1.9 AAZ ticking Noise

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

volksvagan
Glow Plug

1.9 AAZ ticking Noise

Post by volksvagan »

I just replaced a piston in my aaz jetta and put a new head on as well, I re used the lifters and camshaft from the old head to the new head. I notice that I have this ticking/tapping noise coming from the engine while it is running. It dosen't start making the noise right away when the car is cold but after about 20 seconds of the car running you can hear a ticking noise which dosen't sound right. Is it possible that there could be a lifter or two that are no good?
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Re: 1.9 AAZ ticking Noise

Post by Vincent Waldon »

When you measured piston protrusion to select the headgasket what readings did you get... and specifically was the reading for the piston you replaced dramatically different than the other three?
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Why did you have to replace a piston, and did you have to replace the head, or did you do the head because it was off? Does the ticking noise seem like it's a tinney "tick" sound, or more of a deep knock sound?
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
volksvagan
Glow Plug

Post by volksvagan »

I did not measure the piston protrusion after I put the new piston in. I made sure I got the same brand as the other pistons as the other pistons are newish (about 1.5 years old) The gasket is a 1 hole gasket, same as the gasket that was used originally. When i watched the piston come up as i manually cranked the engine over after I installed it I didn't notice any difference in height from the other piston. The ticking sound isn't there when I first start the car up, it takes about 20-30 secs for the ticking to start.

it isn;t a really deep knocking sound but you can hear it while driving around (except when driving at higher speeds as all the other noises drown it out)

I was thinking that maybe it was a lifter as the ticking dosen't happen right away, if it was a valve kissing the piston wouldn't it start ticking right at start up??
coke

Post by coke »

Did you use new lifters with the new head? Or did you use the used one? The previous damage could've screwed up a lifter.
volksvagan
Glow Plug

Post by volksvagan »

i reused the old lifters.

Does anyone on this forum sell new lifters? What is the part number for the lifters? I would want to replace all 8
volksvagan
Glow Plug

Post by volksvagan »

i bought a set of 8 lifters which i will put in next week.

Is it possible that it could be the lifters? The car is quiet when it first starts up and then after it is running for a little bit the ticking starts.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

That sounds right.
Oil gets warm/thin, they start to make noise.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Post by Vincent Waldon »

Another possibility is that you have a clearance issue that's just on the edge when the engine is cold, but shows up once things have expanded a bit with heat.

Always hard to diagnose noises over the internet...perhaps you can use an engine stethoscope or the "big screwdriver in the ear" trick to narrow down where the noise is coming from?
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

Time for a Utube demo. I love the smell of diesel in the morning.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
volksvagan
Glow Plug

Post by volksvagan »

Thanks again for everyones help and input.

Once the lifters come in I will have to remove the cam shaft and install the lifters. I will post what the results are here after they are installed. If there is still a ticking noise I will post a clip of it on here. I read in the bently book that the camsaft sprocket is supposed to be tightened to 33ft pounds but I hear alot of people going to 45 ft pounds to prevent the sprocket from slipping. Is this ok to do or will the extra torque down break something?

Also, the lifters I got are the INA brand. Do I have to pre-load these with oil before installing them? If so, what is the best way to do this?? What happens if you don't pre-load the lifters?
volksvagan
Glow Plug

Post by volksvagan »

I also have this bad feeling that it could be what Vince is talking about with the pistons just tapping the valves. If this is the case, since I have a 1 hole head gasket, if I went to a 3 hole gasket right away, bypassing the 2 hole gasket, what effects would that have if I only really needed the 2 but went with a 3 hole?
joat
Turbo Charger

Post by joat »

nothing much ... just a bit harder starting in COLD weather ( may have to use a second GP cycle ) if a shop is in doubt at all , they use the 3 hole gasket and err on the safe side every time.
1992 Jetta (gasser to TD 1.6)
2000 TDI Jetta
1990 Jetta (Gasser RIP @ 875,000Km)
1976 Rabbit (RIP)
1972 Superbeetle (RIP)
1971 Fastback (type 3 RIP)

A pessimist is a well informed optimist
volksvagan
Glow Plug

Post by volksvagan »

So just to update. I put in the new lifters and still have the ticking\tapping noise. I brought out the stethescope to see if I could find where the noise is coming from. The only place where it sounded louder was at the top of the #4 injector as the other injectors sounded quiter. The engine everywhere else didn't have any tapping sound. I can rotate the engine by hand without it jamming anywhere, just wondering if this is still a piston\valve clearance issue or not. I dont want to have to take the head off again if I dont need to.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Move the injector and see if the noise follows the injector?
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count