1.6 na starts but not like yesterday

Moderator: Fatmobile

JayBee
Glow Plug

1.6 na starts but not like yesterday

Post by JayBee »

Haven't had a problem for the 18 months i've owned this '82, easy start, daily driver, Hawaii. Cold start, without getting inside, just reach in pull knob and crank. Until yesterday. It seems like cold start isn't working anymore, cable moving all the way to the pump, but not firing right up. I've been spoiled for sure. I've got to get in, pump the accelerator until it starts, with a cloud of whiteish gray smoke. It will start without the cold start knob out, but when i pull the knob out, the idle smooths right out. So that seems like the cold start is still working. After warmed up and sitting for an hour or so, it still starts easily, much longer and it's the pump and smoke deal again. When driving the power seems the same, idles smooth, no difference other than the morning or cold starting issue. Glow plugs? I've changed out the fuel filter in hopes there was some clogging. I did use a fuel treatment(cetane) recently, so thought that maybe there was some side effect from that. Any thoughts on where to start?
coke

Re: 1.6 na starts but not like yesterday

Post by coke »

Glow plugs. :P Check the fuse on the firewall and make sure its not burned out. Its not likely it would start with a blown fuse but it may in the tropical temperatures. I'm not sure (We don't have such weather in Maine). I'd start there though. You could have a few burned out. If the only adverse symptom is cold starts I'd start there. And, the only real sure way to test glow plugs is either pull the injectors and look through the holes while they're on or pull them out and hook them up to a 12v source and visibly check for red hot glow.
JayBee
Glow Plug

Post by JayBee »

I just got off work, tomorrow off, so i'll check the fuse in the morning. I have had a minimal sporadic leak from, I believe the antenna, so there could be some issue with that fuse. Today i noticed the fan didn't kick on when i went up a hill that usually heats things up, is there a connection between the two? I'll spend some time under there in the morning and see. Thanks for the speedy reply. I priced glow plugs here in Hilo, $22 each, didn't catch the brand cause i was check checking the $$. I think it's something more like the fuse or a ground, it just seemed to happen too quickly.
JayBee
Glow Plug

Post by JayBee »

The other issue i've had is the backup lights. They are intermittent, when shifting into reverse they will light up and then go out, i noticed in Bentley that they are connected to the glow plugs somehow. Grounding problem? Everyone in America is probably asleep by now, so....
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

The backup light problem may well be the backup light switch. If you have the round two-terminal type sometimes removing it and cleaning it can help but I had to actually remove the washer from mine to make it seat a little farther into the transmission to work reliably. Still sometimes I have to put it in and out of reverse once to get the switch to work. If you have the rectangular type switch the switch may be going bad and I haven't had much success with those. I don;t think there is a relay involved in any of those. Of course if the switch isn't getting power there may be a fusebox problem.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
JayBee
Glow Plug

Post by JayBee »

Glow plug fuse was blown. I wasn't sure where it was at first, then it almost bit me, no cover on the box, I'll need that along with the fuse, probably should buy a few fuses if and when i find them. Any good substitution suggestions for that fuse?
Thanks.
coke

Post by coke »

Put a maxi fuse holder between the two screws and use a 50 amp maxi, those are available more commonly than the 50 amp metal strip fuses.
JayBee
Glow Plug

Post by JayBee »

Thanks, sounds like a good solution, I'm still wondering about the cause of the blown fuse. I guess i'll just replace and see what happens. I started it up today, three pumps on the accelerator with the cold start knob out and fired right up, interested to see how the new fuse affects it all. I'll replace tomorrow and update. Thanks again.
JayBee
Glow Plug

Post by JayBee »

Ended up with a German made 50 amp strip fuse, Napa, someone ordered it but didn't need it. Not the strange looking stock one, but same length so it lined up with connection.Didn't find out what vehicle it was for, pricey at $6.00. Improved startup, back to normal. Thanks
JayBee
Glow Plug

Post by JayBee »

Found similar looking fuse at www.bluesea.com.
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

The stock 50 amp strip fuses are readily available for less than $1 each. Get two and add one to the glove box.
JayBee
Glow Plug

Post by JayBee »

They weren't available here, and i'm in a very wet marine environment. I don't have a cover for my connection, so weather conditions may be a factor, the bluesea fuse has enclosed the link and the way it connects you can check condition wihout poking at it, just seems worth a few bucks more. Besides that, i needed it now. We'll see how it holds up.
JayBee
Glow Plug

Post by JayBee »

Well, everything is back to normal. Pull out the coldstart knob, wait for the glow plug light to go off and one turn of the key and fires right up. I don't even have to get in the van.
The reverse lights are working,but i have to hold down on the shifter to keep them on. I've driven this van daily for a year and a half and really haven't had any problems. Smokes under load, up hills, blackish gray, would like to clean that up but i don't think it's all that bad. What might be the problem causing the smoking? The engine doesn't use hardly any oil, I really don't need to add between changes. More power would be a good thing, but i just don't really care that much. Love this old van.