starter disengaging while cranking

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

ad
Forum Historian

starter disengaging while cranking

Post by ad »

Now that its cold, it takes a little more cranking to start.
My problem is that the starter disengages from the flywheel when the first cylinder fires...but its not enough to actually start the engine.
So I only get one or two cranks, then the starter just spins at full speed.
Sometimes it will stay engaged for longer.
This is never a problem on a warm day or warm engine, because it starts immediately.
Any ideas besides a new starter?
1991 Jetta 1.6L N/A
TylerDurden
Turbo Charger

Re: starter disengaging while cranking

Post by TylerDurden »

If it works when warm, it may just need some minor attention.

I would clean the solenoid plunger and starter shaft (where the bendix travels). Then use dry-lube on both to help maintain full engagement.
Have a nice day.

'91 Jetta ECOdiesel TD - clean & complete (less motor/tranny) for sale

'82 Westy Vanagon 1.9 N/A - 23.5mpg
'86 Jetta TD - 45-50mpg
'81 Dasher Wagon 1.6 N/A - 52mpg
'84 Wasserboxer - DOA, parts donor
'94 Passat wagon VR6
'03 Jetta TDI wagon 230K, 52.3mpg
'89 Jetta N/A - 51mpg
'82 Caddy 1.6 N/A - Sold
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

x2 on the bendix
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
texcl
Turbo Charger

Post by texcl »

Mine did that too, I ended up replacing the starter under warranty and the bushing in the bellhousing to correct the problem. The solenoid was faulty but the bushing was worn though in a spot indicating it was off center possibly.
1980 Dasher 1.5l
Golf/Jetta
Turbo Charger

Starter / Transmission Problem (Hunted)

Post by Golf/Jetta »

Before
The same problem has hunted this car as discribed below. I ended up doing a clutch replacement and while I was at it, I did the starter (new) / transmission (good/strong condition) swap.

After

Starter
When I go to start the car in the FREEZING COLD (-22) it turns over the engine 1-2 revolutions, it then spins freely until let go of the key and ends with a dead crunch that sounds like the starter gear slamming into the flywheel.

Transmission
It didn't do this before but the reverse gear jumps out when there is a load on it and 2nd gear did feel all there but has slowly getting smaller on the shifter.

Car 1997 Volkswagen Jetta 1.9L TD

I was just about to post this until I saw this.
'94 City Jetta - 4 Dr - 2.0 Gasser
'97 Jetta - 4 Dr - 1.9 TD
1.6L N/A Diesel Engine with a ACH Tranny

Sold for 200 '92 Jetta (WolfsBurg) - 4Dr - 1.6 Diesel TD 1.9L - Alive
texcl
Turbo Charger

Post by texcl »

I think you need to take it out/then apart and take a look for fouling and wear spots, check the bushing in the transmission to see if it is worn out too. You need to replace the bushing everytime you put a new starter in according to my starter instructions, makes sense, if the starter bushing is fouled up it will put the shaft out of kilter and throw everything off.
1980 Dasher 1.5l
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

Add a 'hot start relay'.
vwtyp133
Turbo Charger

Post by vwtyp133 »

Sounds like a bunch of really good advice, including the Ford fenderwell starter relay / 'hot start relay'; just have the VW ignition switch feed that relay, and it will usually deliver more power to the VW solenoid (and save the life of your ignition switch!).
texcl wrote:Mine did that too, I ended up replacing the starter under warranty and the bushing in the bellhousing to correct the problem. The solenoid was faulty but the bushing was worn though in a spot indicating it was off center possibly.
BTW texcl, the Jetta/Golf/Rabbit transverse engine mountings have the starter located toward the vehicle's front, ie. NOT right under the exhaust manifold/down pipe as on our Dashers/Quantums/Audis. Their cooler location sure provides for a less solenoid-killing environment! New bushing is always nice, even if you have to hone one to fit. :) BTDT
J.R.
SoCal
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Re: Starter / Transmission Problem (Hunted)

Post by Quantum-man »

Golf/Jetta wrote:Before
The same problem has hunted this car as discribed below. I ended up doing a clutch replacement and while I was at it, I did the starter (new) / transmission (good/strong condition) swap.

After

Starter
When I go to start the car in the FREEZING COLD (-22) it turns over the engine 1-2 revolutions, it then spins freely until let go of the key and ends with a dead crunch that sounds like the starter gear slamming into the flywheel. Transmission
It didn't do this before but the reverse gear jumps out when there is a load on it and 2nd gear did feel all there but has slowly getting smaller on the shifter.

Car 1997 Volkswagen Jetta 1.9L TD

I was just about to post this until I saw this.
Strange that your main clunking is happening on the turn off, as far as I know that should be the bendix withdrawing.
Never had to replace a bush on a Quantum. Maybe they leak oil enough to lubricate them.

It's only bcause of you Golfy types talking about changing the bush over the years, that I was aware of them. Carbon brush wear, or oil-logging[if that is a word :mrgreen: ] has happened, but I don't remember which one of my 8 had the brush wear, and my gold Q was the only starter that needed the oil draining out and that may not have been the cause of the difficult starting, as there were 7 out of 12 piston rings stuck in at the time :shock:
maybe I had one that had solenoid issues, but that must have been 15 years ago. This is why I still drive Quantums and wont change, unless forced to. Just so trouble free.

My friends may laugh, but as their cars become uneconomic to repair after only a few years, mine keeps going :D
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)