83 Rabbit wanting to swap engine need help

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

welk87
Glow Plug

83 Rabbit wanting to swap engine need help

Post by welk87 »

I purchased a 83 vw rabbit 1.6 diesel and had issues with the block heater. Tried replacing the block heater couldn't get it to not leak and it eventually got hot after we thought we had got the situation fixed...the temp gauge wasn't working and we were stranded and fed up so we drove it off the highway. Anyways the head now either needs redone or we need to replace the engine. Not sure what engines are compatible or are easiest to swap. The current engine isn't completely a lost cause but if it isn't to hard to find would rather just swap the engine. Also has anyone else had major issues with leaks at the block heater. Had several issues finding proper fitting freeze plugs. Finally got some 36.5's to try if we keep this motor. Any advice would be appreciated. New to the diesel world.
TylerDurden
Turbo Charger

Re: 83 Rabbit wanting to swap engine need help

Post by TylerDurden »

Howdy.

Motors seem to be easy to find when ya don't need one. With gasoline prices currently high in the USA, diesel cars/motor prices are rising up too.

If you are near the rust-belt, you might find a cancer-ridden MK2 for a decent price that you can pillage for motor and spare tranny.

If you are financially flush, you can still find new & rebuilt long-blocks and crated generator motors that can be outfitted with parts salvaged from your buggy.

http://www.vwdieselparts.com/turbom.htm

(Please add your location to your profile.)
Have a nice day.

'91 Jetta ECOdiesel TD - clean & complete (less motor/tranny) for sale

'82 Westy Vanagon 1.9 N/A - 23.5mpg
'86 Jetta TD - 45-50mpg
'81 Dasher Wagon 1.6 N/A - 52mpg
'84 Wasserboxer - DOA, parts donor
'94 Passat wagon VR6
'03 Jetta TDI wagon 230K, 52.3mpg
'89 Jetta N/A - 51mpg
'82 Caddy 1.6 N/A - Sold
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Welcome to the forum. What's your mechanical skils and are you fairly versed at working on cars? If you are going to own an old VW, you need to buy a Bentley repair manual. It will save you more $ then it costs you.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
fj40dave
Cetane Booster

Post by fj40dave »

Where ya at?
welk87
Glow Plug

Post by welk87 »

I actually won't be working on the car, my dad will be he has worked on cars all his life not many diesels though. He actually does autobody repair but has done a fair share of all around work on them. We also have a friend that works on diesel semi trucks and knows quite a bit about them. So doing the work won't actually be a problem. We are in the central Illinois area near Peoria.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

It sounds like you're versed at working on cars. At a minimum, I would pull the head and inspect the block deck for flatness. If it's flat, likely you'll just need a reconditioned head and rebuild the top end. That's how I'd proceed at this point. Replace the engine if you find one cheap, you know it's good, or there's something major wrong with yours (block wise).
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
fj40dave
Cetane Booster

Post by fj40dave »

and keep your eye out for them twisters runnin through the middle of the country!