1.6 vs 1.9 IDI heads

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Corlebra
Glow Plug

1.6 vs 1.9 IDI heads

Post by Corlebra »

Question for you smart folks out there...

I've got a 91 1.6 Ecodiesel. Currently, it has a 12mm 1.6 solid lifter engine from an 81 MK1. The original engine that came out of my MK2 is fried, my machinist said the scours are too deep to bore.

So, my next step, is to rebuild the head that came off that engine. I know the blocks can't be machined for flatness, I've heard the heads can be, but I need to know exactly how much can come off?

secondly, I was looking into getting a 1.9 Short block, port/polishing my 1.6 head and using that to cut down on costs.

This would become a 'hybrid' engine I suppose, but will the 1.6 head, after mild port/polish flow nearly the same as a stock 1.9 long block?

any input will be much appreciated :)
91 ECOdiesel- Coilovers - MBC - 30yo 1.6 powerplant :(
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Re: 1.6 vs 1.9 IDI heads

Post by Fatmobile »

If you need to shave the head.
You probably need to line bore the cam too, otherwise it'll bind.
Normally the head is bent straight first.

I've heard the mechanical head on a hydro block is more difficult to seal than a hydro head on a mech block.

It is possible to get 1.7 pistons from europe.
I built an engine with 80mm pistons, that should remove any scratches.
That was 1st oversize. I would have chosen stock pistons and left a little more cylinder wall if I could have found them.
The pistons cost $100 more than regular new TD pistons and I would have had to pay that much for another block anyway.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
the man 53
Turbo Charger

Post by the man 53 »

I would ask your machinist what the bores measure. I would bet it is something he just doesn't want to do or can't for lack of equipment. These engines usually are close to not needing bored for the size, usually it is the out of round condition that makes it bad.

There was a guy who put a 1.6 head on a 1.9 block, he used hydro though. It raised the compression to 25:1 or something, which isn't all that good. I would think if you could put a pipe plug in the oil drain in the block you could do it.

The 1.6 head can flow very good, but with the 7mm valves the aaz head has it will usually have the advantage. That is not a mild port and polish though. If you just gasket match it probably won't flow that closely to the 1.9.
KCCats
Cetane Booster

Post by KCCats »

I have a mech head on a hydro (eco) block. With the turbo the drain had issues with oil return!

To be honest I wish I had NEVER rebuilt my 1.6 b;ock at all! You can get a COMPLETE 1.9 converstion crate motor for about $3k! I have about $4 in rebuilding my 1.6!