92'eco debacle

This is a place for us to share progress on and upgrades to our vw diesels.

Moderator: Fatmobile

redsqwrl
Cetane Booster

Re: 92'eco debacle

Post by redsqwrl »

Well today was the lucky day.

School starts soon and my Daughter is antsy to get her car back to full speed. I dug up a CHE (or CEH Which ever) 3/67 RP and Dropped the trans out and Tried for a bout 5 mins before it dawned on me the CLUTCH is a different size. Swappe the pressure plate flywheel and what not. mosqitoes drove me out of the shop. Started at 3:30 and quit around 8PM the trans is in Gear lube is in. the shift linkage is adapted.
Tomorrow Bolt check and final assembly and I am even going to put the skid plate on.

I think I am going to find a pyrometer to monitor how much fuel burn is going on in the engine.
I am capable of a down shift and light foot, but my daughter is another story.

Any one have a link to a cost effective Single or multiple pyrometer?

Mike
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

EGT gauge same thing as a pyrometer?
If so I always buy the aircraft spruce probe, very fast reacting, and inexpensive.
I'll see if I can find some numbers,....

Sounds like you got a 16V/2.0 trany, with the larger shaft.
Had to upgrade to a 210mm clutch setup.
Good gear ratio in the CHE if I remember right, notorious for a bad reverse gear,.. tell her to take it easy on reverse.

Couldn't find the number tonight.
Lots of info about aircraft spruce EGT gauges on the GTD forum.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
redsqwrl
Cetane Booster

Post by redsqwrl »

Yes, EGT is a pyrometer.

I am going to need one. this car is a rocket ship to 60 1-2-3, 4th is a waste of time and fifth is a bit tall at 60 to accelerate the car. ( I could easily build heat with excess fuel )

My daughter picked up on it right away, The initial observation is the engine temp is reading at least a 1/2 a mark lower. that means less fuel. :) I see little visible smoke behind me as I am in the turbo a bit longer now. I have a couple long grades not steep just long, and pulling to 4th seems about right to climb the slope. I need to do the math on the 4th gear to 3.67 ratio as it relates to the old trans, I will bet it is close to the 5th gear 4.2 RP

Yes the larger clutch was a miss by me, It gave me a wonderful oppourtunity to teach my daughter some new swear words. My brain was caught up in the larger drive axles and mentally spaced the larger clutch, I had one here so the delay was brief but it sucked jus tthe same.

The Beast is alive.

Mike
79 300sd
Diesel Freak

Post by 79 300sd »

I posted the aircraft spruce probe and extension wire numbers on the last post on this page. viewtopic.php?f=20&t=10493&start=45

The aircraft spruce probe is super fast to respond. I'm using the auberins gauge and like it pretty good except for when the sun is at the wrong angle which makes it hard to read. I need to mount it where it is shielded from the sun.
redsqwrl
Cetane Booster

Post by redsqwrl »

The latest is the car struggles to build heat. I used to warm up fairly quick to a 1/4 mark of the temp gauge. now i rarely get the temps up out of the fat white line at the bottom. the car is warm as I get great heat out of the heater but the gauge or temp sender must be taking a crap. the Glow plug relay is still not self timing so maybe the swap to a higher gear ratio has little effect on the engine temp but the timing is uncany.

The car is much more fun to drive. even my 19 year old son's buddy inquired about the increased motion.

Not sold on the sqap just yet but it is hard to argue with results.

Mike