Car wont start

This forum is for TDI (Turbo Direct Injection) questions/posts. Non-TDI Motors (Including the 1.6, and 1.9 or other variant turbo diesel motors) should go in the VW Diesel General Forum

Moderator: Fatmobile

cheese
Glow Plug

Car wont start

Post by cheese »

...originally posted in general forum...someone suggest I post the issue here instead...

I have a 98 VW bettle with 220,000 miles. The car stooped working after I had it for a month. The injector pump wasnt letting fuel to the engine or coming out at the base ports off the pump. I took the injector pump off, took it apart, found some parts that seemed stuck (the think at the bottom of the pump that moves perpendicular to the body of the pump). Put the pump back together, and mounted on my car. The pump was then spitting out fuel when connected to the timing belt, so I lined everything up in TDC for #1 cylinder and hooked everything back up.

Well still no ignition. I primed the pump, but still I feel I don't have the pressure needed for the fuel to get into the engine...I try bleeding the lines out. At first air bubbles, after a few more hits, straight fuel.

I tryed spraying some starter fluid in the air intake, but that didn't help.

I check the glow plugs by taking each one out...they were all working

Any ideas....I dont know much car lingo, so please go slow with me.
rsxsr

Re: Car wont start

Post by rsxsr »

Cheese, you need to verify the anti shudder valve at the intake is open when you are trying to start the engine. I have seen cases where these are stuck shut and keep the engine from starting. You were brave to take the pump apart. Also there are some really smart TDI folk over at the TDI Club. mark