Car wont start

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

cheese
Glow Plug

Car wont start

Post by cheese »

I have a 98 VW bettle with 220,000 miles. The car stooped working after I had it for a month. The injector pump wasnt letting fuel to the engine or coming out at the base ports off the pump. I took the injector pump off, took it apart, found some parts that seemed stuck (the think at the bottom of the pump that moves perpendicular to the body of the pump). Put the pump back together, and mounted on my car. The pump was then spitting out fuel when connected to the timing belt, so I lined everything up in TDC for #1 cylinder and hooked everything back up.

Well still no ignition. I primed the pump, but still I feel I don't have the pressure needed for the fuel to get into the engine...I try bleeding the lines out. At first air bubbles, after a few more hits, straight fuel.

I tryed spraying some starter fluid in the air intake, but that didn't help.

Any ideas....I dont know much car lingo, so please go slow with me.
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Re: Car wont start

Post by bscutt »

If you believe the timing is close I would at least check all 4 glow plugs to make sure they are good. In my opinion the best way to do this is remove all 4 and apply 12v across them and see if they glow within a few seconds. I use a jumper cable clamped to the negative battery terminal and the other end f it to the glow plug body and touch the glow plug center terminal to the battery positive terminal. If they are all good a compression check would be in order too. I'm not sure about the 98 TDI but the later ones require some diagnostic tools to time correctly. You may want to post this question in the TDI section, you will probably get some better answers.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
cheese
Glow Plug

Re: Car wont start

Post by cheese »

Glow plugs checked out ok. I'll try posting in the TDI section and see if I get any info. Thanks