Lazy man's heat tweeks in a Jetta.

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

TylerDurden
Turbo Charger

Lazy man's heat tweeks in a Jetta.

Post by TylerDurden »

[ Spawned from another thread about heat in a Dasher: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11302 ]

Removing the airbox is a pain. So I took some shortcuts.

I already put foil tape on the damper doors of my '89 Jetta's airbox (the foam was shot). But, I thought there might be more old foam in the heater core, so I did a ghetto trick that worked well in my '86...

I drilled a few holes to get a compressed air blowgun aimed at the heater core.

A mini bar-clamp can hold the forward vent dashpot in the open position:

No pics, but maybe you get the idea. With the heat control lever in the full hot position, I reversed the blower fan leads and used the airgun through the holes to move loose debris to the evaporator while the fan was running in reverse..

Then, I restored the blower leads, flipped the dash lever to cold and used the blower fan to blow junk out the front vents.

I got some more junk out this way, but not a lot, since I already had cleaned it once. So, I taped over the holes and put the console back in.

I also saw this trick on another forum: put foam pipe insulation into the gaps in the grille.
Cut slits to get the foam past the vertical grille supports.

It's waterproof and the only tool you need is a knife. The grille is quite far from the radiator, so the fan can still pull air through the radiator if the engine ever needs it.

These pieces are from last year; I just got them out of storage and pushed em into place. I'm too lazy to make em straight & pretty, but they work.
Have a nice day.

'91 Jetta ECOdiesel TD - clean & complete (less motor/tranny) for sale

'82 Westy Vanagon 1.9 N/A - 23.5mpg
'86 Jetta TD - 45-50mpg
'81 Dasher Wagon 1.6 N/A - 52mpg
'84 Wasserboxer - DOA, parts donor
'94 Passat wagon VR6
'03 Jetta TDI wagon 230K, 52.3mpg
'89 Jetta N/A - 51mpg
'82 Caddy 1.6 N/A - Sold