3.5yr rebuild project done, but gutless... help?

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

tylernt
Turbo Charger

3.5yr rebuild project done, but gutless... help?

Post by tylernt »

Got a Mk1 1.6L TD from a junk yard, had the cylinders bored oversize and new pistons and rings. Head seemed ok so I just did a valve adjustment (thinner shims on all 8 valves) and replaced the stem seals. Measured piston protrusion with dial indicator and installed 2 notch head gasket. Had injection pump and injectors rebuilt at a local Bosch shop. Installed timing belt and timed to 1.0mm. Broke the camshaft sprocket loose for precise timing. Had the turbo rebuilt at a shop. Engine is installed in a Mk2 Jetta.

Engine starts right up and idles fine, but is gutless when I try to drive it. It will accelerate, but much more slowly than my N/A Rabbit. I'm still using the ACN gasser trans which is geared a little tall but even still, I can tell it's a engine power issue. Even at high RPM I can hear the turbo spool but still only slight acceleration. Clutch is not slipping, if I floor it RPMs rise slowly with speed. Brakes are not dragging, car coasts just fine with clutch in.

No noticeable smoke from exhaust. No exhaust installed yet, just the turbo outlet elbow.

Head gasket doesn't seem blown. I used head studs and there is no unusual pressure in coolant bottle.

Possibilities:
  • Need to install exhaust (I don't think so)
    Shop didn't rebuild my IP properly (might need fuel screw turned up)
    I did the valve clearances wrong (even though I went to thinner shims?)
    Valves/seats are worn out and not sealing (even though the engine starts like a champ?)
    Maybe I didn't time it right (I have done my Rabbit before though with good results)
    Other: ???
Thanks in advance for any advice. Stupid car spent 3.5 years in my garage and I'd like to be done with it...
'82 Diesel Rabbit • '88 Fox (RIP) • '88 Jetta (work in progress)
MizPahPAH
Diesel Freak

Re: 3.5yr rebuild project done, but gutless... help?

Post by MizPahPAH »

Fresh Diesel or Old?
Pete
tylernt
Turbo Charger

Post by tylernt »

Good question, there's 5 gallons of fresh diesel in it. The car started life as a gas car until I converted it to diesel... ohhh, say, I probably didn't get all the gas out of the bottom of the tank. Old, nasty, stale, stinky gas, which probably had some water in it to boot. Dang, that's a good idea! I can drive it to the closest station to fill up with diesel!
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

Try increasing fuelling on the max fuel screw.
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Did you remove the gasoline pump from inside the tank?
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
tylernt
Turbo Charger

Post by tylernt »

82vdub wrote:Did you remove the gasoline pump from inside the tank?
I kept it, the glow plug relay turns that circuit on so it can prime the IP if necessary. I don't think fuel flow is an issue as I have clear fuel lines and the first time I started it up, I saw the IP sucking fuel way faster than I ever would have expected it too. But I'm willing to delete the in-tank pump if it's going to be a problem.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

What psi is the pump pushing fuel towards the IP?

I have too many to count
tylernt
Turbo Charger

Post by tylernt »

82vdub wrote:What psi is the pump pushing fuel towards the IP?
Not sure. Do you think the pressure is over-advancing the timing in the IP?
DanHoug
Turbo Charger

Post by DanHoug »

i just talked to a friend that had put a NOS 1.5L (yes NEW OLD STOCK!) block and a new head in his Caddy... he said it was really doggy and the mileage sucked so called the German shop he got it from... they said 'drive the hell out of it, the block it still tight'. he's done so and said that it has loosened up pretty noticably.

it may just be tight yet....

-dan
'91 Jetta NA on WVO for 120k miles
'91 Jetta ECO
tylernt
Turbo Charger

Post by tylernt »

DanHoug wrote: it may just be tight yet....
I remember the machinist was a bit freaked out when he saw how tight the factory cylinder-piston clearance spec was.

Tomorrow I'm going to add some red bottle "Iso-Heet" to help mop up any water and top up with diesel to see where that gets me...
bottleworks
Cetane Booster

Post by bottleworks »

You have the glow plug relay controlling the fuel pump? So, it's not pumping otherwise when the engine is running? Sounds like you could have a fuel restriction by the injection pump trying to suck through a tank pump that's not running.
1981 VW Rabbit Pickup
and an Additional 1981 VW Rabbit Pickup
"You may have to 'metaphorically' make a deal with the 'devil.' And by 'devil,' I mean Robot Devil. And by 'metaphorically,' I mean 'get your coat.'"
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

My question about the fuel pump comes from it being in the system when it's not supposed to be there. If the pump is running, it's pushing 75 psi fuel to the IP, that isn't supposed to have fuel pushed that hard to it (it actually pulls it's own fuel). If it's not running, then clearly there's an issue. I will agree that it seems like a fuel starvation issue somewhere. When it does this, is there foam in the clear fuel line going to the IP? To test for a fuel restriction (if you're not pulling fuel through an non-operating fuel pump), you can rig up a jug of fuel with an inline filter going directly to the IP. If it runs any different, it's likely not starving for fuel.

I have too many to count
damac
Diesel Freak

Post by damac »

I am no techie but assuming all the parts are working and there were no fuel delivery problems that sounds just like when I turned down my fuel screw on my pump when messing around with it. Because of that experience I found it best to just not mess with the fuel screw :)

It took probably less of a turn out(down) from where it was set to completely change my car into a gutless, undriveable mess. I recall not even being able to run a gear high or pull light hills in 2nd gear without almost stalling out.

I luckily had the lock collar still attached so I could get it really close back to stock setting.

On the flip side, I did try turning the fuel up after and it wasn't long until the revs would hang. Like I would cruise in 2nd gear and let off the gas and it would just keep crusing steady on flat ground. I didn't like how that acted as it didn't feel right and that was the end of me messing with the pump because I was only looking for the best mileage.

So is it possible that whoever rebuilt it messed up some settings with the interals of the pump and/or the injectors?

If the pump was under warranty I suppose its marked and you aren't going to want to open it up, so ask the people that did the servicing.

If it was me and I knew my pump/injectors were atleast rebuilt soundly I would mess with the fuel screw :)
1985 jetta turbo diesel, 5 speed manual
tylernt
Turbo Charger

Post by tylernt »

Well I just got back from adding Iso-Heet and filling up with diesel. No change. So I guess I will be ripping out that fuel pump and cranking up the max fuel screw.
tylernt
Turbo Charger

Post by tylernt »

First off, let me say thanks for all the advice. I did read all of it and I appreciate the help. :)

Ok, so today I took the transfer pump out of the tank. I discovered two things: one, it's not an impediment to fuel flow. I can blow (and even suck, yuck) through it no problem; two, it doesn't pump at all. Still, I went ahead and put it back in, because it has that nice micro-screen prefilter that will keep crud out of my fuel lines.

Quick question -- on-road diesel has blue dye, right? My fuel is a pretty blue color.

I ran out of time before I could adjust the max fuel screw, though. So that will be tomorrow's project.

It looks like the anti-tamper collar is snug against the pump, does this mean I need to remove the screw entirely and remove the collar before proceeding? Is there any danger to removing the screw -- nothing inside the pump will fall down inside and make my life miserable, correct?

Thanks again guys. I'm glad for your moral and technical support. :)