FS: 1980 VW Caddy LX 4 spd, Chicago. Mechanics Special!

Cars and Parts
Please list location (city, state) of merchandise in thread title

Moderator: Fatmobile

supersisu
Diesel Freak

FS: 1980 VW Caddy LX 4 spd, Chicago. Mechanics Special!

Post by supersisu »

1980 VW Caddy LX 4 speed for sale in Chicago. MECHANICS SPECIAL! :)

Clear title. I bought this Texas truck on eBay for $2500 in 2007. Wiring started on fire about an hour north of Dallas (I didn't know how to work the incredibly crazy wiring done by the p.o.) I drove it to Chicago with no gauges, ran strong, no mechanical problems. This truck was meant to replace my Rabbit, but I've spent all my time working on the Rabbit and not much on this truck. I did a title transfer, but never put new plates on it and have not had it on the road. Odometer shows 97,000.

Brake lights do not work, you would have to tow it in its present condition. It's in Humboldt Park, west side of Chicago. You would be welcome to try to fix the brake lights if you want to fuss around with it a little. You can test drive it around my parking lot.

I replaced a lot of the wiring by splicing in parts of another harness. I had everything working except the tailights when I plugged in the radio and burned up more wires (?). So now a bunch of things don't work anymore and I'm running out of good weather, time, and patience.

I've started it up, let it run for an hour, and driven it around my parking lot every month or so, starts well with some smoke that goes away after awhile.

List of problems:
Wiring (write for more details)
Cracked windshield (have new seal)
Rust hole at bottom of windshield
Pretty dirty carpet, headliner, cracked dash
Door panels pretty messed up, I was going to laminate some cardboard onto them with a vacuum bag table.

I've taken out the grill to clean it, a few cracks that I've tried to repair.

No bad rust anywhere as far as I can tell. The bed is dented and rusty but no holes. I've put rust converter on any surface rust I saw, doesn't look all that good but stops the rust. This truck was used as a worktruck, with dings, scratches, and hail damage. Your could paint it if you are into that kind of thing, I've rubbed some of it out, it cleaned up pretty well. The white residue on the paint is from the fibreglass top eroding.

I'd like to get $1750, but would take $1500. My only condition is that you live far enough away from me so that I don't have to see you driving it around. It's a bit embarrassing that I haven't gotten it on the road in 4 years.

Here's a link for photos (I'll post more tonight):
http://www.pbase.com/supersisu/buttercup

Thanks,
Erik
enewman@hhuman.com
1981 Rabbit "Rosebud" (smashed-up parts car)
1980 Caddy 4 spd "Buttercup"
1983 Jetta 5 spd
supersisu
Diesel Freak

Re: FS: 1980 VW Caddy LX 4 spd, Chicago. Mechanics Special!

Post by supersisu »

Now $1000 before the snow falls.
1983 Jetta 5 spd
fj40dave
Cetane Booster

Post by fj40dave »

Dang.....I live on the West Coast....WA
supersisu
Diesel Freak

Post by supersisu »

Aren't there a million of these out west? Since my Rabbit got smashed up, and I may have found somebody cheap and good who can do wiring indoors, I might be keeping it. Sorry for the tease!
1983 Jetta 5 spd
fj40dave
Cetane Booster

Post by fj40dave »

I see a lot of 'em.....but none are for sale, or they are modified (lowered/painted/"tricked-out").....

I think the stock diesel Caddy is simply awesome!
supersisu
Diesel Freak

Post by supersisu »

No longer for sale, back on the road after a few serious weeks in a friends heated garage. My brain neural network now looks like a wiring diagram for a 1980 pickup.

It's amazing how different the truck feels compared to the Rabbit, even though it's very similar it feels like, ah, a truck.
1983 Jetta 5 spd