'85 Jetta TD

This is a place for us to share progress on and upgrades to our vw diesels.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Fatmobile
Global Moderator

'85 Jetta TD

Post by Fatmobile »

I've been storing stuff in this car every since I bought it about 4 years ago.

Nothing about it is pretty :D
I got it running shortly after buying it, then set it out back while I worked on other projects and gathered parts. I have a rear bumper and trunk lid for it.
When I got it started this time; diesel poured out of the injection pump.

Sooo,.. I pulled the pump, the sprocket/shaft had too much play in it so the whole pump had to be rebushed and sealed.

Good time for a new timing belt.
I-shaft bearing inspection revealed that they looked great, always good to see. Not just because of the extra work required to replace them but because it's a sign it was well maintained or has low miles. The odo says 177,000. I usually see bad bearings at 150,000.
T-bolt that holds the lower timing belt cover on was broken so the waterpump and AC bracket had to come off to replace that.

The dipstick tube had the biggest blob of silicone I've ever seen, at the base of it and the upper support for it was cut off. Luckily there is an '86 Jetta diesel at the salvage yard with the same style dipstick/tube.

One leaky injector and they were all set to the wrong pressure so they all got pulled apart, cleaned, tested and set.

It had been starting well with one bad glow plug a leaky injector and pump so no surprise it runs great with all those things fixed and timing set.

All back together,.. well mostly:

Today I got the fuel lines to and from the tank replaced.
The water seperator had already been removed but I was after the check valve and didn't want to many splices so replaced it with one piece of urethane.
Now I can hook up a battery and move it around. It will need some brake work though.

I'll probably sell this one as soon as it's roadworthy.
How much is a great-running and gone-through, though crappy-looking Jetta TD worth? :lol:
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
bbob203
Turbo Charger

Re: '85 Jetta TD

Post by bbob203 »

id say probably around 1000 i just payed 2200 for a very nice eco from the south.
91 jetta gl na german built
91 jetta gl ecodiesel
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Thanks for the estimate. How far did you drive for that?
I think it should cost more for the peace of mind given with new pump seals and bushings in a real TD pump, with a slight governor mod).
I-shaft bearings known to be good.
injectors tested set and good
New timing belt/idler.
Water seperator and check valve removed, tank screen cleaned.
... and I know my TD will beat your eco in a race, ha.

I'm not sure how much of this was done on your new car or how much needs done.

I know I still have the brakes to go through before it's safe enough for the road but,..
I want to get over $2000 for it.
A door and fender swap will improve the looks alot,.. and I think the one at the salvage yard is the same color..
I'd really like to throw the engine in a beautful 4-door Golf.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
bbob203
Turbo Charger

Post by bbob203 »

seems like the engines worth more by itself than in the car lol. id love to get my hands on a pump like that for mine.

I work for an airline I can fly wherever any major airline flys for free or very cheap so it makes it easy to buy cars in far away lands the drive home was about 700 miles well worth it. the car needs a few things but still in damn good mechanical shape.

here are some pics of it.

http://m711.photobucket.com/albums/deer ... L/?src=www
91 jetta gl ecodiesel
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

I'm sure you are right about the engine being worth more than the car,..
but because it's in a running car, they get to hear it, see how much power it has.
I'll get some interior pics once I have all the parts moved to somewhere else.
Did I mention this was my MK2 parts shed? ha.
You'll get a laugh, the interior is pure Iowa farm car. Probably had bales hauled in it.

The windshield is good, it has a tach and there are a few other good parts but the best thing that could happen would be to get hit in the rear and collect insurance,.. then put the engine in a better car. :D
Probably could get by without the accident but the cash would help pay for the swap and no real harm done. haha.
I think I know where there is a lovely white 4-door, '91 Golf that has sat for awhile.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
bbob203
Turbo Charger

Post by bbob203 »

i love that for two cars with full collison insurance i only pay 75 bucks a month!
91 jetta gl ecodiesel