pump rebuild now no start

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

reddogracing
Glow Plug

pump rebuild now no start

Post by reddogracing »

here is my sad story

My 81 rabbit ran great, but was leaking from cold start.

I did not have time to do all work myself, so i had other mech remove pump for me. He did not follow my instructions to use clamps to hold timing in place.

Well i rebuilt pump, My 1st, no problems seemed easy enough. I give it back, and they install it with new belt.

Tell me that pump wont pump. I go check it out. i pull bolt off top, and fill pump with trans fluid. pull filter and its full.

loosen every injector line, and crank and crank, i get a trickle from middle two injectors. check everything, pump still full,

so i spray some diesel into intake, nothing . i keep increasing sprays and cranking until i find saturation point where i get hydro lock, get it cleared, and try several times, but never hits once.

still only trickle on middles injectors.

so they say it is in time, that it has to be pump,, i suspect timing what do i do now??

i am in south central ky near clarksville and nashville tn if anyone knows an experienced mech. i need help.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Re: pump rebuild now no start

Post by 82vdub »

you may have reversed the internals and internally, the IP is 180 degrees out. So, instead of aligning the notch on the back of the IP gear to the notch in the IP bracket, rotate the IP pully 180 degrees, set timing, rotate at least two revolutions by hand and try to start it. I am surprised that you rebuilt the pump, but didn't remove the IP from the car.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Post by Vincent Waldon »

The other usual "oops" on the first rebuild is to not get the throttle assembly lever down into the control collar that rides on the plunger... you can check it by pulling the lid.

It also sounds like you're guessing about the timing... might make sense to track down someone with the right tools to do the timing from scratch and at least eliminate it as a possibility.

In my experience if you do get the plunger 180 degrees out you'll still get fuel to all four injectors... just in the wrong order...she will smoke and cough like a son-of-a-gun.
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

I think the injectors fires on the top of the exhaust stroke when the pump is out 180. A lot of the fuel probably flies out the exhaust valve but there's probably some fuel left in the cylinder to fire on the power stroke. That's why it sounds like its sneezing.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/