vo control system

Anything related to biodiesel/biofuels, questions, answers, technical information for all VW Diesel Engines should go here.

Moderator: Fatmobile

bbob203
Turbo Charger

vo control system

Post by bbob203 »

just landed a used vo control flexible fuel system from a friend for 500 bucks. i got a box full of hoses, wiring, oils and filters. but no clue what the stuff is for sure and no instructions. gonna be putting it on a 91 jetta gl na. he will also be hooking me up with a 4 gallon trunk tank and he said i could just re route the existing fuel lines to the 4 gallon for the diesel and run new lines from my stock tank and use that for the vo. i know i there's still a lot of stuff i need to get before i can do the job. guess some suggestions would be nice. thanks a lot.

here are some pics of all the item i was given
91 jetta gl na german built
91 jetta gl ecodiesel
bbob203
Turbo Charger

Re: vo control system

Post by bbob203 »

hes also gonna give me the controller computer.
91 jetta gl ecodiesel
mtran
Diesel Freak

Post by mtran »

I`ll improve my English
the vegenator
Turbo Charger

Post by the vegenator »

Ya know, I've never used the digital automated switching system, mainly because I've only been able to afford the on/off switches. So, I'm not of much help as far as the vo control, but I can say those fuel tank switching solenoids in the second picture are just like the ones I have. Used for switching between fuel sources and switching between return lines. The fuel filter heater you have looks pretty good... you could probably mount that near your diesel filter.

I would probably find a biofuels forum for more help. I'm sure you'll find plenty of folks that use the same system that can help you sort stuff out.

Good luck with everything!
- Mike Harpring

'85 VW Jetta NA Diesel/WVO
bbob203
Turbo Charger

Post by bbob203 »

vegenator are you using injection line heaters? tanks heaters? what tank setup do you have?
91 jetta gl ecodiesel
the vegenator
Turbo Charger

Post by the vegenator »

I don't have injection line heaters. I've never seen this in use before. I use the hose-in-a-hose method for heating the fuel send, which delivers hot fuel to the engine compartment. My in-tank heater is aluminum tubing coiled up in the tank, with hot coolant flowing through it.

I've thought about adding a heat exchanger before the veg hits the IP... like some of those 12v powered heat exchangers. But since most of my long-distance driving takes place in warmer weather, I might not worry about this.

I'm about to re-do my system, so I'm thinking I will run my coolant lines/hose-in-a-hose on the floor of my car, instead of under-neath the car.
- Mike Harpring

'85 VW Jetta NA Diesel/WVO
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Yeah, that's the toughest decision.
How to get the route the fuel line from the tank in the back to the engine bay.

I've gone to running it inside the rocker panels, under the doors.
Works great on a 2-door, not enough space between the rear door and wheel well to do it on a 4-door without cutting and making a channel in the wheel well,.. but I still like it better than in the car or under.

For controls all I need is a simple beeper to remind me I didn't flush,
something that goes off until the key is removed, if the vegy switch is on.

... and maybe a flush timer so I don't forget I'm purging and am reminded to shut it off.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
bbob203
Turbo Charger

Post by bbob203 »

how do you setup a hose in hose configuration? and you only run it on the line to the engine not the return?
91 jetta gl ecodiesel