Drive flange spring missing??

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

zman
Turbo Charger

Drive flange spring missing??

Post by zman »

I took off my output flange to replace the seal and remove a broken axle bolt, The bolt wouldnt budge so I went to the wreckers and pulled a flange off another trans but the thing is ...The new flange had the spring affixed to it so I thought my spring would be behind the seal but it`s not there.
Now I`m wondering if there is a spring on the other flange and maybe someone didn't want to compress the springs and just deleted them.
What kind of damage would it do if both were not used and as well what if I put together the one side with the spring and the other side doesn't have one?
I`m not trying to skimp but my car has been down for too long and I need to get it driving again. Maybe pull the other axle off in a month or so and check it. I dont know if using the spring on one side will affect anything if there is no spring on the other.
Thanks for advice.
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Re: Drive flange spring missing??

Post by bscutt »

When I resealed my 7A transmission I don't recall there being any springs in it and didn't have to compress anything to remove the clip and change the seals. On the other hand my FF transmission did have springs and they had to be compressed. Don't know if someone removed them on the 7A or if there was a different design but never had any problems with that 7A.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
zman
Turbo Charger

Post by zman »

Thanks for the info. I guess I should have said what I was working on. It is a 020 GP 4 Spd.
I was mainly concerned that using a spring on one side only (if there is not one on the other side) may put uneven pressure inside the transmission.
damac
Diesel Freak

Post by damac »

I haver never messed with a 4 speed, are the flanges connected the same way as a 5 speed?

Like a special washer, retainer, spring, flange, then circlip?
1985 jetta turbo diesel, 5 speed manual
zman
Turbo Charger

Post by zman »

I guess they are different. I found out my 4 spd uses a smaller diameter seal as well it does not use the spring behind the hub. Well that's another lesson learned .
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Right, I don't think the seal for a GP will work on a flange from a???
well most if not all the 5-speeds are different diameter where the seal rides.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.