Newbie to the Van!

Moderator: Fatmobile

Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Re: Newbie to the Van!

Post by Fatmobile »

Yeah, I can't even do it in one turn on the Rabbit,.. with plenty of room.

Hagar mentioned a way to check if the breaking pressures are close:

When you are tightening the halves together,
you can feel when you hit the spring.

Mark that spot, then continue to turn the halves together until they bottom.
It should be the same amount of rotation for each injector,.. about 320 degrees.
I haven't played with it enough to know how many pounds = how many degrees.

If breaking pressure is off on a couple injectors you won't have the shims to adjust it so it's best to have the bosch guy do it,.. but it is a good way to check them,.. I got one of those cone things flipped in one and saw it didn't match the others.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
WAgrower
Diesel Freak

Post by WAgrower »

So injectors checked out and installed, fuel lines bled and she's all buttoned up. Ran it till the temp gauge was above the LED, and did the final torquing on the head bolts.

Now the problem seems to be with the timing possibly. I replaced the timing belt by painting marks on the belt and the sprockets, transferred the marks to the new one and installed. Pretty easy and lined up perfectly; cranked it over a full rotation to make sure all was well. It all checked out so I started her up; this is where the problem surfaced.

Before I did the belt (or moved the IP) she would start with the cold start half out. This time I had to have the coldstart completely out and it was running rough. Blueish smoke rough idle and if I tried to put the cold start in it all got worse. Figured it was the timing and after I did the head bolts I noticed the pump could have been off the mark I made for it slightly. I loosened the bolts and rotated the pump towards the engine (less then a degree)
Started it up again with the cold start out and she ran better- held a smooth idle not as much knocking and the cold start could be pushed in half way.

Am I on the right track? I just need to advance my timing some more? Looks like I'll be finding a timing kit and reading the hillbilly timing thread...

Also somehow my crank case cover gasket broke and I'm missing the part towards the breather and I'm spitting oil!!
ggrrrrr always something! I think I can come up with a temp fix while the new one comes.

Thanks guys
82 Westy with an 85 1.6TD
coke

Post by coke »

I personally always set the timing belt up new when I do the head gasket. Line engine up at TDC, head, and pump, and slap a new belt and tensioner on and tension it up. Looks like your on the right track with advancing the timing though, as it seems to run better. Generally, when it runs better, keep doing what your doing. How loud and clackity is the engine?
WAgrower
Diesel Freak

Post by WAgrower »

Not terribly loud, just sounds off; kind of like a galloping horse...

Do you think I need to check the flywheel and cam settings? I was thinking since the belts matched- all marks lined up perfectly, it would still be aligned.

Also do you think I could just use a folded shop towl (paper) as a makeshift gasket for the cam cover?
coke

Post by coke »

You can just use the old cork gasket and replace it either with the upgraded rubber one or another cork one. They're cheap, I only pay 3.95 for the ones I get. (cork)
WAgrower
Diesel Freak

Post by WAgrower »

Cork one didn't survive the trash bag in large enough pieces to be used. Teaches me for keeping clean WHILE I work...
coke

Post by coke »

Haha. Well that is a very common valve cover gasket, you should be able to find it at most of the auto parts stores. It was used on a TON of the 8v diesel and gas motors.
WAgrower
Diesel Freak

Post by WAgrower »

Well no luck with the gasket but an old piece of vac hose ripped down seems to be working now.

As for the timing; I've advanced it past my mark and I think I'm running out of room to rotate it...
Engine still sounds like it's got marbles and will only run with cold start out half way. sounds like it's galloping if I push it in and would probably die.

hmmm.... how much rotation does it take? like a little 1/10th of a degree or a full degree to make a difference in the timing (say the amount the cold start advances)?

I should also say I'm still getting some smoke that stays pretty even from start to warm.
WAgrower
Diesel Freak

Post by WAgrower »

Well drove it around the block and down to the gas station to put some air in the tires!
She over heated on the way back; LED blinking and temp gauge at top. When I got home I saw the expantion tank empty so I filled it and seemed to be better but I couldn't run it long enough to check.

The engine seemed to be good and getting better on the way there, but after I got home and started it, it was much worse!

The klunking marbles sound is still there, and there is also a soft metal on metal noise. Not a loud squealing but a softer metal rubbing on metal- could be a pulley on something..?
The smoke is white and now constant. pretty bad, didn't clear up after warm up.
The cold start has to be out, sounds got worse and rougher when it was pushed in.

Aggghh it's so close yet so far away! I'm thinking I should check the line up the flywheel, cam and IP, I don't have the gauge so I'm not sure what I should do if I find them off..
coke

Post by coke »

The gauge is only for setting lift at TDC on the injection pump. You don't need it to set the crank, cam, and IP to TDC. You only need it to set static timing. but if your crank/cam is off, or even your IP, that is most likely your problem.
WAgrower
Diesel Freak

Post by WAgrower »

If I find the cam and crank are off and move the belt won't I need to re time the pump?
coke

Post by coke »

Yes, but only the sprocket. You don't need to alter the actual time until you are sure the engine, cam, and IP sprocket are where they're supposed to be.
WAgrower
Diesel Freak

Post by WAgrower »

Ok so I'll check flywheel, cam, and IP for alignment. Theoredically the mark I made before the belt was replaced should be the correct angle to mount the pump. So I start there and then try to tune by ear?? Or track down a gauge.

Thanks!!
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Yeah, make sure the cam timing is right.

The pump timing should be close but you can adjust it while the engine is running to get a feel for it.

I can't remember if you have clear fuel lines.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
WAgrower
Diesel Freak

Post by WAgrower »

I do have clear line on the return; highest point, etc... Looks good there are some tinny bubbles but nothing scary.

Think it could just be air?