Oil filter woes

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

robbertwilliams
Cetane Booster

Oil filter woes

Post by robbertwilliams »

Recently after putting a new vacuum pump in the 82 jetta, a few starts after the install the o-ring on the oil filter blew out and oil sprayed all over, upon start up. A friend suggested running lighter weight oil for the cold weather, 5-30. So I changed the oil and threw on a new meyle filter, tightened to hand tight. Same thing happened again, the o-ring seal popped out the side. So, I pulled the filter off, reseated the ring amnd reinstalled. No problems for the time being. Mentioned the furthering problems to the friend and he had a oil pump concern, maybe a stuck pressure relief valve in the pump. So, I added some seafoam and she ran fine for a few days. Today I started it with trouble, thought the trouble came from the cold temps, so I turned her over again and it started. I let it warm up, drove away, parked for a min, piled away and drove 2 miles until the engine died, pulled over, thought it was electrical, so I restarted it no problem, then turned it off to inspect. The oil filter at the crimped point blew apart and the dipstick read empty. She has been towed home. What are my problems? Areas of concern? Diagnoses? Is the engine done, or maybe a new oil pump? Thanks
1982 Jetta D 268k/who knows
TylerDurden
Turbo Charger

Re: Oil filter woes

Post by TylerDurden »

Yikes.

If the motor can still be turned by hand, it may be wounded... how badly is the question.

The oil-pressure relief valve may be stuck. It is integral to the oil pump.

Bentley does not describe it. Libbypapa posted a generic diagram:
oilpump.jpg
I would replace the pump with the later version (higher output) and install a pressure gauge.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Have a nice day.

'91 Jetta ECOdiesel TD - clean & complete (less motor/tranny) for sale

'82 Westy Vanagon 1.9 N/A - 23.5mpg
'86 Jetta TD - 45-50mpg
'81 Dasher Wagon 1.6 N/A - 52mpg
'84 Wasserboxer - DOA, parts donor
'94 Passat wagon VR6
'03 Jetta TDI wagon 230K, 52.3mpg
'89 Jetta N/A - 51mpg
'82 Caddy 1.6 N/A - Sold
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Wow, that's a first for this problem that I've heard. I'm thinking that either the bypass valve is stuck, or somehow you got a bad batch of filters (if the flange split), or somehow the sealing surface is messed up allowing the seal to push out. However, that doesn't explain why different problems happened. But, it sure sounds like too much pressure to me.

You may be able to fix the pressure issue and refill with oil and the engine may be fine, but it may not be fine. Depending on how starved for oil it was, you could have wiped out the bearings. You'll have the whole bottom end of the motor apart to fix the pump, so maybe you can pull off a rod cap or two and check the bearings while you're there.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
robbertwilliams
Cetane Booster

Back on the road! A friend stopped out yesterday and started the process alone. Dropped the pan, pulled the pump, and pulled #3 rod cap. Everything looked quite fine, no marring of any surface. Today, used some plasti-gauge to measure the clearance (just to make sure) and were well within the factory tolerances. Also checked the oil pressure, figuring it may have dropped, and it looked good (60). She drives great.
robbertwilliams
Cetane Booster

Thanks Charlie!
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Did you take the old pump apart to check if the relief valve was stuck?
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
Dakotakid
Diesel Freak

Post by Dakotakid »

......and the Oscar goes to:........

Shell oil company, makers of that fine Rotella oil.......
Any one ever heard of an oil pan with roughly 7 thimblefuls of oil in it????
You heard it here first!

Rob's got a higher pressure pump now.
The center-core beam melter has been given a new lease.
coke

Post by coke »

I use Rotella oil all the time. I love it. Good stuff.