non-starting issues -- odd symptoms

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

diesel_fool
Cetane Booster

non-starting issues -- odd symptoms

Post by diesel_fool »

Hi all,

I replaced the water pump on my 1.6L n/a diesel two days ago and ended up putting on a new timing belt at the same time (because I couldn't reach one of the bolts holding the water pump on the engine block and so had to remove the IP from its bracket to get access). All of the re-installation went smoothly (or so I thought) but when I went to start for the first time, I cannot get it to go.

In the last two days I've checked out everything I can think of and nothing seems to make a difference.

The battery is on a charger (being kept full) and I have good cranking speed. I'm getting fuel out of the injector lines. I checked all the glow plugs and did a compression test. Glow plugs all glow red and the compression is not perfect but quite adequate for normal starting (all cylinders above 400 psi). Timing has been checked, double checked and triple checked with a dial gauge -- and is currently showing as .97 mm (though I have experimented with advanced and retarted timings).

I don't have any clear fuel lines in the system to check for air bubbles; however, the line from the filter to the pump looks good upon visual inspection. The only thing I can find wrong is that the little braided return lines between the injectors are somewhat leaky due to being cracked in places (and I do not have any replacement hose on hand to put on). I didn't think that leaks in these lines would completely prevent the engine from starting -- but could this be the issue? Engine turns over nice and quickly but never hits or even sounds like it might start. I have cranked quite a bit, so I believe the lines should be plenty primed.

Any ideas on what to check out next? Engine ran fine prior to water pump/timing belt job. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

-Jay
79' White Bunny. 1.6 n/a.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Re: non-starting issues -- odd symptoms

Post by 82vdub »

Do you have a Bentley manual and did you align the IP sprocket mark with the mark on the IP bracket? If not, the IP could be 180 degrees out. I've also put the incoming fuel line on the "out" bolt and vice versa. Double check that too to make sure you didn't goof those up. If you have a block heater, plug that in as it will allow it to start up like it's warm out after a couple hours.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
diesel_fool
Cetane Booster

Post by diesel_fool »

Yes -- have a Bentley. I thought I had aligned the sprocket correctly, but after reading your post I went out to check and there it was. I took off the belt, rotated the sprocket 180 degrees and that fixed it right up. Thanks so much for pointing that out to me. I thought I'd have seen something that obvious but I guess I never actually checked it. The upshot is that now my valve clearances are adjusted and I know my compression & glow plugs are good :)
TylerDurden
Turbo Charger

Post by TylerDurden »

Glad to hear it is resolved.

BTW, If any fuel lines, (even the small ones) have leaks, the system can siphon back to the tank.

Clear fuel lines are an easy and effective indicator of air in the lines. Air can prevent starting and/or poor running at high rpm.
Have a nice day.

'91 Jetta ECOdiesel TD - clean & complete (less motor/tranny) for sale

'82 Westy Vanagon 1.9 N/A - 23.5mpg
'86 Jetta TD - 45-50mpg
'81 Dasher Wagon 1.6 N/A - 52mpg
'84 Wasserboxer - DOA, parts donor
'94 Passat wagon VR6
'03 Jetta TDI wagon 230K, 52.3mpg
'89 Jetta N/A - 51mpg
'82 Caddy 1.6 N/A - Sold
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Glad to hear you got it running fairly easy.

I have too many to count
diesel_fool
Cetane Booster

Post by diesel_fool »

Here is a little follow-up:

After rotating the IP pulley and putting it back together, the engine started but soon began needing more cranks to get going. When the car sat for a few hours without running, it would not start at all. I opened up the IP via the return line bolt and found it was not full of fuel. Moral of the story -- new injector return hoses between all the injectors & the IP fixed things right up (after priming the pump with ATF). Apparently even fairly minor cracks in those lines can cause a lot of trouble.

What I'm wondering is -- where do I get clear fuel line and what is it called? I've asked around at some of the local auto parts places and no one knows what I'm talking about.
the man 53
Turbo Charger

Post by the man 53 »

I get line from chainsaw and atv shops. Yellow or blue respectively but you can see through it. It will hold up to fuel of all types.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

You can use the cheap vinyl lines as well, but those don't last as long as the good fuel rated lines. You may have to double clamp the cheap vinyl lines as well so that air doesn't get in. I have this line on ole' 82 with single clamps and haven't had any issues. Instead of the line lasting for 5+ years, you may have to change it every couple years is all.

I have too many to count
diesel_fool
Cetane Booster

Post by diesel_fool »

Just to clarify -- by cheap vinyl lines, do you mean the clear flexible hose that can be found in any neighborhood hardware store or something else?
Una
Cetane Booster

Post by Una »

I wouldn't think that stuff could hold up. It gets crazy stiff below room temp, and crazy soft above room temp. It kinks easily, and under any kind of vacuum it will collapse in on itself. I can't imagine that's the vinyl he meant, but it does fit what he said "cheap vinyl lines"..
I've been looking for something decent to replace mine with as well. As yet, I haven't found anything suitable.
'81 Diesel Rabbit
'88 Dodge Omni
the man 53
Turbo Charger

Post by the man 53 »

I have used the cheap vynal lines and after about a month the diesel turns them so hard they don't kink or suck down at all :D
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Yea, I do mean those cheap $.30/ft vinyl lines. They've been on my car for about 18 months now without issue.

I have too many to count