over-presurized crankcase

Moderator: Fatmobile

Big Larry
Glow Plug

over-presurized crankcase

Post by Big Larry »

Hello VWers. I have an 83 Vanagon/Transporter 1.6 diesel with an over-pressurized crankcase problem--to the point where it spits oil out of my dipstick tube. The rig evidently sat in a garage for a long time because it only has 38k on it. I know its low-miles are real because it is super clean and the engine is still factory green.

Its low miles makes me think (pray) that the pressure problem is easily fixable. Can the pressure come from something other than blow-by? Could I need a valve adjustment? Could it have to do with a semi-clogged muffler?

Here is some other info that might help with the diagnosis: I pulled the valve cover vent hose and a fair amount of smoke came out while running.

A while back I added some Lucas Oil Treatment. Really thick, syrupy stuff. I have since drained it and changed the oil filter, but could it have clogged something?

Thank you for your time and any ideas.
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Re: over-presurized crankcase

Post by bscutt »

I have seen cars that sat a long time having bad valve seals but I don't know if that would contribute to blowby. Could be stuck rings though.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
bc
Turbo Charger

Post by bc »

Old thread, new post.
I had the same thing happen to me. '83 Vanagon, w/83,000. The thing had major blow by. So I did a compression test and decided to tear into the engine. Found 2 broken rings. Bearings were all good though.
'83 diesel vanagon
'85 diesel Jetta
'86 diesel Golf
kcminck
Glow Plug

Post by kcminck »

Hi, Not familar with the 1.6 does it have a PCV valve?
bc
Turbo Charger

Post by bc »

No PCV valve on a 1.6 diesel
'83 diesel vanagon
'85 diesel Jetta
'86 diesel Golf