eco diesel engone bay question

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

bbob203
Turbo Charger

eco diesel engone bay question

Post by bbob203 »

came up on an eco diesel for a good price just wondered what this was on the firewall. a relay for something?? what for?

91 jetta gl na german built
91 jetta gl ecodiesel
TylerDurden
Turbo Charger

Re: eco diesel engone bay question

Post by TylerDurden »

Clean engine bay. :D

I took a quick look at mine. The one on the right seems to be for the dual radiator fans. The one on the left might be for the AC, but I'll have to dig deeper to know for certain.
Have a nice day.

'91 Jetta ECOdiesel TD - clean & complete (less motor/tranny) for sale

'82 Westy Vanagon 1.9 N/A - 23.5mpg
'86 Jetta TD - 45-50mpg
'81 Dasher Wagon 1.6 N/A - 52mpg
'84 Wasserboxer - DOA, parts donor
'94 Passat wagon VR6
'03 Jetta TDI wagon 230K, 52.3mpg
'89 Jetta N/A - 51mpg
'82 Caddy 1.6 N/A - Sold
bbob203
Turbo Charger

Post by bbob203 »

yea I'm goin to pick it up Thursday its down in south carolina 2200 bucks. new clutch pressure plate, tires, timing belt, accs. belts, glow plugs, shocks and struts with mounts. oil change every 3000 with rotella t! 151k on the mileage. 2 owners. need to be converted to r134 for a/c to work and has a cracked windshield.
91 jetta gl ecodiesel
the man 53
Turbo Charger

Post by the man 53 »

Looks like it might have cruise.
bbob203
Turbo Charger

Post by bbob203 »

o yea its got cruise proabaly what I'm most excited about.
91 jetta gl ecodiesel
Asymtave
Diesel Freak

Post by Asymtave »

From what I understand (have read) all Eco Jetta's came with a standard option package. Manual trans, cruise, A/C, moonroof, crank windows, lacking the trip computer and tach unfortunately.

Eric
81 Pickup
91 Eco Jetta
TylerDurden
Turbo Charger

Post by TylerDurden »

Wish mine had a sunroof/moonroof. :(

I think cruise is a tradeoff for a tach, they both use the w terminal on the alternator.
Have a nice day.

'86 Jetta TD - 45-50mpg
'94 Passat wagon VR6
'89 Jetta N/A - 51mpg
'82 Caddy 1.6 N/A - Sold
Corlebra
Glow Plug

Post by Corlebra »

I'm quite sure those relays are for the 3speed cooling fan set up and Glow Plugs.

My Eco doesn't have cruise/moonroof/or a tach. i feel screwed :(

lol
91 ECOdiesel- Coilovers - MBC - 30yo 1.6 powerplant :(
Asymtave
Diesel Freak

Post by Asymtave »

Hmmmmm. Can't find that reference now - maybe I imagined it.

Here is a pretty good rundown of the equipment - http://www.oocities.org/vwecodiesel/features.htm

I guess mine is optioned to the hilt - A/C, cruise, crank moonroof. Not sure about the 6 speakers yet.

Eric
81 Pickup
91 Eco Jetta
Asymtave
Diesel Freak

Post by Asymtave »

Here it is - same website different page - about halfway down:

http://www.oocities.org/vwecodiesel/overview.htm

"And perhaps to make it more attractive to potential buyers, most (or all?) ECOdiesels were sold "fully loaded", equipped with Option Package Q8, which consisted of air conditioning, a manual sunroof, cruise control, and a six-speaker "Heidelberg" audio system."

Sorry about the off-topic. (That website does talk about a heavy duty cooling system - so the additional relays may be for cooling fan(s).)

Eric
81 Pickup
91 Eco Jetta
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Just like with the modern TDI's. You get the very top of the line with a TDI model. Sometimes wish that you could get a bare bones vehicle with a TDI in it, kind of like the market that the Rabbit served years ago. How about a bare bones Jetta with a $2000 TDI engine option? Probably sell more of them.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
Dakotakid
Diesel Freak

Post by Dakotakid »

I've always gotten a huge kick out of that geocities eco site. This guy could sell ice cubes to the eskimos.
Here are some of the reasons why:
1) this info does not say you have 6 speakers installed for the stereo. It says that it has 6 speaker "preparation." The wiring is apparently there in the usual places: dash, doors, and rear shelf. The speakers which come in these are the same old little cheapies in all the other Jettas. Most of the cars (if not all) had the usual 4 speakers.

2) The particular model of VW design radios eventually go bad and no longer work on the AM dial. Eventually, FM quits, too.

3) The usual sunroofs eventually weather and the tracks no longer allow smooth operation. Additionally, the seals begin to break down and allow more moisture in around the track complicating the already mentioned problem. Replacement parts for these sunroofs are really quite expensive (if they are still available).
The standard sun roof works to take away about an inch of head room from the non-sunroofed cars.
Over time, the sunroof material does not allow the roof paint to fade evenly with the rest of the roof.

4) I have yet to see one of these cruise control units actually work.

5) I believe it was this same website which used to state that only 72 1992 models of the Eco were ever sold in the US. Funny thing, I live in a relatively isolated part of the US and I've personally seen at least 10 of these 1992 Eco's residing in my town. They are all gone now (except for one). I know they were 1992's because I walked up to them and read the VIN.

6) The 5 speed which came in these is the much hated 4.25 final drive version of the 020.

I happen to own a fairly pristine '92 Eco and I do not see the 3-speed fan as a good thing. It makes replacement a real problem and I have never really needed the extra cooling effect of a dual fan like this in any of my Mk. II's (except maybe in my 16 valve GTI on a 100 degree day).
My Eco (thankfully) does not have the sun roof and has the usual crank windows (yippee again).

But, if anyone truly has to believe that these are rare and super-coveted, I would sure part with this one for a rather stiff price. It's pretty much been in dry storage for 8 or so years (with occasional runnings and oil changes, etc.).
The center-core beam melter has been given a new lease.
TylerDurden
Turbo Charger

Post by TylerDurden »

+1 on the cruise... (except maybe the cruise on the '89 Carat I had mighta worked, I can't recall). Sure don't work on my '89 Jetta from Hell.

+1 on the sunroof. Also, the rubber wiper on the back edge fills with crud and rots the metal flange. Then the water sits in the tray, instead of spilling away to the internal gutters. But, I sure like the fresh air & sun... Can't do a ragtop anymore, I need a 4DR & real trunk.

The low final is not always bad, I use my '86 to tow. The ECO has big bumpers though, so a hitch will be harder to make (or more $$$).

Radio is a non-issue for me, the voices in my head drown-out everything else anyway.
Have a nice day.

'86 Jetta TD - 45-50mpg
'94 Passat wagon VR6
'89 Jetta N/A - 51mpg
'82 Caddy 1.6 N/A - Sold
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

I agree with you about the sunroofs. My 86 GTI leaks like a sieve. The sunroof on the mk3 is much improved. Looks like they have the edge raised up about a inch and water can't come in because it all drains away down inside the door posts and out the bottom of the car. If the drains plug then you have a problem.
My cruse still works on my 91TD GL and original AC with r12. Electric window and vacuum locks have never skip a beat either.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
bbob203
Turbo Charger

Post by bbob203 »

dakota kid what do you reccomend in place of the 4.25? I'm gonna be picking up an ags trans It has the 3.67 with 90k on it for 100 bucks and was gonna put the taller .71 in it and toss it in my n/a. but am think thinking now I might put in my eco. opinions?
91 jetta gl ecodiesel