Cars and Parts
Please list location (city, state) of merchandise in thread title

Moderator: Fatmobile

Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Re: WTB Pick up

Post by Vincent Waldon »

My $0.02 CDN...as a former diesel caddy owner:

- they were only made for a couple of years, many decades ago.
- they were based on the A1 chassis, which history has shown can rust in some expensive places

So: they are rare, which drives up the asking price, and they tend to rust out. This means that any that you find will either be kinda expensive for a 30 year old vehicle and need work, or surprisingly expensive for a 30 year old vehicle but not need much work. :D

VW vans are in exactly the same boat, btw. The days of finding something pristine in a farmer's field for a couple hundred "get it off my lawn" bucks are pretty much gone... all the farmers where I live know damn well how much that rustbucket in their north forty is worth. :wink:
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs
KCCats
Cetane Booster

Post by KCCats »

I believe I'm giving up on finding a VW Truck. I may either try to MAKE one out of my Golf, by cutting it in half and putting a small Allum utility box on the back!
Or find a small utility truck thats 4 wheel drive and swap my motor and trans into it!
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Wouldn't it be cool to take a syncro AWD system and put that under a Rabbit pickup?
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

I saw that too! Hey Surfcam, What are the differences between the Cummins 4BT1 3.9 and the Izuzu 4BD1 3.9 ?
Never really looked at a Izuzu. But can't really see it been the same. Both companies have a lot of patents on there engines and aren't into sharing unless you pay big time. Predatory preparatory. They aren't Google ,Wikispeed or have anything you can copy.
I'm off the grid for a bit and on the move to just North Sweet Grass MT. Getting a heated 5 car garage. :D :D :D :D :D If anybodies on a road trip and gets a frozen bunny tail PM me and you can have a warm spot to work if I'm not off windsurfing.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
KCCats
Cetane Booster

Post by KCCats »

Just saw it in your signature. I have an Izuzu cab over with the 3.9. Orriganaly I had 3 of them and had plans on putting one with the 5 sp into a 86 Nissan KC! Still wonder why know one does a small turbo diesel in a small/midsize truck! I might try to find a Colorado and still do it?
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

Big 4 cylinder diesels have alot of vibration harmonics. I would guess the average person wouldn't put up with it. Heck they don't even like diesel's period. My stepvan is a transplant it came with a gas engine. I would love a tdi minivan. I will have to transplant a T3 or a Magic Wagon?
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
KCCats
Cetane Booster

Post by KCCats »

I have NO vibrations at all in my Izuzu! I have an 8X8X14' box and a 27' X 8.5' X 7' tall snowmobile trailer and I have No problem pullin 6 sleds gear and people 75 mph on the hyway! And can get 10-11mpg doin it! I would think that motor in a small airodynamic p/u could get 20-25 all day long!
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

I'm moving this to the discussion forum, ha :)
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.