Intermediate Shaft bearing tool

Cars and Parts
Please list location (city, state) of merchandise in thread title

Moderator: Fatmobile

rdezsofi
Glow Plug

Intermediate Shaft bearing tool

Post by rdezsofi »

I've been making these for a while, basically selling them by word of mouth only. Right now I sell about one a week......contact me if you want one! The complete tool goes for $120+ $5 shipping; I also sell just the threaded dies for $65+$5 shipping. You'll note the T Handle, it ensures the rod doesn't twist while installing. Also, the larger end of the die is just small enough to slide through the bearing bore in the block, so you can pull the whole thing through. The dies are long enough to remove and install in one step, although I also make a shorter set as I believe it's better to do them separately. The crosspiece keeps everything away from the block, so you have room to remove the front bearing without unbolting the attachment. Sold a few to individuals, but lately a lot of VW shops that all write back and say it works real slick, no problem first try!

Josh
Turbo Charger

Re: Intermediate Shaft bearing tool

Post by Josh »

I haven't purchased one of these from the seller, but paid more than that to have a local shop machine the parts from aluminum for my homemade press. If anybody has used this guy's product with success, you might share a recommendation with the community, because purchasing from him looks like a very competitive price. The photos appear to show quality stuff, and it's a product heretofore unavailable on the market.
-'79 rabbit, getting parted out
-'82 quantum wagon, gutting.
-'84 rehabbed quantum TD sedan, southern rustless beauty for sale
-'82 cherry Westy from AZ
-more all the time; are they breeding?
rdezsofi
Glow Plug

Post by rdezsofi »

So far, I've only received positive feedback on the tool. One customer wrote that 'it worked like a charm', and then ordered a second one for a friend of his. When I get an order ready to ship, I can set it up on Ebay.....that way you get tracking, and the ability to contest anything.
Quantum TD
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum TD »

Since you're handy with the tool making, maybe we can convince you to make something like this?

http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php?topic=27450.0
rdezsofi
Glow Plug

Post by rdezsofi »

Let me source a crank gear and I'll see what I can make......I'll let you know shortly :-)
Quantum TD
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum TD »

I think you can get the Meyle TDI sprocket for like $15-20. I'm pretty sure I can get them for about that. I'd even donate one to the cause.

Many people have made versions of this, but no-one wants to make it for sale or they've never been quite satisfied with the end result enough to make them for production. It seems like an easy thing to do. The hard part seems to making a tool that works with the front seal cover still on the car, or that can be used with the motor in the car, without interference. Personally, I don't care. I just want to fix the crank nose on my AAZ. :lol:
rdezsofi
Glow Plug

Post by rdezsofi »

Do you have an old one laying around????
the man 53
Turbo Charger

Post by the man 53 »

I don't think the problem is the function of the tool. The problem is that the broach is going to cost at least a couple hundred dollars. Andrew has one that he will let people borrow/rent but only if they are local in his town in AZ. I luckily had mine done by a machine shop when I had the crank out.
rdezsofi
Glow Plug

Post by rdezsofi »

We now have another one finished and for sale! As with the other recent models, the T-Handle is not only threaded to take the 1/2" x 13NC threaded rod, but also has a steel pin pressed in to prevent the threaded rod from turning. (Eliminates having to use a locknut on the T-Handle.) Also, the allen head bolts that mount the unit to the block are now recessed into the crosspiece.

Pictures below. Christmas Special for $125 + shipping. Tell your spouse you want it for Christmas! These are part of a 'limited edition run'......I am gearing up to start producing a valve spring compressor specifically for the 8 valve heads. (Wait till you see it....it'll make it so easy to change valve stem seals with the head installed!)

This is also listed on Vortex.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.p ... stall-Tool
I'll give it a few days and then put it up on Ebay for $145 + shipping...

gasher
Glow Plug

Post by gasher »

how do i contact you?
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

gasher, welcome to the forum. Click on the "pm" logo under the post of the poster that you want to contact. This will send an email message to the poster that they can reply to your message.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
rdezsofi
Glow Plug

Post by rdezsofi »

I sent him an e-mail with contact info.....
rdezsofi
Glow Plug

Post by rdezsofi »

I have 2 left for sale, and then production ceases while I re-tool to start producing a new valve spring compressor. (Wait till you see that one! You get to use both hands to get the keepers in and out.)

I have both listed on EBay, get 'em while you can! If you're looking to remove and install intermediate shaft bearings without stripping the whole block down, and taking it to a machine shop....this is what you need.

The handles on these last 2 are stainless steel, and bronze bushing in the cross piece. Stainless steel nuts as well.

$134.99 + shipping

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190610579195?it ... m=&vxp=mtr

ohnoitsnick
Glow Plug

Post by ohnoitsnick »

Can you PM a technical drawing? I can make this at my school's machine shop and you would save me a lot of time measuring stuff out. Thanks in advance
Quadcaddy
Glow Plug

Post by Quadcaddy »

I want to buy one of these asap.... If I can't buy one from you in the next few days, iI'll get the one I don't want to buy on eBay. This seems like a much improved mousetrap and like the idea. Pm me or email me kind sir.