aaz swap in vanagon coolant hose question

Moderator: Fatmobile

moby
Cetane Booster

aaz swap in vanagon coolant hose question

Post by moby »

Hi I'm swapping a 96 aaz into my diesel vanagon. will the 82 diesel 1.6 coolant hoses work on the aaz. thanks, paolo
moby
Cetane Booster

Re: aaz swap in vanagon coolant hose question

Post by moby »

Can any one add their 2 cents.? Thanks, Paolo
WAgrower
Diesel Freak

Post by WAgrower »

I'm no pro but I have been working on 1.6 TD in an 82 vanagon. The hose kit from the aaz probably won't work for the swap. With the engine mounted at an angle it takes a couple of custom hoses- the one that leads to the expansion tank for sure will need to be a new hose. I think if you call a van place they can help you track down the hoses. I have one from a benz that leads to the expansion tank.

Not sure how different the aaz is from the TD but I can send you pics and part numbers if you want.
82 Westy with an 85 1.6TD
moby
Cetane Booster

Post by moby »

Hey, thanks for your response. Looks like I'll try to work it out as i proceed farther into the rebuild . Paolo
Quantum TD
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum TD »

GEE-BEE makes silicone hoses for the AAZ into a T3 (Vanagon). They're on ebay. Not cheap, but probably lifetime and better and cheaper than buying OEM hoses new (if you can fine them).
jolotter
Diesel Freak

Post by jolotter »

I think your 82 diesel hoses will work. When I put a 1.6 TD in my gasser van, I got some hoses from a German TD and made up a few from pieces I found at a local parts store. The AAZ in my shed looks like a direct swap for the MF. I have even cannibalised it for coolant ports to replace the ones that failed on the 1.6.
83.5 Westy 1.6 TD
93 1.9TD engine in the shed