1991 sticky ignition/accessory switch

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

ad
Forum Historian

1991 sticky ignition/accessory switch

Post by ad »

The ignition switch on my jetta is wired such that when you put the key in, the radio comes on (dont have to turn the key to acc. position).
The problem is that sometimes when I remove the key, the radio stays on. I have to put the key in and out a bunch of times, wiggle it, etc. to turn off the radio.
Sometimes I come back to the car after stopping somewhere, and the radio will be on again. One of these days Im going back and find a dead battery, so Ive started removing the fuse if Im going to be gone long. I tried spraying a little lube in there, it may have helped for a while, but it still happens.
Anyone else have this problem? Is replacing the switch the only option?
1991 Jetta 1.6L N/A
EcoTX
Glow Plug

Re: 1991 sticky ignition/accessory switch

Post by EcoTX »

I tried this exact same thing when I wired in my radio to key power.

My ignition switch is also "hit and miss" in all positions, likely from being old and worn out.

So I just decided to wire the radio up to the constant 12V source that the cigarette lighter uses.

Then you can turn on/off the radio ANYTIME, key or not.

Just gotta remember to turn it off, or you could end up with a dead battery!
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

yeah I did that on my '75 rabbit years ago and turned down the radio one day to talk to someone. forgot about it and came out to a dead battery the next day.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
DrAnonymous
Cetane Booster

Post by DrAnonymous »

Couldn't you move the radio power wire to a 12v line thats switched to the key run position. It sounds like they made a special radio power circuit otherwise you could turn on your fan and other circuits with just the key in.

Most radios have 3 power lines

- lights (for switching the radio face plate to dim at night)
- standby which is always on to keep things like the clock and other memory stuff like stations
- on which is the main power that actually lets you turn the radio on and drive speakers. this is always switched
ad
Forum Historian

Post by ad »

Yes, I know I could rewire it to another circuit, but I would like to fix the problem, not work around it. I have amps and subs and all soldered connections so i dont want to disturb or splice anything.
What I'm wondering is whether the problem is usually in the switch (electrical portion) or the key tumbler (mechanical portion), and is it fixable or is replacement the only option?
1991 Jetta 1.6L N/A