5 Diesel Rabbits at my local J-yard

Cars and Parts
Please list location (city, state) of merchandise in thread title

Moderator: Fatmobile

Quantum TD
Turbo Charger

5 Diesel Rabbits at my local J-yard

Post by Quantum TD »

So, I stopped at a new junkyard near me. There were FIVE Rabbit diesels (all sedans). A couple of coupes and a couple of sedans. Here's the motor breakdown:

1X 1977 1.5 11mm head (CLEAN-looking motor). NO AC
3X 1981 1.6 11mm heads (all with cracked blocks or blown head gaskets: oil puking out of the coolant reservoir). ALL with AC
1X 1982 1.6 12mm head AC

From the best that I can tell, someone must have had a Rabbit diesel fetish, and had a collection. Someone must have scrapped the whole lot.

Anyways, I pulled a bunch of stuff, and will be heading back this coming weekend for more. Here's what I'm gonna be pulling on the return trip for myself:

1.6 12mm head
camshafts
intermediate shafts (possibly: PITA to remove on a MK1)
AC bracketry (without alternators)
Any stamped metal pulleys (most are 1981 cars, and have the cast-iron pulleys for 40mm water pump)
Odds and ends

Body parts are pretty much out of the question, since most of the cars came from the North and are rusted out. That, and I wouldn't know to ship it. The interiors are pretty pigged out too on all of them, from windows being left open. Plastic bits are cooked from southern heat, and the mice have had their way with the interiors/wiring. Just about all the plastic taillights are missing parts/broken, and there may be one good 81-84 Westy grill out of the lot. So, only the mechanical parts are worth a snot.

Anyways, I won't be grabbing any huge things, since the prices aren't super. Also, I don't usually buy 11mm head parts since those motors suck and aren't worth the effort.

However, if someone wanted anything 11mm related, send me a PM and I'll consider buying it. I have an inspection method for checking out heads for straightness when on and off the car (and without a straightedge). It's a pretty reliable method. I'm sure that at least ONE of the 11mm heads is good, and I'd venture to say that the 1.5 is good. That motor is super clean. I'd need to get compensated for what I pay on the parts, but I won't be making any money on this really, I just hate to see good parts get scrapped when there is such a strong community of people keeping these cars alive and parts getting harder to find as it is.

Anyways, mods, please feel free to move this to classifieds. I would have put it there, but I figured it's an opportunity for all, and not many people hit the classified section.

Please PM me if there is something you'd need (I'm not on here a lot anymore, but I'll get an email for any PMs). I'll guesstimate what the prices will run for each part (they don't have a set price sheet, but I have an idea from what they charged on the other parts). I won't hold you to it on your end, and I can't guarantee the parts will be there when I head back.
the man 53
Turbo Charger

Re: 5 Diesel Rabbits at my local J-yard

Post by the man 53 »

Dibs on any cast thermostat outlets...pm sending
DrAnonymous
Cetane Booster

Post by DrAnonymous »

Stuff I'd like for my 83 1.6

- Intermediate shaft
- Glow plug fuse block, the one that mounts on the driver's side firewall
- Bolts that mount the alternator, A/C, and brackets on. Basically any of the bolts and nuts from that area
- Injector pump mounting bolts

I'm fairly picky about having the right original nuts, bolts, and screws whenever I get the chance. :)

Any ideas on cost?

What a great find you made.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Moving this to the for sale fora
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
DrAnonymous
Cetane Booster

Post by DrAnonymous »

Any news on those finds?
the man 53
Turbo Charger

Post by the man 53 »

x2 I pm'ed and had a response, but nothing more.
iv111
Glow Plug

Post by iv111 »

Let me know about 1.6 heads. :D Thanks
82 Vanagon 1.6D
the man 53
Turbo Charger

Post by the man 53 »

Nothing yet.
Quantum TD
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum TD »

the man 53 wrote:Nothing yet.
Not yet. Busy as hell. Perhaps next weekend, or the following, or the following, or the following........