1.6 na engine code CS needs major parts & rebuild

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

daveinmexico
Glow Plug

1.6 na engine code CS needs major parts & rebuild

Post by daveinmexico »

I have an '81 caddy with a Vanagon engine code/number CS 049 353 which was swapped into the caddy at some time in the past. Problem was it smoked(white w/blue tinge) like crazy. I set the IP to book specs via the instructions by Vince Waldon several times but wherever I set the IP, it still smoked as before. My Mexican friend and former VW mechanic took it apart and found that the center main on the crankshaft was worn so severely that the bearing was super sloppy and the rod end had chewed the sides of the journal to the point that the machine shop would not try to repair the crank. My friend also found that the oil pump was toast and was the most likely cause. So...now I'm looking for parts to repair or replace this engine as we have tried to find parts here in Mexico but have yet to find anything but gaskets and filters. The crank is the one with the woodruff key/slot and the bearing journals are different than the CR code engines. The mains are 2.1250 and the rods 1.8920 measured with my mic. The engine has 12 mm head bolts and the trans is a 5-speed, tranny# FF18110. The head gasket was also different as it had 3 holes instead of the three notches. The pistons are also oversize at 76.98

What I need is info on parts availability or reasonable engine replacements. Obviously I will need a new/rebuilt crank with suitable bearings for the crank & rods, complete gasket set, head gasket, oil pump and while I'm at it, new motor mounts. Any help or info would be GREATLY appreciated as there is no way to return anything once it crosses the border! You are just stuck with it if it isn't the right part.

This caddy is needing a suspension restoration also, so I'm also looking for a source of struts and rear leaf springs. I only paid $100.00 for this caddy(not running), but got it running with all the smoke so I have some financial headroom to work with. However is it worth it to go this route or just to part it out(not much demand for '81 diesels down here)?

Thanks in advance for any info/help

Dave
If you see shoes and socks on my feet, I'm too far North.
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Re: 1.6 na engine code CS needs major parts & rebuild

Post by bscutt »

IN my opinion if you have a diesel Caddy not rusted out and otherwise not bad it's worth putting an engine into. For parts check with Jack who is the owner of this forum - See VWDIESELPARTS.COM link at the top of the page. He has all sorts of parts and information on these engines and is a joy to work with
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

So you found a caddy pickup without rusted out strut towers,
but the engine is tired?

Jack will get you the right parts.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
daveinmexico
Glow Plug

Post by daveinmexico »

Thanks for the info on parts. However, after reading some of the threads here, I have another question. If I decide to swap the engine, is the AAZ 1.9L something to look for? It seems that engine is one that will work better than the 1.6 in the caddy, but is it worth the effort to find a good one(running or rebuildable)? Haven't called Jack yet but want to be sure which way to go first.

Thanks again.....Dave
If you see shoes and socks on my feet, I'm too far North.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Since this isn't in a vanagon body:
I'm going to move it to the general section.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
ad
Forum Historian

Post by ad »

Im not really sure what the differences are between a CS and CR engine, but I would say get rid of the vanagon engine, and search for a CR, JK, or ME engine, which was intended for that vehicle. They are way more common than the vanagons. You can often find a running used engine for a few hundred dollars because the car body is rusted away beyond repair. Finding one in mexico may be a challenge, but it will always be way easier to find CR, JK, or ME. Go across the border into AZ and I bet you can find one, and then if you want to rebuild it, buy the parts from vwdieselparts.
Holes and notches in the head gasket are the same thing.

EDIT:
Actually I think the CR engine is the 11mm head bolt block, which you would would not want (somebody please correct me if Im wrong). Search for an ME or JK.
Last edited by ad on Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
1991 Jetta 1.6L N/A
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

I don't know if Jack will ship international or not. Depending on how close to the border you are and if you know someone on the US side, that's a possible way to get the parts to you if Jack won't send them out of the country. Jack should have all the engine parts you need. I'm not sure if he will have the suspension parts you need.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
Quantum TD
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum TD »

Those Vanagon engines tend to have rough lives (52 HP pushing 5000-6000 lbs). It's basically the same block as any early 1.6NA mechanical block. Rebuild it as you would any other motor.