Can old GTI rabbits be converted to TDIs?

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Michael
Cetane Booster

Can old GTI rabbits be converted to TDIs?

Post by Michael »

Hi All:
I know nothing about turbo-injection, but have successfully completed a complete rebuild of an old 1.6L and its injection pump, so I have learned some valuable things about getting old diesel golfs back on the road.
I see some old GTIs sitting around town, waiting for fate to strike them. I have an extra 1.6L diesel engine (1982 vintage), and am wondering if the turbo system in an old GTI rabbit can be used if I were to install my engine in one of these cars? As I recall, the handling on the GTIs was very tight, sporty, and I used to want one - though have never inquired about them.
Thanks for your comments.
- Michael, Seattle
Una
Cetane Booster

Re: Can old GTI rabbits be converted to TDIs?

Post by Una »

GTI's were not turbo. TDI's aren't 1.6L, they're computer controlled 1.9L diesels, as I understand it. To swap a turbo onto a 1.6L, you just need an appropriately sized turbo and a manifold to bolt it to (they're on eBay for dirt cheap). To swap an actual TDI motor into an old GTI, you'll pretty much need a full TDI donor car to swap the entire wiring harness along with the entire engine. It'll be epic when it's done though. Killer mileage, and power. It's on my to-do list with my '81..
'81 Diesel Rabbit
'88 Dodge Omni
Michael
Cetane Booster

Post by Michael »

Thanx for the compassionate reply; my ignorance was flaming.
I just like the handling of the old GTIs (drove one through the Highlands once), and since giving up my old Alfa Spider for this '85 Golf Diesel, a veritable half-full bath-tub on wheels, I've been craving a finer driving experience.
I've also been looking for a Geo Metro convertible to put a 1.5 diesel into, and hope - eventually - for a Mini Cooper to put a 1.6L turbo diesel into; it may happen eventually.
I've just finished one 1.6L diesel, but Hagar and further research has given me the desire to put a turbo onto something, next time.
Thanx for the info. about the GTIs; I'd always thought the name meant gas turbo injection.
I'll be looking around for some parts.
Good luck in your endeavors.
Michael, Seattle
the man 53
Turbo Charger

Post by the man 53 »

I have an 83 GTI and an 86 Jetta. I parted the 83 as I thought the handling was horrible. Ride was worse. I think the MK2 platform has much better suspension, BUT you have to buy non stock struts and shocks. If you even go with Bilstein's first level it is wonderful from what I gather. I am doing my 86 in pieces. I did all the prothane suspension bushings up front and the shock mounts in rear. I did not do the axle beam in the rear as from what others have said it doesn't do well for the steel in the beam. Up front it has a stock sway bar and I just added the prothane inserts to the ends. I also added a front strut tower brace. After doing that and all ball joints and tie rods and getting it aligned, it is on a rail. I need to upgrade the shocks and struts now, but right after doing all this when those parts were fairly new it was amazing. I drive the same roads all the time and could easily do 1.5x faster through the corners with the jetta than I could with the GTI.

I guess what I am saying is for all the work involved it would be a better ride and less work for you to upgrade your current suspension. As opposed to getting a GTI and converting it to diesel then turboing it. If your car doesn't have a strut tower brace and sway bars you could add that first. Especially if it isn't a german made car, as the german made MK2 are alot stiffer than the non german plant made ones. The only reason would to do the GTI conversion would be if you wanted the very minimal weight reduction of the MK1 or the body style. You could do all the suspension mods to the GTI as well but IMHO the MK1 stuff doesn't hold up 1/2 as well as the MK2.
Michael
Cetane Booster

Post by Michael »

Thank you for saving me the time of trying something foolish, and for dispatching my fanciful notions about the GTI.
I'll look into some suspension modifications, then, this Spring.
I am back, currently, as to what I should/can do with my spare engine.
It needs a head. Then a cylinder bore and new pistons/rings, and turbo connecting rods, etc. Then I need to get a turbo.
What to put it into, still remains the question.
If I do the suspension mods you've outlined, then it would make sense to swap the turbo 1.6L into my '85 Golf.
BTW: How much will your upgrades cost you, and what is your motivation for doing so?
Additionally: how much of this work are you able to do for yourself? You mentioned the rails; do you mean that you have an alignment set-up in your home garage, or are you a professional working at your shop?
At any rate: I enjoy a solid ride, even if the power plant is only a 54 bhp diesel.
My main car, for most of my life, was a Datsun 1200 B-110, which I eventually had to sell (to a mechanic who is racing it on the track) because I couldn't repair the body after it was rear-ended; a victim of the current SUV craze. Never get so close to the car in front of you that you can't pull-out quickly when you see an impending rear-end collision coming up fast through your rear-view mirror; teach your children well!
The Datsun handled very well, and was a satisfying break from my sports car.
The diesel has also been satisfying from another stand-point: efficiency and simplicity - function before form. 58 mpg (U.S.) freeway 8 mo. post-rebuild. And I thought the Datsun, with 36 city and 42 freeway was awesome.
Back to your project: I'm keen on expense, right now, but will look into some of these things you're doing, this Spring.
Thankx again for sharing!
Michael, Seattle
the man 53
Turbo Charger

Post by the man 53 »

I bought the prothane kit of ebay for around 70.00 and installed it myself. It is part # 22-2009

Here is a current link: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... Categories

I bought the strut tower brace off of the whoretex for 60.00 and installed it myself. They have them on ebay as well. I got a neuspeed, but would have picked another if doing it again. It has to be removed to adjust the valves:(

The prothane stuff doesn't need to have a shop press to press in. I did it all by my fingers. The old would need a press to get it out. I did pay to have an alignment done as I don't have access to a rack.

By saying it is on rails I am meaning if you point the car with the wheel to any given direction it goes there. No screeching tires under more than normal driving conditions and no hesitations it just turns. I haven't pushed it to the edge yet, but I have taken a 15mph posted corner at 55mph. It did screech a little on that one. The real noticable improvement is taking much higher speed corners at even higher speeds. you can take a 35mph corner at 70 in 5th gear OR take the same corner at 80mph in 4th gear. It depends on the corner, but you get the idea.
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

The only TDI engines that will bolt into a rabbit is Z1/AHU engine codes. Their are still quite a few mod's to do but no motor mount changes. These are the early TDI's. They are a sot after engine and not cheap. People are trying to save money by not changing the timing belt. Creating a demand for these engines.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/