1982 vanagon injector pump leak,need seal and info

Moderator: Fatmobile

olpos
Glow Plug

1982 vanagon injector pump leak,need seal and info

Post by olpos »

Hi everyone.this seems like a great place for VW information.Just bought a 1982 Vanagon w/1.6L diesel.
The IP ,injector pump, seems to be leaking fuel from the front,timing belt end of pump,also has a lot of air in fuel line.I need help with finding the front seal and maybe a rebuild kit for the I.P..
Also can someone point me to info on the pump rebuild, or at least front seal replacement.

I tried the search function and i got way to much unrelated info .I need to learn how to search.
This is my first vw since about 1990.
Owned about 10 vw campers and many vw bugs/squarebacks before the 90's
Worked on vw's for many years,now a smog tech and MBZ nut,124's....,but i am going back to Westfalias
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Re: 1982 vanagon injector pump leak,need seal and info

Post by bscutt »

Here's a link to pump rebuilding but is probably more than you need for seal replacement

viewtopic.php?t=6694

if that link doesn't work see the General Section under Tech FAQ Thread on page 2 near the bottom of the page - poster was CoolairVW

The seal kits can be obtained from most Bosch dealers or rebuilders. Try Jack who is the forum owner, he has a rebuilder in Ohio who sold me an IP rebuilt that works well. I believe the rebuilder is called Kelch Repair Service in Bethel Ohio
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
olpos
Glow Plug

Post by olpos »

Thanks for the link and help on the seal itself. After a bunch of call's i found one here in San Diego. :D :) :idea: :wink:
mtran
Diesel Freak

Post by mtran »

Our friend hagar told about use of "xilol" to swell seal.I didn`t try this.
Best is rebuilding but take a LOT of pictures,and READ much about this on this forum.
ps.only hard for 1 time
I`ll improve my English
olpos
Glow Plug

Post by olpos »

Just a quick thank you for the help.While i was doing the seal i found that the timing belt valve timing was off by one tooth.So having the seal leak worked out for the best.The bus was slow but i thought it was from the 48 H.P. ...I never drove over 30 mph on the test run,was waiting for the leak to be fixed.
OH WHAT A FEELING :D
Thanks again
Rich