helicoiling the t/b tensioner, need sizing help

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

texcl
Turbo Charger

helicoiling the t/b tensioner, need sizing help

Post by texcl »

Well, I chickened out, I'm going to helicoil the t/b tensioner stud. i turned the engine ovr a couple of times and she was so nice and tight with awsome compression I decided, hell I've waited this long to do it right no reason to tempt fate. So I've never used a helicoil before, first off , I'd like to verify that the t/b stud is indeed 10mmx1.5 I know it's m10 just dont know the pitch for sure. next what size drill bit do I need, I'm going to pick up a new one with the kit. lastly, do yall have any advice (besides installing the studs before you put the head on the engine so you don't have to pull it again to install a helicoil :? ). Thanks in advance.
1980 Dasher 1.5l
the man 53
Turbo Charger

Re: helicoiling the t/b tensioner, need sizing help

Post by the man 53 »

Yes it is m10-1.5

Timeserts might help you.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Was it timesets that are a bit longer than helicoils?

The tensioner is important, helicoils might not be long enough, have enough threads.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
the man 53
Turbo Charger

Post by the man 53 »

Helicoil is just a name brand. Recoil I personally think is the best brand out there. I sell lots of SAE and USS inserts but no metric. I don't know how they would measure them for length. If it is the same usually it is like this 1/4-20x1.5D where the length is 1.5 times the diameter, 1.5 is the standard unless specified. I think you can get x1, x1.5, and x3 on the diameter. So if it holds the same on the Metric side then an M10 would be 15mm long or roughly 5/8"
texcl
Turbo Charger

Post by texcl »

I ended up sending the head back to the vendor, they said they'd pay for all the ruined gaskets and such plus they said it would void the warrenty on the new head if I did the work myself. What's anouther 2-3 weeks right?! :roll: I am very happy with the way they handled it so far, very professional but I won't name names till it's all said and done.
1980 Dasher 1.5l
FineFrank
Turbo Charger

Post by FineFrank »

Fatmobile wrote:Was it timesets that are a bit longer than helicoils?

The tensioner is important, helicoils might not be long enough, have enough threads.
Yes. In addition to being longer than a helicoil, they are much more likely to stay IN the part they're installed in.
I'd recommend a Timesert over a Helicoil, and I've installed literally (really!) thousands of them.