again. =)
wmasscaddy
Cetane Booster

Post by wmasscaddy »

exploded diagram may not exist. Dealership didn't have one. Parts guy let me pick a free O-ring though. Put it back together according to best guess, found original O-ring, put sender back in, seems to work.
82 pickup 1.6 n/a
11mm block, 12mm head