How do you adjust the fuel pump pressure?

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

strokermaverick
Glow Plug

How do you adjust the fuel pump pressure?

Post by strokermaverick »

Is there an exturnal adjustment on the fuel pump of an '86 Golf to turn the fuel pump down? Thanks for any responses and info.
Ephesians 2:8,9
1986 Golf diesel
MizPahPAH
Diesel Freak

Re: How do you adjust the fuel pump pressure?

Post by MizPahPAH »

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5936

Remove the pressure regulator pull the retainer clip, movable plunger and spring, then tap the top tight plunger up a little.

Question is why is your pressure too high, did you try to adjust the pressure?

If not and your pressure is to high you might want to check the "OUT" bolt there is a screen and a small hole one or both may be clogged and could cause high pressure.
Pete
strokermaverick
Glow Plug

MizPahPAH wrote:viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5936

Remove the pressure regulator pull the retainer clip, movable plunger and spring, then tap the top tight plunger up a little.

If not and your pressure is to high you might want to check the "OUT" bolt there is a screen and a small hole one or both may be clogged and could cause high pressure.
My pressure is not high. I was just wandering, how to cut the fuel back. I thought that maybe if the fuel was cut back a little, the mpg could be improved. Also, in the near future, I am planning on installing a HHO kit, so it would be benificial to me, to know how to cut the fuel back a little.
1986 Golf diesel
MizPahPAH
Diesel Freak

Post by MizPahPAH »

The pump pressure is critical to performance and mpg because of it affect on dynamic timing,

I have read through the Internal pump pressure post many times in my efforts to adjust my jetta for best mpg.

If I try to bring my pressure up to 3bar at Idle I get major marbles mid range rpm.

I can only think I am either missing something or my vane pump is worn and will not build proper pressure at Idle as well as it does at higher rpm.

adjusting the full load screw out will decrease the amount of fuel the control collar allows in to the high pressure head. but this will not equate to lower fuel consumption,

Its a balancing act,

The highest I have gotten is 47mpg in the summer and steady 43 all this past winter
Pete
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

He might not be asking about internal pump pressure.
Sounds like he thinks the pump pressure determines the amount of fuel injected.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

strokermaverick wrote:
MizPahPAH wrote:viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5936

My pressure is not high. I was just wandering, how to cut the fuel back. I thought that maybe if the fuel was cut back a little, the mpg could be improved. Also, in the near future, I am planning on installing a HHO kit, so it would be benificial to me, to know how to cut the fuel back a little.
Try turning the max fuel screw near the stop solenoid above the fuel highpressure lines anticlockwise a little... Or apply pressure 2 ft, slower...
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
strokermaverick
Glow Plug

MizPahPAH wrote:The pump pressure is critical to performance and mpg because of it affect on dynamic timing,

I have read through the Internal pump pressure post many times in my efforts to adjust my jetta for best mpg.

If I try to bring my pressure up to 3bar at Idle I get major marbles mid range rpm.

I can only think I am either missing something or my vane pump is worn and will not build proper pressure at Idle as well as it does at higher rpm.

adjusting the full load screw out will decrease the amount of fuel the control collar allows in to the high pressure head. but this will not equate to lower fuel consumption,

Its a balancing act,

The highest I have gotten is 47mpg in the summer and steady 43 all this past winter

I sure don't want to upset the timing of anything. I am probably using the wrong terminology. I guess I am asking if it is possible to use less fuel and still have everything in the correct timming sequence? I am learning about these little diesels from the ground, up. Thanks for your post, by the way.
1986 Golf diesel
strokermaverick
Glow Plug

Try turning the max fuel screw near the stop solenoid above the fuel highpressure lines anticlockwise a little... Or apply pressure 2 ft, slower...[/quote]

That sounds practicle enough. Thanks.
1986 Golf diesel
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

strokermaverick wrote:Try turning the max fuel screw near the stop solenoid above the fuel highpressure lines anticlockwise a little... Or apply pressure 2 ft, slower...
That sounds practicle enough. Thanks.[/quote]
That's OK and the nearest I'll ever get to 'txt speak' :mrgreen:
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)