90 Jetta transmission whine

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

coke

90 Jetta transmission whine

Post by coke »

Just curious what the experienced minds out there have to say. My 90 Jetta runs excellent, drives excellent. Real great deal for a grand. However, the transmission whines in it. Its not unbearable, by any means and hardly noticeable at highway speeds.

Of course, one of the first things I did when I brought it home was change the transmission fluid and filled with the appropriate amount . The noise is somewhat reduced but still noticeable. So, my question is what causes it? There aren't any adverse side effects such as hard shifting, grinding gears or syncros, or anything. Other than the noise, its flawless.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Re: 90 Jetta transmission whine

Post by 82vdub »

It probably only whine's in 5th gear, correct? This I would attribute to 5th gear being run low on oil and the gear got hot. It's either lost it's heat treatment due to this, or the bearings/bushings or whatever it is that suspends the gear in it's proper orientation and mesh with other gears could have been damaged leading to a mesh with the other gear slightly off from what is ideal.

I've owned two Mk1/Mk2 VW's with 5 speeds and they both have the 5th gear whine. I have previously stated that I would consider any 5 speed Mk1/Mk2 trans to have a junk 5th gear in it when buying a transmission or vehicle with the 5 speed trans. It's my default position since my only two references all have this whine, meaning that 5th gear is compromised.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
coke

Post by coke »

No, whines in every gear. ;)
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

If the noise isn't gear related, then it's an issue with an output or input shaft/bearing somewhere. Did the whine show up after you changed the fluid, or was it always there?
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
coke

Post by coke »

Always been there. Since I picked it up. The crap that came out of the gearbox was stinky and black. Very dark colored. It seemed that most of it was in there ,nearly 2 quarts.
TylerDurden
Turbo Charger

Post by TylerDurden »

I rekon it could still be a gear, or pair of gears... they are constant mesh trannys.

I changed my gear oil today. It also looked like used diesel motor oil and smelled a bit cooked. For all I know, it could be a decade old.
Have a nice day.

'91 Jetta ECOdiesel TD - clean & complete (less motor/tranny) for sale

'82 Westy Vanagon 1.9 N/A - 23.5mpg
'86 Jetta TD - 45-50mpg
'81 Dasher Wagon 1.6 N/A - 52mpg
'84 Wasserboxer - DOA, parts donor
'94 Passat wagon VR6
'03 Jetta TDI wagon 230K, 52.3mpg
'89 Jetta N/A - 51mpg
'82 Caddy 1.6 N/A - Sold
coke

Post by coke »

Ditto. Mine was def old. I tried the ole Penzoil Syncromesh to see how it'd work. I've heard good things about it. I might change it out to straight GL4/GL5 80w90 gear oil, see if that quites it down. It shifts so great and other than the noise is the best transmission i've had in a Jetta yet. Disappointing.
the man 53
Turbo Charger

Post by the man 53 »

When I was younger and didn't know I put 80w-90 in one and it never shifted correctly. I later find out it is supposed to be 75w-90. I put that in and it shifted way better, but I think the damage was done as it didn't shift perfectly.
Dakotakid
Diesel Freak

Post by Dakotakid »

A good friend of mine suggested me running a 50/50 mix of the GM oil and gear lube. Seems to be doing fine....has not been that many miles yet. The fifth gear housing end of the trans is weeping at the gasket. But, I do not think there is a correlation. I need to replace the gasket as soon as I can get to it.

Any body else running GM oil develop any leaks???
The center-core beam melter has been given a new lease.
coke

Post by coke »

You mean the Syncromesh? I'm running Penzoil Syncromesh same (profanity removed by moderator) as the GM stuff in a yellow bottle w/ a lower price tag)

I have no issues yet. I've only got around 5-600 miles on it though.
Dakotakid
Diesel Freak

Post by Dakotakid »

Yes, the yellow-bottle Pennzoil Synchromesh.
The AGS trans shifts very well with no whines, bangs, clanks.
The center-core beam melter has been given a new lease.
coke

Post by coke »

Who knows why mine whines. I'm not concerned. It goes and shifts great, other than making a noticeable noise. Don't fix what isn't broke, right? Just wondering if anyone had any possible ideas on what might've caused it or something like that.
joat
Turbo Charger

Post by joat »

does it whine worse when at a stop light ( clutch pushed in) ? even in neutral? if so , it might be the throw out bearing ( behind the green trans cap )
1992 Jetta (gasser to TD 1.6)
2000 TDI Jetta
1990 Jetta (Gasser RIP @ 875,000Km)
1976 Rabbit (RIP)
1972 Superbeetle (RIP)
1971 Fastback (type 3 RIP)

A pessimist is a well informed optimist
coke

Post by coke »

No only when in gear and moving.
jettaman8691
Diesel Freak

Post by jettaman8691 »

I drained and re-filled my 5 spd the other day with Lucas tranny oil and auto tranny fluid. Sounds good and shifts fine, so far.
1986 n/a Jetta
1986 Jetta; gas to n/a
1991 Jetta; gas to turbo diesel
1976 VW Bus; gas