1979 Diesel oil recommendations

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

brandnwname
Glow Plug

1979 Diesel oil recommendations

Post by brandnwname »

I just purchased a 1979 VW Rabbit Diesel. I unfortunately hit something and put a hole in my oil pan. What kind of oil would be recommended I use after replacing the pan?
'69 Karmann Ghia
'79 Rabbit Diesel C
'07 Rabbit
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Re: 1979 Diesel oil recommendations

Post by 82vdub »

Welcome to the forum. You should use diesel rated oil in a diesel. I run 15W40 in the summer months up here. Also put your location in your profile so we know if you're in a warm, hot, lukewarm, or cold climate for answers.

Additional recommendations is to change the fuel filter unless you know for a fact that the previous owner "just" changed it, and check the condition of the timing belt. If you are going to service the car yourself, you'll save lots of money and time by buying a Bentley repair manual. Also, when's the last time the valve clearance was checked? I check those when I change timing belts.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
brandnwname
Glow Plug

Post by brandnwname »

The PO had a new motor mount installed, the timing adjusted, new fuel filter, and oil change all done in May so all of that should be good. Just happended to find part of the road that sunk and couldn't avoid it in time, so my oil pan slammed against the pavement. So now that has to be fixed.
'69 Karmann Ghia
'79 Rabbit Diesel C
'07 Rabbit
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

I actually run Shell Rotella synthetic all the time in mine - it's more expensive and I do have some small leaks, requiring about 1/2 quart added per month, but I feel better running the synthetic - I think it gives better lubrication than dino oil. That said, I ran regular Rotella in my other Rabbits and they all held up very well but I never put more than 170K miles on any of those.

Whatever you run just make sure it's diesel rated to handle the soot.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
DanHoug
Turbo Charger

Post by DanHoug »

as a new diesel owner, take the timing belt very seriously as breakage will ruin your cylinder head. you said the PO 'adjusted' it.... red flag because you need to know it has been *replaced* within the previous 60K miles. if you don't know the mileage it was *replaced* at, it is time to replace it.

it may just be a matter of semantics... but adjust and replace are two entirely different things to me. they typically aren't adjusted once they have been replaced.

but welcome to the world of diesel! you'll have fun since you are the type that bought a 32 year old vehicle.

-dan
'91 Jetta NA on WVO for 120k miles
'91 Jetta ECO
DanHoug
Turbo Charger

Post by DanHoug »

and re-reading your post, you said the PO 'adjusted timing'... i read that as 'adjusted timing belt' on my earlier post so you need to find out when the belt was replaced, if it has been. crucial thing to do as 82vdub said.

-dan
'91 Jetta NA on WVO for 120k miles
'91 Jetta ECO