1985 golf diesel front conversion to round headlights

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

matt1234
Glow Plug

1985 golf diesel front conversion to round headlights

Post by matt1234 »

Hello everyone. I have a 1985 golf diesel. I dont know if its an mk1 or 2. I have done some research and i would like to get rid the square headlights and convert them to either the quad, or just the two round headlights. I have seen both types on google images. Upon reseach i guess you have to change the grill, lights, radiator support and i hope not the fenders as i have read. is there a link or can someone help me out. It would be much apprecaited! thanks guys.
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Re: 1985 golf diesel front conversion to round headlights

Post by bscutt »

Try the vwvortex.com forum, lots of guys doing customizations over there.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
matt1234
Glow Plug

Post by matt1234 »

thank you
diesel freak
Diesel Freak

Post by diesel freak »

I have a 1986 Golf diesel that I changed the square lights to two roumd ones. Found a two round headlight radiator support at pullapart and ordered two round healights off of E-bay. No problem and I like the looks much better. You can find a new grill for about $40 to finish it off.
One W/the truckers
Glow Plug

Post by One W/the truckers »

I have an 86 Golf diesel. When the headlights were left on and the key was turned off, the headlights went off, but the parking lights stayed on which I believe to be the way it was supposed to be. (I'm sure a relay is involved)
Then starting several months ago, the headlights would stay on when the key was removed and the radio also stayed on. When I turned the lights off, the radio went off. (guessing the relay went bad, can someone tell which relay under the dash is for this?)

NOW, key on, headlight switch on and only the dashlights and parking lights go on, NO HEADLIGHTS. I removed the switch, jumpered 12v to the headlight wire and the headlights work. Sounds like a bad switch (Agree or Disagree?). And does the power from the switch actually power the headlights or does it go to another relay?

Thanks in advance
Bill
86 Golf 1.6D (non-turbo)
95 Dodge 3500 5.9L Cummins
the man 53
Turbo Charger

Post by the man 53 »

http://store.concept1.ca/store/category ... page2.html

They used to have core supports, but I cannot find them now. MK2 7" rounds are not the same as MK1 7" rounds so don't buy wrong on that. Same with the core supports. MK1 and 2 are totoally different.

found them:
http://store.concept1.ca/store/category ... page2.html
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

I scooped a GTI grill, rad support headlight set-up a few years ago from pick and pull. On closer inspection the headlights don't look like OEM. Autopal 4H with a little daytime running light. They have a big square mounting bracket that looks as if it could screwed on to just about any vehicle. A truck driver friend of mine thinks that these reflective headlights are far superior. I've always had sealed beams and don't real know the difference.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
the man 53
Turbo Charger

Post by the man 53 »

The sealed beam is old school. The newer H4 housings are great. Relay the lights so you don't burn your switch up. I ran a couple different bulbs and liked the 90/100w white best so far. The blue I ran were great except when it was new blacktop, wet road, and the road signs were a little weird reflecting.
That isn't a daytime runner as far as I know it is what they call a city light and most put in a yellow/amber. It is for night and parking driving in the city.
They could be screwed to anything, but if you want to be able to use them they are pretty specific to the core support they are designed for. Mine took forever to adjust as the core support was tweaked a little bit. Make sure to get matching generations as they will not play together without much modification.