Oddball Turbo Parts

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Caerbannog
Diesel Freak

Oddball Turbo Parts

Post by Caerbannog »

I'm gathering the pieces to install a turbo setup for my '82 Rabbit. I picked up a '92 Jetta with, as it turns out, a turbo motor from a '85 or '86.

The plan is, I'm to transfer the turbo bits to my healthy NA motor, and rebuild the turbo motor later. (The German turbo block with oil squirters over-heated because the PO allowed it to run with a water pump with ~1/4" side play. One piston took some effort to remove.)

Many pieces are, surprisingly, still available from VW, but expensive. One part that comes to mind is the pressurized air hose between the turbo compressor and the intake manifold, part 068129628B from the EKTA. This right angle hose, about 7" long on the outside, connects the 50 mm outlet of the turbo to the 45 mm inlet at the manifold. My "good friends" at the dealer tell me it'll cost $160!!

The PO was using a random scrap of a radiator hose, but that doesn't seem like a good solution. There are some silicone reducers available in the aftermarket for somewhat less than the dealer, but not in those dimensions. I should keep in mind that intercooling is a possibility so the solution would, ideally, be flexible. So, what are people using?

I extracted the wastegate from the housing to check on its operation, and in the process wrecked the graphite seal on the flange. The EKTA doesn't acknowledge the wastegate being separate from the turbine housing. Any hints on replacing that seal?

Finally, there is a gasket on the trapezoidal flange between the exhaust manifold and the turbo turbine housing. There's no mention in the EKTA on this, either. Solutions?

Thanks.
'82 1.6 NA Rabbit
'80 1.5 NA Rabbit parts car
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Re: Oddball Turbo Parts

Post by Fatmobile »

There isn't usually a gasket between the manifold and turbo.
I usually run a file over the surfaces quick and put them together.
I suppose a thin layer of high heat silicone wouldn't hurt but I wouldn't use a metal gasket.

One on the turbo exit.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
Caerbannog
Diesel Freak

Post by Caerbannog »

Fatmobile wrote:There isn't usually a gasket between the manifold and turbo.
Really, no gasket? I must have just seen flakes of rust and thought that was a gasket.Very strange. I guess I'll just clean the surfaces and call it good.

I got the one for the turbo exit, multi layer steel.

How about the wastegate gasket and the compressor outlet hose?

I can't stomach the big bucks for that hose.
'82 1.6 NA Rabbit
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Not sure about the wastegate gasket.
Jack might have the turbo to intake elbows.

If not; GEEBEE might know where to find them.
If anyone would know it's him. If he can't get them he'll make em.
Check with him over at the GTD forum.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
the man 53
Turbo Charger

Post by the man 53 »

You can buy adaptors for your compressor outlet to pipe or whatever from Ebay, or my favorite is Silicone Intakes. I have the 1.75 to 2 adaptor for my k24 to 2" pipe.
Caerbannog
Diesel Freak

Post by Caerbannog »

the man 53 wrote:You can buy adaptors for your compressor outlet to pipe or whatever from Ebay, or my favorite is Silicone Intakes. I have the 1.75 to 2 adaptor for my k24 to 2" pipe.
I have to admit that I looked at Silicone Intakes but they didn't seem to have the 1.75" to 2" 90 degree reducer listed... plenty of other sizes though.

I'm checking eBay now... thanks.
'82 1.6 NA Rabbit
the man 53
Turbo Charger

Post by the man 53 »

I went with a straight as I intercooled. Ebay is your friend, call the silicone intakes, they may have something.