intake too loud!!

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Gromit
Cetane Booster

intake too loud!!

Post by Gromit »

AAZ in Kubvan, for now NA, no turbo, intake and exhaust manifolds from 1Y.
AAZ in Kubvan.png
The intake is loud: loud like muffler-fell-off loud. Not too bad at idle, but loud booming noise when under way. I'm gonna get a ticket if I go into town.

I'm trying to work out the quietest muffler setup, but I can't hear the exhaust over the intake. What do I do? The air cleaner intake setup from the donor car (95 Golf) won't fit under the hood.

Quickest solution I can think of is to put on the manifold/air filter from the old A1. I know it will restrict, but will it harm the newly rebuilt engine? It would smoke under heavy load, but I can keep a light foot on the pedal until I find a better solution.

I'll go to the junkyard tomorrow to find something that will fit. How will I know if it will be quiet? Would the length of pipe between filter and manifold affect this? The type of pipe? Would longer/shorter help? I suppose it needs an enclosed filter rather than that cone filter.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Re: intake too loud!!

Post by 82vdub »

I've found that if you remove the intake cover and air filter on my NA, that it's pretty loud when it runs. If you're valve to piston timing is pretty good (reducing as much overlap as you can), you may be able to add some more length and bends to the intake runner to try to knock down the noise. The air filter you have on there is a pretty open style element (meaning that it's not reducing much sound level at all), so that may add to it.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Yep, with the 1.6, even pulling off the snorkle/tube make it sound like an exhaust leak.
I wonder if some sort of restriction on the intake pipe would narrow it down and quiet it.
That's all the 1.6NA snorkle/tube does.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
VWCaddy
Missing Linkz

Post by VWCaddy »

Not sure if this would work in this application, but I fashioned a cold air intake on my '82 pickup and it quieted the intake noise quite a bit:
- http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel/CheapTri ... dAirIntake

'82 VW Caddy, 1.9D engine, FN tranny w/ Quaife, Missing LinkZ shift linkage
TylerDurden
Turbo Charger

Post by TylerDurden »

Restrictions are not so good... longer and more serpentine pathways will help, especially if they are not resonant (or even lined with soft material).
Have a nice day.

'91 Jetta ECOdiesel TD - clean & complete (less motor/tranny) for sale

'82 Westy Vanagon 1.9 N/A - 23.5mpg
'86 Jetta TD - 45-50mpg
'81 Dasher Wagon 1.6 N/A - 52mpg
'84 Wasserboxer - DOA, parts donor
'94 Passat wagon VR6
'03 Jetta TDI wagon 230K, 52.3mpg
'89 Jetta N/A - 51mpg
'82 Caddy 1.6 N/A - Sold