1979 Diesel 2 Door

This is a place for us to share progress on and upgrades to our vw diesels.

Moderator: Fatmobile

CarlosA
Turbo Charger

1979 Diesel 2 Door

Post by CarlosA »

Here are some pics of my latest rabbit, i`ll use this thread to document the resurrection.

P.O. Installed rear wooden floor with hinged door for the tire. I have a correct backseat that will go right in here.

And the problem it has:
brettj20
Cetane Booster

Re: 1979 Diesel 2 Door

Post by brettj20 »

looks like a good rabbit to fix up 8)
CarlosA
Turbo Charger

Post by CarlosA »

As of this week the car is now titled, registered, and legal! I have been driving it around town and I like the ACH transmission so far.
CarlosA
Turbo Charger

New quarter/wing/vent glass

Post by CarlosA »

I went ahead and swapped in some non-moving vent/quarter/wing windows yesterday. These replaced the glued on style. I was tired of looking at the gobs of silicone, L brackets, and other methods to hold them in place over the years. I am happy with the result, they are clean, quiet & low profile - i`d probably be just as happy with bolt-on windows since opening them is nice sometimes.

It was very easy and straight forward, though i`d suggest getting the frame/window channel from the donor car - having just the glass & rubber *might* work after you remove the old vent & sub frame.

There is one pop rivet to drill out behind the door panel, I replaced it with a small bolt & lucknut for now.

Before:

After:
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Get a dash cover on that dash, it's really hard to find one in that good of shape.
Looks like it is starting to rust on the A-pillar. I think there is a piece of foam up in there that should get pulled out.

I like the rear storage area. Several friends drive with no rear seat and I pull mine when hauling a large load. It is more noisy.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
CarlosA
Turbo Charger

Post by CarlosA »

Dash cover done, i`m going to be taking care of the rust ASAP. Thanks for info on the foam - I`ll check for it.

The rear plywood deck was pretty good and stout for fitting anything you could need to haul. I pulled it out and put a mint backseat & rear mat back in there - mostly for noise.

There is a small hole in the drivers floorboard, very easy fix I need to get around to soon.
VanBoy
Cetane Booster

Post by VanBoy »

Hey, that little "counter" looks handy! I want one! There is place for the burger, fries and drink. Wish my 78 Rabbit had it....
1999 E350 ClubWagon 7.3L Power Stroke
1990 E350 ClubWagon 7.3L IDI x2
1977 Kenworth K100 Cummins NTC-350
1977 IH Transtar II Cummins NTC-290
1977 IH Transtar II Cummins Formula 290 (ongoing project)
1978 VW Rabbit 1.5L (ongoing project)
And a few other gas rigs....