tdi or idi what do you people like better???

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

91mk2
Cetane Booster

tdi or idi what do you people like better???

Post by 91mk2 »

which gets better mpgs??? i just picked up a passat tdi and compared to the 91 non turbo jetta totally better. only thing i don't like is the computer stuff. Is the idi better for a veggie burner?

I saw on a website that the tdi can be converted to a mechanical pump. Would that be a bad idea???

if you had a choice between a mk2 diesel and mk3 tdi with same miles ,which would u choose???

Seems to be a lot of interest in these mk2's .why is that? body style or something??
1991 1.6 jetta
Wheeling WV area
coke

Re: tdi or idi what do you people like better???

Post by coke »

TDI gets better economy because it has something thinking for it. It has a much more complex advance and throttle mechanism. All electronic, and it responds differently to various situations.

You can convert it to mechanical if you want to try and rig up a new gas pedal in your car, but I would leave it as is. My dad got 64 mpg in his 98 Jetta TDI going to Florida.
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

I've really beat this one to death. The TDI question. I've looked at the A3's. They seem to have above average electrical problems according the TDI forum. Maybe because they have so much more than the A2's but don't really know for sure. The sweet part is the cold weather starting, power and mileage. The low compression ratio and computer controlled direct injection makes this all happen. Another downside is that if your like me the complex electronics's will lead you the stealer ship more often. I thought about the M-TDI as well. Maybe through one into a A2. You have to take the front half of a turbo IDI pump and the back half of a TDI pump to make it all work. There's a guy in Toronto that has a real handle on this. Then I look at my two turbo diesels and turbo engine in the backyard and the two heads with turbo's on them and think. How long will it take to get this many spares for a TDI. :lol:
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
coke

Post by coke »

My dad's 98 had one wiring harness problem. Vag-Com told us exactly what it was. IAT shorted to B+ ground or something like that. I told him to stop replacing the sensor and trace the wire. It had rubbed through on the frame. He repaired it, and hasn't had a single iota of a wiring issue with his car. When he got it, it had 112k miles. It has 230k now. No major problems whatsoever, other than the few deer he has hit.
joat
Turbo Charger

Post by joat »

90 % of MK3 electrical problems revolve around the smaller pins used in the connectors (less contact surface) and the main GROUND connector ring behind the dash (once you see it, you'll understand why )

lots of electrical gremlins in mark3 bodies ( and lots of rust prone areas )...

MK2 had a better track record with the body and electrical. ( usually outlasting the later MK3 stuff )

both diesels are long lived if taken care of .... but early MK3 need to be upgrade to the D style front crank style.
1992 Jetta (gasser to TD 1.6)
2000 TDI Jetta
1990 Jetta (Gasser RIP @ 875,000Km)
1976 Rabbit (RIP)
1972 Superbeetle (RIP)
1971 Fastback (type 3 RIP)

A pessimist is a well informed optimist
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Post by hagar »

joat all really QUIET diesels are IDI I tried both , I swear by IDI, my Rabbits get 76 MPG Imp how much better is a TDI ? ,then remember cost.
All fancy designs I know about uses a "whirl-chamber" (WV.)

hagar.

PS : yes I have DI's here (They sure start good)
91mk2
Cetane Booster

Post by 91mk2 »

i haven't drive my 91 mk2 except from NY to Ohio with leaky ip pump and it was fun. i'm working on it now as u all no.

I just picked up a passat tdi 1997 with 315k miles and it runs like a top. starts up better than a gasser and has loads of power. Maybe the passat harness is better because the car was made in Germany and it's higher end then a mexican mk3??????

ON the other hand people tell me a b4 passat is the same platform as a mk3 tdi jetta. IS there any truth to that?? does everything swap over???

thanks
1991 1.6 jetta
Wheeling WV area
MPalm
Turbo Charger

Post by MPalm »

Our TDI has 280 000km on the clock and runs like new, only had to replace a temp sensor and the glow plugs other than regular maintenance items. Fuel economy is great and there's lots of power compared to an old 1.6D.

For a daily driver I like the TDI much better but a Caddy pickup 1.6D is nice in other ways, more like a good old friend :mrgreen:

I believe the electrical problems are either door locks, power windows (resolder to fix) or if something on the engine probably caused by wear/chafing on the harness, where it goes from the body over to the engine/transmission.
Golf IV TDI -98 330000km
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Post by hagar »

91mk2 please guys. If you compare Direct and Indirect , Both MUST be Turbos.. , you will see that t narrows the gap.

I get 76 MPG Imp. , and smooth and quiet. I agree with coke a computer controlled diesel is best by far. . Then lets compare the cost. Then there is the other thing, Switching from ECO and Turbo , back and forth EH ? here it is simple as Apple-Pie . how do we do that on a TDI ? please tell me.

hagar.
91mk2
Cetane Booster

Post by 91mk2 »

i was just wondering what is better on fuel, and maintainence i guess. I didn't ask which is better i asked what do people who own both enjoy more.

i don't have a turbo on mine 91 i'm hoping it gets the same mpg's as the tdi at least.
1991 1.6 jetta
Wheeling WV area
joat
Turbo Charger

Post by joat »

the MK2 are infinitely easier to work on than the electronic ones... especially the TIMING belt setup...... mk2 runs about $50 for parts , the "kit" for the rest runs around $400 ( more things to change ... make sure you also change the water pump each time)
2000 TDI Jetta
1976 Rabbit (RIP)
1972 Superbeetle (RIP)

coke

Post by coke »

My father's 98 timing belt kit costs like, 67 bucks if you don't replace the roller, and if you do its only another 30. The "400" dollar timing belt kit is for the later A4 TDIs.
joat
Turbo Charger

Post by joat »

guilty as charged :)
2000 TDI Jetta
1976 Rabbit (RIP)
1972 Superbeetle (RIP)

Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

I thought all TDIs were around $400 to change the timing belt.

Good to hear the earlier ones are cheaper.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
coke

Post by coke »

Yes the earlier ones use a different belt and don't run the water pump off the timing belt. The early ones, 98 to 99.5, 99.5 they switched I believe. Its essentially the same setup we use on our 1.6 except the tensioner tensions differently and it has a small roller between the Cam and IP to keep the belt from flapping around.